Weblinks on AF - Open in new tab please

News, updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Weblinks on AF - Open in new tab please

Postby catmando » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:28 am

Is there a setting in the forum software where any weblinks contained in forum posts are opened in a new tab rather than in the same window? Gets very tiresome clicking away from the forum all the time and then back again.

cheers
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Weblinks on AF - Open in new tab please

Postby Dal » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:18 am

Not as standard. There are mods that can do this, but most I have found treat all links the same so either every link opens in a new window/tab or they all open in the same.

I found a mod called Prime Lunks that seems to have the flexibility to differentiate between internal and external targets but this hasn't been maintained in a couple of years. I've been bitten before with mods that eventually become incomparable with phobb3 releases.

Depending on what I'm doing, I don't always want this behaviour dictated to me and prefer making the decision for myself by using Right-click, open in new window/tab.

So any mod would need to be user-centric so as not to change the current behaviour unless a user explicitly wants to. It should also preferably support AutoMod as this mechanism makes regression easier than undoing a load of manual edits.

If you find a phpbb3 mod that fits the bill, then post it here. I'll deploy it onto the dev copy of AF and give you access so you can check it out.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:25 am

@Forum admins: please don't do that

@catmando: most browsers (Chrome and Firefox for sure) support middle mouse button click as 'open link in a new tab'
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:28 am

@Adamk : I agree, as stated I prefer letting my mouse do the talking (read my post properly please). I also wouldn't deploy a mod to the live site without testing it in the dev environment first.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Champions_2002
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Champions_2002 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:45 am

on Google Chrome and I think Firefox

when you click the link hold the control key and it will open a new tab
A member of Atari Legend & Atarimania ST & 7800 department

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:08 am

yep. In chrome you just hold the control key down when clicking a link to open in a new tab. I been using that feature for a long time.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Dal wrote:Not as standard. There are mods that can do this, but most I have found treat all links the same so either every link opens in a new window/tab or they all open in the same.

I found a mod called Prime Lunks that seems to have the flexibility to differentiate between internal and external targets but this hasn't been maintained in a couple of years. I've been bitten before with mods that eventually become incomparable with phobb3 releases.

Depending on what I'm doing, I don't always want this behaviour dictated to me and prefer making the decision for myself by using Right-click, open in new window/tab.

So any mod would need to be user-centric so as not to change the current behaviour unless a user explicitly wants to. It should also preferably support AutoMod as this mechanism makes regression easier than undoing a load of manual edits.

If you find a phpbb3 mod that fits the bill, then post it here. I'll deploy it onto the dev copy of AF and give you access so you can check it out.

If I find something, I'll post it up. Strange that is doesn't have a basic option built in. Most modern websites/forums/wikis follow the improvement I suggested for external links (obviously internal links it makes no sense to open a new tab).

exxos wrote:yep. In chrome you just hold the control key down when clicking a link to open in a new tab. I been using that feature for a long time.

Thanks for the tip, is there a way to make it the active tab right away though?

AdamK wrote:@Forum admins: please don't do that

@catmando: most browsers (Chrome and Firefox for sure) support middle mouse button click as 'open link in a new tab'

Do you still browse the web in the 1990's? I cannot fathom your reasoning.
Atari STFM

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:39 pm

catmando wrote: (obviously internal links it makes no sense to open a new tab)

Not by default, no. But I often find myself in threads that branch off and link to other threads, so in this case, I want to keep the main thread open in one tab while looking at the referenced thread in another.

There may be a setting in the admin screens somewhere, but if it exists, it would be global and affect everyone's experience. I wouldn't want to deploy such a change unless users could enable/disable it for themselves.

I think the current behaviour is pretty unambiguous. If you want to open any link (internal or external) in a new tab, use a browser that gives this flexability (safari, chrome, Firefox or IE all do this).

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:05 pm

For Chrome... click on the wheel (middle button) and it will open in a new tab.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:10 pm

catmando wrote:
exxos wrote:yep. In chrome you just hold the control key down when clicking a link to open in a new tab. I been using that feature for a long time.

Thanks for the tip, is there a way to make it the active tab right away though?

There might be extension or option to do it in chrome but I never looked. I think there is one in FF called "always open links in new tabs" but I gave up using FF , every time I wanted to quickly google something before work I had to wait 10mins for it to update to a new version. Then the layout went all alien so just gave up with it.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:11 pm

Dal wrote:
catmando wrote: (obviously internal links it makes no sense to open a new tab)

Not by default, no. But I often find myself in threads that branch off and link to other threads, so in this case, I want to keep the main thread open in one tab while looking at the referenced thread in another.

There may be a setting in the admin screens somewhere, but if it exists, it would be global and affect everyone's experience. I wouldn't want to deploy such a change unless users could enable/disable it for themselves.

I think the current behaviour is pretty unambiguous. If you want to open any link (internal or external) in a new tab, use a browser that gives this flexability (safari, chrome, Firefox or IE all do this).

I was only thinking on a global level, I think you'd be hard pushed to find anything that allows or disallows this setting on a user-by-user basis
Atari STFM

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:53 pm

I simply right click said links then hit open new tab or window. No need to alter the forum.

Social Media

Return to “Website Discussions”