using external floppy disc drive to tranfer

News, updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

olepin
Atarian
Atarian

using external floppy disc drive to tranfer

Postby olepin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:07 am

I have been using a Atari STE1040 with Notator music program for over 20 years. On my old Pc with xp, it had a floppy disc drive. I used to format floppy dics to 720k on Atari and then transfer midifiles from Pc to disk. My new PC doesn't have floppy disc drive. Will an external drive allow me to do this. Is there a recommended unit that works, no fuss. Please somebody help me. I'm desperate.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: using external floppy disc drive to tranfer

Postby joska » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:47 am

A USB floppydrive will work, the trick is to format the disks on the Atari and not on the PC.

Another option is to buy a PARCP USB or NetUSB for your Atari.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: using external floppy disc drive to tranfer

Postby ijor » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:35 pm

olepin wrote:Will an external drive allow me to do this. Is there a recommended unit that works, no fuss.

Some USB drives work, other do not because they don't support Double Density at all (HD only). Nowadays most brand new USB drives are OEM, and then here is no reliable way to know beforehand if it works or not. Either try to get an older drive (e.g., SONY branded), or just try. They are rather cheap anyway, so you can get a different one if it doesn't work.

Most USB drives also require that the disk is correctly formatted as 720K with 9 sectors per track.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

Social Media

Return to “Website Discussions”