Atari-Forum on CAB

News, updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Atari-Forum on CAB

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:05 am

Is there a low-bandwidth version of the forums to login with CAB?

When I use my 4MB Ste with CAB it always runs out of memory and crashes at the Board Index.

I have pictures turned off and monochrome set. But still it runs out of memory.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Atari-Forum on CAB

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:35 am

Ok, I reduced my NVDI caches and after loading Magic and Jinnee I have ~1700KB free from my 4MB and now I can load the forums without crashing. :D (barely hahaha)

So now when I go to login, it fails and says "transaction failed"

Is this because I don't have the ssl overlay? Or something else?

I am trying to get to grips with this so I appreciate any help.

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:07 am

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Is there a low-bandwidth version of the forums to login with CAB?

When I use my 4MB Ste with CAB it always runs out of memory and crashes at the Board Index.

I have pictures turned off and monochrome set. But still it runs out of memory.

Hi there, i also had a few memory issues with CAB, i switched off to Highwire and it runs nicely!
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:21 am

Well rIght now I am trying to understand cab. I will be sure and try highwire after I learn all about cab :)

Using Magxnet 1.4.2b and the cab.ovl from the magxnet root folder I can connect to internet sites (google, atari forum, etc) with cab but as I mentioned I have a problem logging in to atari forum.

I then tried the overlay from the magxnet "misc" folder but it won't connect at all. I am not sure what this overlay is.

Then I downloaded the SSL cab overlay at http://freemint.de/en/?net and tried it but I get a "file not found" error when I try to load a web page.

So I am left with the default overlay from the magxnet distribution. Is there any reason I can't log in to the forums with this?

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:13 am

Are cookies enabled? Authentication fundamentally works by associating a session with a user.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby viking272 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:20 am

Maybe try on another phpBB forum site that is very plain /out the box?
This will test if the problem is native to these sites or its the rich content on AF?

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:49 pm

Dal wrote:Are cookies enabled? Authentication fundamentally works by associating a session with a user.

Yes, cookies are enabled.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:59 pm

does phpBB have mobile version?
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Hippy Dave » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:17 pm

Dal wrote:Are cookies enabled? Authentication fundamentally works by associating a session with a user.

I use Seamonkey (similar to Firefox) on a PC and do not need cookies when logging in to atari-forum. I consider this a plus for atari-form and the software it runs on.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:12 am

I logged into atari-forum from my STe :)

I installed the magxnet Stik gateway Glue_Stik and switched out the magxnet cab.ovl with the Stik one and it worked!

But it does use more memory than the IConnect gateway (which I disabled) so I am treading on thin ice with regards to memory with it.

But all is not perfect because when I try to post a message it says "transaction failed". I wish I knew what is causing it.

But it is progress so I am encouraged. Plus the telnet client for Stik is smooth. I checked out darkforce-bbs and it worked great.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:02 am

CAB and Highwire are not suited anymore for the more modern websites. I would use a text based browser like lynx on the ST. If you turn off pictures and you can't load the css, what's the point of using a graphical browser?
There is definitely a mint port of lynx, I wonder if someone can port it to TOS/Magic as well.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:48 pm

Ah well the point of the exercise is just to do it :D I have fun trying to get all this working! I left Atari around 1995 and went PC (ugh) so some of this software I never got to try!

I have my PC for modern computing. I am not leaving it. But, I have my Atari room set up for fun! 8-Bit and 16-Bit eras. I enjoy pushing the old hardware and seeing what it can do.

When I set my falcon/ct60 up I am definitely going to run MiNT. But for my lowly(ha) 4mb STe, I just want to see what I can get it to do! :cheers:

Thank God for Atari-Forum! Without the resources and help I get here I would never have gotten my Atari back to where it is!

kristjanga
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kristjanga » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:57 am

please give us a video of your STe browsing the internet :)

Social Media

Return to “Website Discussions”