News, updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Project Universal Atari ST SW Database - interactive

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:54 am

I replied about 2 hours ago. After morning coffee :D
I referred here bugfixes in games, not hard disk adaptations self. Because it is related with question: what is better: originals or cracks, patches, adapts. Sad thing is that we have lot of bugs, TOS incompatibilities, even some faulty releases - sold for money. Of course I received lot of thanks and sometimes even financial acclamation from diverse people. In very most of cases in e-mails.
What is better is subjective and relative. Best is to have all choices on table, and all info available, but organized :D
There is way to stop global warming.

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:05 am

AtariZoll wrote:I replied about 2 hours ago. After morning coffee :D
I referred here bugfixes in games, not hard disk adaptations self. Because it is related with question: what is better: originals or cracks, patches, adapts. Sad thing is that we have lot of bugs, TOS incompatibilities, even some faulty releases - sold for money. Of course I received lot of thanks and sometimes even financial acclamation from diverse people. In very most of cases in e-mails.
What is better is subjective and relative. Best is to have all choices on table, and all info available, but organized :D

I still think this is a good idea. A huge software database with originals, and cracks by whoever all on one site would be a good resource. Marcer has a lot of games on his DVD, so I think he was testing originals fully years ago, but not sure these days. Of course all your cracked games also be good. So content wise all the files are freely available.

If there was a view to list list what TOS versions it has been tested on, possible TOS versions and "unknown rating" then if something does not work on some TOS versions or machine, they can rate "faulty" or something, then it can go into a list of things to possibly fix.

I think it would be a huge undertaking to maintain the site and get it operational. Though I can offer help in programming a site to do whatever you want. Its not difficult to program a SQL database and output data to HTML pages. If its all custom programmed then we can do everything how you want it.

My concern is , sites like atarimania have pretty good system already, plus floppy scans, box scans, manuals etc already. Re-doing those things would be huge undertaking in just copying what is already there.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:11 pm

I have experience with MySQL and PHP + WEB page editing. Don't think that there is needed some very advanced code.
The aim is not to make some Atarimania site competition - not oriented to hold images, pictures and other things, but focused on helping around possible problems and doing specific database related with that.
Testing was always somehow underestimated. Some titles are well tested, mostly by people liking those games. but majority is not.
I don't think that Marcer tested anything in details.
We have situation that some projects were started, then failed. In my opinion one, which still has section here was just not good idea. That was ambitious, but whole orientation is not so interesting for most of people. Question is how interested is Atari people for quality of SW instead quantity.
Let see - who is, please write something here.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:52 pm

AtariZoll wrote:Testing was always somehow underestimated. Some titles are well tested, mostly by people liking those games. but majority is not.
I don't think that Marcer tested anything in details.

you should make available to anyone to: 1) download 2) try 3) and report about that download.

- as easy as possible
- without need to register
- to write down it's own test configuration

I would like to have one place to download all applications and games that will work on e.g. Falcon.
I really do not want to download 10 versions of same game and to be able, only _after ten hours_ of trying, to say that _this_ version work...
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:37 pm

calimero wrote:...
- as easy as possible
- without need to register
- to write down it's own test configuration
I would like to have one place to download all applications and games that will work on e.g. Falcon.
I really do not want to download 10 versions of same game and to be able, only _after ten hours_ of trying, to say that _this_ version work...

That's all exist now - you DL game, there is e-mail address or forum. and you can write all your observations. And it works, just not for much titles.
Such wishes with "all" are always unrealistic in my opinion. But U have already for instance French site with special page(s) with Falcon and Falcon compatible games. On my site you may see what works on Falcon - most is fixed in some way.
But idea about knowing what specific release is Falcon compatible is good, and that's actual part of idea.
Btw. there is some list with Falcon compatibility of plenty games, with some infos about which work with tools like STEtoFalc .
http://www.atari-wiki.com/?title=Falcon_Games_List

And surprise - Google gave this as 3rd hit on "atari falcon game compatibility" :D
http://atari.8bitchip.info/atricl.php
That's actually early quick table design, I done some 4-5 years ago.

Social Media

Return to “Website Discussions”