All FreeMiNT builds again available and more!

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: All FreeMiNT builds again available and more!

Postby lp » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:01 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Yes, I have the same issues as Kroll. I had to switch to Jinnee as the desktop for MiNT on Hades (but I prefer it anyway :D )

SET_MMU.PRG is causing problems with MiNT, I used the default configuration file you refer to and (the only change I made was to adjust the TT RAM line to fit my machine's memory), but after booting MiNT, it boots all the way through (I see all the boot output - black text on a white background), but then ends with losing the video signal to the monitor and it goes to a black screen.

Under TOS, I can boot to the desktop with SET_MMU and sysinfo shows the memory split as it should be,

Not sure which Nova driver you are using as there are many variants, but the Mach64 driver was notorious for having cache problems. I had to put a tiny app in the auto folder before the Nova driver to disabled the cpu caches. This keeps the screen from going black. Then Thing Desktop was setup to auto start another tiny app that turned the cpu caches back on. Sounds silly but that's what solved it for me.

Just prior to my Hades060 passing away I fixed this inside the Nova driver by disassembling it and recompiling it, thus I could boot my Hades060 at full speed. All this work is now halted and stuck on an IDE drive I can't access. However, I think you can find these small apps in the set_mmu archive: cache_of.prg and cache_on.prg
Last edited by lp on Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:04 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:[
SET_MMU.PRG is causing problems with MiNT

That would be strange. IIRC, MiNT does not touch the MMU tables when PMMU is already in use.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:17 pm

lp wrote:
TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Yes, I have the same issues as Kroll. I had to switch to Jinnee as the desktop for MiNT on Hades (but I prefer it anyway :D )

SET_MMU.PRG is causing problems with MiNT, I used the default configuration file you refer to and (the only change I made was to adjust the TT RAM line to fit my machine's memory), but after booting MiNT, it boots all the way through (I see all the boot output - black text on a white background), but then ends with losing the video signal to the monitor and it goes to a black screen.

Under TOS, I can boot to the desktop with SET_MMU and sysinfo shows the memory split as it should be,

Not sure which Nova driver you are using as there are many variants, but the Mach64 driver was notorious for having cache problems. I had to put a tiny app in the auto folder before the Nova driver to disabled the cpu caches. This keeps the screen from going black. Then Thing Desktop was setup to auto start another tiny app that turned the cpu caches back on. Sounds silly but that's what solved it for me.

Just prior to my Hades060 passing away I fixed this inside the Nova driver by disassembling it and recompiling it, thus I could boot my Hades060 at full speed. All this work is now halted and stuck on an IDE drive I can't access. However, I think you can find these small apps in the set_mmu archive: cache_of.prg and cache_on.prg

Oy, that's unfortunate about the Hades. But for the IDE drive, you could put it in a IDE-to-USB enclosure (or other methods) and image it with DD and then mount the partitions and copy the files over to another filesystem, then you would have access to all the files again. I do this with my Hades (raw backup image of the drive and partition contents copied over to folders on the desktop drive along with DVD images - multiple redundant backups). Just an idea. You've probably already thought of these things anyway. :lol:

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:23 pm

@TheNameOfTheGame, @Kroll - try what Lonny suggests, i.e. putting cache_of.prg before your graphics card driver (just to be sure, don't put cache_on.prg anywhere yet). I'm pretty sure this is what causing you the video issues as SET_MMU.PRG, among other things, enables caches (that would be another way to fix your setup - disable cache in mmusetup.cnf and enable them later on).

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:53 pm

Ok, running cacheoff before the video driver causes a hard fault when booting MiNT:

cacheoff.png

So then tried placing cacheon right before mint but same hard fault.

Disabling cacheoff and cacheon and editing MMUSETUP.CNF to disable caches (removed EDC and EIC from the CACR line) gives a successful boot to the desktop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:07 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Oy, that's unfortunate about the Hades. But for the IDE drive, you could put it in a IDE-to-USB enclosure (or other methods) and image it with DD and then mount the partitions and copy the files over to another filesystem, then you would have access to all the files again. I do this with my Hades (raw backup image of the drive and partition contents copied over to folders on the desktop drive along with DVD images - multiple redundant backups). Just an idea. You've probably already thought of these things anyway. :lol:

Before the Hades became completely unusable the HD was dumped to my SCSI->PCMCIA drive. Should be accessible from my TT030 with the same SCSI->PCMCIA drive, however atm the TT030 is boxed and zero space to setup any Atari gear. Plus the SCSI->PCMCIA drive is still 900 miles away at my dad's place. :lol:

The bottom line is simple, the cache must be off at the moment the Nova driver is started otherwise the screen will go black. FYI, I didn't use memory protection. Maybe try with memory protection disabled.

Does Idek Tramielski supply a fixed/better version of the Mach64 driver? Mine went down before I was aware of his drivers so I never tested them.

Kroll
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Kroll » Thu May 02, 2019 5:48 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Ok, running cacheoff before the video driver causes a hard fault when booting MiNT:

So then tried placing cacheon right before mint but same hard fault.

Disabling cacheoff and cacheon and editing MMUSETUP.CNF to disable caches (removed EDC and EIC from the CACR line) gives a successful boot to the desktop.

Unfortunately, despite the fact that I have a very similar hardware setup like TheNameOfTheGames and in practically the same configuration when I run MiNT. I set Memory Protection=ON in Mint Setup the system is crashed during boot. Please loook at a photo.

MiNT_hades.jpg

What do you think about it, what else Can I tru to setting or it may be problerm hardware ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Thu May 02, 2019 7:29 pm

Kroll: hard to say. If you really have the same setup (same mmusetup.cnf, same auto folder, ...) one other thing could be pretty obvious and that is your RAM module isn't very healthy. FreeMiNT is much more sensitive for defective memory so if something is not right, strange memory violations are often the first thing to notice (unfortunately, people then tend to blame FreeMiNT than the hardware but the same story goes with the infamous Windows BSOD).

Kroll
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Kroll » Thu May 02, 2019 10:48 pm

@mikro: You are right. I have just test memory modules using YAART test program. Please find a photo. This confirms that there is a memory problem, I will have to check it carefully. In my Hades I have 6 x 32 MB.

YAART_TEST.jpg

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu May 09, 2019 5:24 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:That might also be a problem of how the GEMDOS emulation in Hatari works. IIRC it caches the DTA pointer for example...

While Hatari caches DTA data, the pointer to emulated code DTA is on every relevant GEMDOS call refreshed from basepage:

Code: Select all

/* Refresh pDTA pointer (from the current basepage) */
        DTA_Gemdos = STMemory_ReadLong(STMemory_ReadLong(act_pd) + BASEPAGE_OFFSET_DTA);
        pDTA = (DTA *)STMemory_STAddrToPointer(DTA_Gemdos);

But I'm not sure whether the address it uses for basepage is valid for MiNT, as it's based on TOS version:

Code: Select all

/* Get the address of the p_run variable that points to the actual basepage */
        if (TosVersion == 0x100)
        {
                /* We have to use fix addresses on TOS 1.00 :-( */
                if ((STMemory_ReadWord(TosAddress+28)>>1) == 4)
                        act_pd = 0x873c;    /* Spanish TOS is different from others! */
                else
                        act_pd = 0x602c;
        }
        else
        {
                Uint32 osAddress = STMemory_ReadLong(0x4f2);
                act_pd = STMemory_ReadLong(osAddress + 0x28);
        }

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”