:: We Love Atari (Volume Two) Atari Corp. ::

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: :: We Love Atari (Volume Two) Atari Corp. ::

Postby mikro » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:10 am

KLund1 wrote:I will swear on whatever book you choose that the label was 1040ST, not 1040STf. This book says that the first all in one ST was a 1040STf.

And did it have a floppy drive? Because AFAIK, there wasn't any plain 1040 ST machines at all (i.e. without the PSU + floppy). So yours would be the first I have ever heard about.

KLund1
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby KLund1 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:28 am

My original 1040ST machine did have the PSU and FD (right side) built in. Around 2000, when I started collecting, I was confused about all the little letters I was seeing on the ST badges. (F/FM/E) Because my vivid recollection was that mine did not have any little letter. I have long since learned what they all mean, I've owed many. But like you say, I have not seen a 1040ST only badge in the past 20 years. So it must be my bad memory, or there was a very short run of them at the start of shipping then quickly changed to add an f.

But anyway, this is off topic. Probably needs it's own thread.

I recommend this book to all ST fans!! Better yet, recommended to apple, cbm, tandy, ibm fans so they can learn more about these marvelous machines!!
UPDATED: Falcon 030(FX-1)(CF int & removable SD), MSTE 4+PS3000 4160STE 2.06+HDFD STacy4-internal-USD 1040STFM+I.B.Driver-5.25"FDD 1040STF 1040ST 520ST-AdSpeed 400-48k 800+810x2+820+822+825+830+835+850, 800XL+IndusGT 600XL 130XE+XF551x2 Portfolio 1200XL APE(Warp+32in1 OS SuperVideo 2.1 256k RAMBO)+1050x2 USD'd+SIO2PC, PC1+PCH204+PCM124+PCF554x2

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:49 am

Volume 2 - Errata:

To ensure future editions are as accurate as possible, I want to list any errors in the book here for you, and to correct them if a re-print is made. Please let me know if you find anything I may have missed. Apologies for any errors that were not found in the final proof :-(

September 28th 2019: Total Changes: 5

1) Page 116, 2nd paragraph - "Atari used a Kyocera laser engine in the original SLM-804" Should be " Atari used a TEC (Tokyo Electric Co.) engine in the original SLM-804"

(Supplementary note: TEC is part of Toshiba Corp. SLM was designed by Atari Japan using the TEC print engine. According ST News (http://www.stcarchiv.de/ace/49/st-news) Toad Computer (Atari reseller in the USA) posted on Genie "I also found out that the SLM804 is really an Office Automations Systems Inc. printer - the Laserpro 5308. So if you need tech specs, toner, drums, you now have an alternative source.") I have no idea why I wrote Kyocera, I may have mixed this up with the SLM-605(?) or I had just read something about Kyocera!

2) Page 181, 3rd paragraph - "By the end of 1998" should be "By the end of 1989".

3) Page 90, Info Box - XF-511" should of course be "XF-551".

4) Page 151: FDD and HD port are mislabeled in the STE photo (opposite way round).

5) Page 13, Joystick info - "re-issued in 1997" should be "1987".

<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Last edited by Videl on Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Karl
We Love Atari (Volume One and Two)
Available now @ www.zafinnbooks.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/zafinnbooks

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:23 pm

A really well written book, crammed full of interesting information! I enjoy reading it. (But why, why, why was it typeset mostly in Arial?)

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:45 pm

@ czietz - I like Arial :-) I know traditional books use Times New Roman or similar, but I prefer the modern font which can also be easier to read. It is a personal thing perhaps? Thanks for the kind words, it makes it all worthwhile. Thanks as well for the feedback, I always want to improve the book going forward.
Karl

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:29 pm

Hi there,

Still reading the book so I'll reserve judgement till I'm finished. The general feeling is very positive though :) (but I'll post a more detailed opinion soon). In the meantime, here's a few oopsies I spotted while reading (only one chapter left to go for me):

- Page 23: "Its a shame" -> "It's a shame"
- Page 30: "arcades" -> "arcade's"
- Page 75: "commodores" -> "Commodore's"
- Page 82: "you're name" -> "your name"
- Page 90: "xf-511" -> "xf-551"
- Page 184: - "it's assault" -> "its assault"
- Page 193: "in this authors" -> "in this author's"
- Page 201: "lets not" -> "lets not"
- Page 201: "lions share" -> "lions share"
- Page 218: - On the middle left picture I recognised two people: 2nd from left - Jim Eisenstein (compare with this pic http://i.imgur.com/hBIja3X.jpg), sitting - Landon Dyer (Not 100% but I think it's Landon). I think on the far left it's Mike Fulton (http://www.fultonsoft.com/about/) and on the far right Mike Schmal but really unsure
- Page 222 - "companies computer" -> "company's computer"

Hopefully these are proper ones. Goes with the usual disclaimer that English is not my native language so I may be off in a few places :)
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:57 pm

@ ggn - I hate apostrophes! But thanks for spotting those :-) I won't add the typos to the errata, but I will add the correction to the FDD as XF-551.

On page 218, I was still waiting for confirmation on a few names but they didn't get to me in time. I obviously want to be 100% correct here though.

I will just add... You forgot something above ;-)

- Page 201: "lets not" -> "lets not"
- Page 201: "lions share" -> "lions share"

You forgive me and I'll forgive you!

Thanks again @ ggn, appreciate the feedback my friend.
Last edited by Videl on Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:07 am

Videl, I just placed my order (I'm glad I noticed the thread in time...)

