SainT running Froggies and Transbeauce 2 !

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

leonard

SainT running Froggies and Transbeauce 2 !

Postby leonard » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:29 pm

SainT v1.99 is released and have a great new feature !! It's the only emulator to have 6301 keyboard processor emulator, so it can run Froggies mainmenu and Transbeauce2 mainmenu !
Get more infos and download it on my webpage:
http://leonard.oxg.free.fr

Enjoy that new version !!
Leonard/OXYGENE.

ASYLvM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ASYLvM » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:39 pm

THANKYOU LEONARD!

:D

ASY

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:24 pm

wow, impressive!

bodkinz

Postby bodkinz » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:51 pm

nice one :))))

bodkinz
someone post something, i'm bored :)

p01
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby p01 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:43 am

thanks!

Thierry Kormann
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: SainT running Froggies and Transbeauce 2 !

Postby Thierry Kormann » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:53 am

leonard wrote:SainT v1.99 is released and have a great new feature !! It's the only emulator to have 6301 keyboard processor emulator, so it can run Froggies mainmenu and Transbeauce2 mainmenu !

Congratulation for this tremedous work! I am going to see the OVR's screen from Froggies right now!

BTW: the more I think about your record (268 sprites) the more I believe your are somehow cheating (the rendering is not accurate). The white square of the ball is not displayed properly or not at all sometimes. May be, we need a 11th rule (pixel accurate rendering with OR operations).
Probably some 'move's instead of 'or's at places you are not supposed to :)

Demon from CNC - still thinking about that record and how to beat it...
Demon from the Conceptors

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:39 am

Some fantastic news for us all - and some inpressive work Leonard...
>>> Trust me, I'm a Research Chemist.... <<<

manicx
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby manicx » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:00 am

Thanks a million! :)

leonard

Postby leonard » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:07 am

Probably some 'move's instead of 'or's at places you are not supposed to

Oh no !! :-) I promise my record is honest ( in the limit of what I know ). My data generator is supposed to be pixel perfect ( exactly as ALL sprites were displayed with OR). Can you do a screenshot under SainT where pixels seems to be corrupted ? I never heard about it.

My data genrator is really complicated, I "really" draw the sprite using generated code on PC to be optimal ( I mean, I don't test a rectangular area to see if I can use MOVE, I only test data that will be draw, make PC generator a bit complicated).

As far as I know ( maybe a bug ???), my data generator is 100% honest and 100% pixel perfect.
Leonard/OXYGENE.

RaZ
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby RaZ » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:33 am

Yes !
Great news and great job Leonard !
Thanks a lot.
Was known as Ozone-design in Cerebral Vortex back in the good ol'years

tobe
Atari God
Atari God

Re: SainT running Froggies and Transbeauce 2 !

Postby tobe » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:22 am

leonard wrote:SainT v1.99 is released and have a great new feature !! It's the only emulator to have 6301 keyboard processor emulator, so it can run Froggies mainmenu and Transbeauce2 mainmenu !

Nice, i'm going to test this great new feature ! :D
step 1: introduce bug, step 2: fix bug, step 3: goto step 1.

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:51 am

nice :D
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

WayneKerr
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby WayneKerr » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:18 am

Great job Leonard, it was nice for me to finally see the OVR screen from Froggies over the Fence, which has several awesome parts and superb music by Jess...:)

Thierry Kormann
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Thierry Kormann » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:58 am

leonard wrote:
Probably some 'move's instead of 'or's at places you are not supposed to

Oh no !! :-) I promise my record is honest ( in the limit of what I know ). My data generator is supposed to be pixel perfect ( exactly as ALL sprites were displayed with OR). Can you do a screenshot under SainT where pixels seems to be corrupted ? I never heard about it.

I never though one second that you were not honest or you were trying to cheat on purpose. I know you are not this kind of guy! Furthermore, after closely looking at your screen and the one from TCB, I must admit that I said something wrong and I apologize for that :oops:

I though that the white color was sometimes broken (you don't see this perfect white square all the time but rather dots or something like that) and I though that with only OR operations, you will always see the three colors perfectly no matter what. Clearly I am missing something but I don't know what yet. Coding demos was such a loooong time ago...

Anyway, once again - good job and sorry for my previous message. Did you receive my email regarding YmUserEngine.NET - BTW ?

pht
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby pht » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:46 pm

Thierry Kormann wrote :
" I though that with only OR operations, you will always see the three colors perfectly no matter what. Clearly I am missing something but I don't know what yet...."

Thierry, you point out the fact that in 16x16 sprite record screen, sprite are not masked... that means no clearing area with "AND mask" before writing "OR sprite". The result is (and you are right in that way) not really beautiful...
My first try with 250 sprites/VBL was cheaty and waveform too bad, but I used masked sprites and the display looks like much pretty (but 68000 code consuming)

Thierry Kormann
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Thierry Kormann » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:08 pm

pht wrote:Thierry, you point out the fact that in 16x16 sprite record screen, sprite are not masked... that means no clearing area with "AND mask" before writing "OR sprite". The result is (and you are right in that way) not really beautiful...

I know we are not supposed to mask the sprites but I still not understand why the white square is not always there. By combining the bits of bitplane1 and bitplane2, even if you put the white square on bitplane1 (in order to paint most of the sprite using one single bitplane - ie: the second one for the black and blue colors) - you should see it no? Do you see what I mean and may be see what I am missing? :?

leonard

Postby leonard » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:25 pm

Yep the white square strangly disappairs when many sprites overlap, but that's normal !
In the original TCB sprite, the white square is in color 1 or 2 don't remember. Anywat it's bitplan 01 or 10 , so if there is a lots of overlap, you have a high probability to get color 11 (wich is not the white).

That's why the white square disappair, just because it's not the color 11. ( if TCB uses color 11 for white, almost all sprites will appair "white", which is not very nice.
Leonard/OXYGENE.

Thierry Kormann
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Thierry Kormann » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:45 pm

leonard wrote:Yep the white square strangly disappairs when many sprites overlap. That's why the white square disappair, just because it's not the color 11. ( if TCB uses color 11 for white, almost all sprites will appair "white", which is not very nice.

Ahhhh!!! thanks Leonard. I though about overlapping but not "many overlaps". What a dumb question, I apologize... :oops: Few years ago, I would never have this kind of issue. Shame on me.

Anyway, even if I haven't coded anything yet, I didn't have something better that Pht (draw the sprite in RAM order...). I just recently though about changing the palette everytime the background is black to clear the sprites on a single bitplane (ie: put the colors to black for bitplane3 and 4). I am not sure if that could make a difference and more importantly how the data strcture will look like...

Otherwise, because you said your algorithm is really 'painting' the sprites, I guess you are not only able to clear the minimum but also paint the minimum. ie: see whether or not a OR is required no matter the sprite. This is just my guess but if this is true, it's not a trivial algorithm for sure!

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”