using external floppy disc drive to tranfer

News, updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

darvidis
Atarian
Atarian

using external floppy disc drive to tranfer

Postby darvidis » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:48 am

I have been using a Atari STE1040 with Notator music program for over 20 years. On my old Pc with xp, it had a floppy disc drive. I used to format floppy dics to 720k on Atari and then transfer midifiles from Pc to disk. My new PC doesn't have floppy disc drive. Will an external drive allow me to do this. Is there a recommended unit that works, no fuss. Please somebody help me. I'm desperate.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: using external floppy disc drive to tranfer

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:56 am

Any USB floppy drive capable of handling 720K floppies will be good.
I'm not against GMO, I'm against that children play with fire.

Miguel
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Miguel » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:33 am

I haven't had any problems reading or writing 720K DOS floppies using an imation USB floppy drive (model D353FUE) with Windows XP......although I tend to format 720K DOS floppies on my Yamaha RM1X rather than the Atari or PC because it's more straight forward.

Do you still have your Atari?

BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby BoNuS » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:16 am

Well not all USB drive are equal good in creating Atari floppy's. I have good experience with TEAC drives (some models of USB Dell) and bad with YE-data (brand x). The TEAC formats under Win 7 still good DD format, but the YE doesn't really work good on DD and even seems to have problems with HD formats. Try to find an USB drive that works for you :) Native drives (with 34 pins socket on motherboard) under XP are highly recommended. Just my2cents ;)

MS doesn't really support DD under Win7 anymore but most of the times it works okay. Just use CMD line and then FORMAT A: /T:80 /N:9
http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
2 x Falcon 030 - a mint Atari TT - Mega STE - 2x STE - 1x Mega 2 - 2x STFM - 1 x STF - 3x SC1224 - 2x SM124 - 1x SM125 2x Portofolio+interface
- 3x 1435 monitor - 1 x Ult.Ripper cardridge - Mega 1,2,and 4 ( just to much Atari stuff)

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:22 am

99% of USB floppy drives will work fine. no need to mess about with command lines on the pc to format the disks, just format them on the ST.

Miguel
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Miguel » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:02 am

Still it's a good idea to inform people of the command line in case anyone needs it, like say someone has acquired an STFM they might need to use the command line if only to be able to DOS format one floppy with the DOS formatting software to DOS format more floppies on the Atari, I don't use it myself but I have it written down on my disk box just in case.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:22 am

Miguel wrote:Still it's a good idea to inform people of the command line in case anyone needs it, like say someone has acquired an STFM they might need to use the command line if only to be able to DOS format one floppy with the DOS formatting software to DOS format more floppies on the Atari, I don't use it myself but I have it written down on my disk box just in case.

the Desktop format option formats disks DOS compatable. I've been using this method for years and never had any issues.

joska
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby joska » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:48 am

What spiny said. If you just want to use the floppy to transfer data between the STE and a PC, get any USB floppy drive and format the disks on the Atari.

However, disk drives and floppies are getting old and worn by now, so unless you prefer floppies for nostalgic reasons, I'd rather get a PARCP-USB or maybe a floppy emulator.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:56 am

spiny wrote:the Desktop format option formats disks DOS compatable. I've been using this method for years and never had any issues.

This depends on the TOS version. The desktop format on older TOS versions is not fully PC compatible. But there are many alternate formatters available. If we are talking about an STE, as seems to the case of the OP here, then all TOS versions should work.

Miguel
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Miguel » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:00 pm

ijor wrote:
spiny wrote:the Desktop format option formats disks DOS compatable. I've been using this method for years and never had any issues.

This depends on the TOS version. The desktop format on older TOS versions is not fully PC compatible. But there are many alternate formatters available. If we are talking about an STE, as seems to the case of the OP here, then all TOS versions should work.

Correct.

Social Media

Return to “Website Discussions”