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks Paolo, I'll get it shipped today :-)
Karl

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Still enjoying the book. Two typos and one further erratum found:
- p. 151: FDD and HD port are mislabeled in the STE photo.
- p. 10: The interview was in "Spiegel Online".
- p. 35: "The Atari 7800 Pro-System" [...]
Also: Was the 7800 joystick really "re-issued in 1997 by Atari Corp." (p. 13)?

Regarding the font choice: There's nothing wrong with using a sans-serif font (what you're referring to as "modern") but I could go into a lengthy, typographical, perhaps nit-picky discussion why Arial is a bad choice for body text.

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:17 pm

czietz wrote:Still enjoying the book. Two typos and one further erratum found:

Also: Was the 7800 joystick really "re-issued in 1997 by Atari Corp." (p. 13)?

Regarding the font choice: There's nothing wrong with using a sans-serif font (what you're referring to as "modern") but I could go into a lengthy, typographical, perhaps nit-picky discussion why Arial is a bad choice for body text.

Thank you @ czietz, always appreciate this feedback. Errata updated.

No, the joystick wasn't re-issued in 1997 :lol:

I agree with you, Serif fonts are tradtional and can be easier to read across long bodies of text due to the way they ebb and flow easily across the page and the readers eye line. I don't want to be nit-picky either, but Arial is treated like a orphan child, an outcast in the snobby typographical world we live in. I ike it, and considering my book is far from traditional, I think it works well in the context of this book.
Karl

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:07 pm

Yes! Ordered! :)
tá'n poc ar buile!

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:40 pm

Right, so I'm finally done reading the book. Again well done!

First thing's first, some more things I noticed (I'm not writing this right before bed time so this time Mr nitpick Karl won't spot any problems ;)):

page 227 - "machines development" -> "machine's development"
page 234 - "reflected it's market" -> "reflected its market"
page 235 - "worlds video game" -> "world's video game"
"atari france sreported" -> "atari france reported"
page 236 - "on the moniker of TX-1" - I assume you mean FX-1 here?
page 251 - "with the head-" text seems to cut off here and never continues?
page 252 - "worlds top" -> "world's top"
page 256 - "64bitRISK with support for mutiple video architectures such as sprite, pixel and character mapped systems". First of all, I assume you mean "RISC" here, right? Second, this statement is plain wrong. The obejct processor can draw objects on screen, that's true. Also the objects can be of rectangular shape, different bit depth, different palette, scaling factor, h-flipped, independantly positioned etc. The number of objects that it can display is only limited by the RAM bandwidth and the available RAM (check out f.a.c.t.s. for an exterme abuse of this). However there is not any specific mode to process character mapped modes, nor single pixels. You can certainly create objects that contain these things but it's not supported by the hardware.
page 256 - "Maximum of 800x576" - On a stock Jaguar 1024 pixels horizontally has been achieved through setting of the video mode.
page 261 - "jaguars future rival" -> "jaguar's future rival"
page 274 - "platforms architecture" -> "platforms architecture"
page 285 - "since it's inception" -> "since its inception"

In general I enjoyed reading both books and sifting through the tens of ads (some I've seen in my youth, but most I haven't!).

If I have to pick one negative thing, it would be the writing on a grander scale. Not that there's anything wrong with it as it is consisted of coherent sentences without the ghastliness of langage translators. The thing that bugged me is that there's a sense of gloom conveyed in each section. "But we all know everything went wrong, amirite?", that sort of thing that ended most sections. Even in the haydays of atari with Bushnell in charge, Warner or the Tramiels there's always that bit where the reader is reminded of the cold hard truth instead of engrossing into the story and tries to gets his/her hopes up. Kind of breaks up the suspension of disbelief if that makes any sense :). However, if someone just grabs any of the two books and opens them at a random page this is perfectly fine as each section is a quick and to the point info dump. It simply didn't make my larger reading sessions as enjoyable as they could have been.

But as I said, this is just grumpy old men's nitpicks. I don't regret buying the books or supporting Karl, and I would recommend the books to everyone :).
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:54 pm

@ ggn - Thank you. I appreciate the time you have taken to report back and alert me to those apostrophe nightmares. I have read the book a thousand times and thought I had got them all - the truth is, I think I am now apostrophe blind :-) I will make the corrections right away.

I am totally open to positive and negative feedback, so I don't want anyone to think ggn is being a serial nit picker!

With regard to writing style, I think it stems from personal injury from supporting Atari for so long! But the facts are the facts, and I wrote them as such. It's not a sugar coated perspective and if some sections seem tragic, it is because they were. But I also give praise and support to Atari where it is due, and sometimes it's hard to tell the truth even though I always wanted some of the outcomes to be so much better than they were in reality. We all have our own views and I understand exactly what you mean.

From one grumpy old man to another, thanks for your support and the very helpful feedback.

Karl
Karl

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:52 am

Desty wrote:Yes! Ordered! :)

Thank you @ Desty, enjoy :-)
Karl

alienkidmj12
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alienkidmj12 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:02 pm

videl, did you check the weight for these books vol1 and vol2, thanks ?

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:07 pm

alienkidmj12 wrote:videl, did you check the weight for these books vol1 and vol2, thanks ?

PM Sent.
Karl

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:13 am

Low Stock Alert:

Just to let people know we are very low on single copies of Volume Two now (apart from the very small allocation I am saving for a double book offering at the end of this month (Volume One and Two together), after a lot of requests to offer that).

I will also have a small number of the re-printed Volume One available at the same time, I'll let everyone know when it is available in a few weeks time.

Thank you again for all the support, feedback and goodwill I have had from you all here.
Karl

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:08 pm

Videl, man, you're crazy!!! I was still praising how nice is Vol1, the pictures, the text, the ads, and then you sent me that Vol2 full of better pictures, better text, better ads! Come on!!!
:-)

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”