All FreeMiNT builds again available and more!

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: All FreeMiNT builds again available and more!

Postby mikro » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:53 am

frank.lukas wrote:I check it cross with the 1-19-36C on a Atari Mega STE and the Network works fine with ASIX.XIF and a Lightning USB VME Interface. The kernel is hanging when SCC.XDD are loading otherwise it is working fine.

So in comparison with your previous experience with MegaSTE:
The asix.xif works not with my Mega STE before in 2018 with the Lightning VME.

the situation is better now with 1-19-36c build?

If so, then this is a much better scenario, because it is (Mega)ST specific.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:17 am

I do more Tests ...

My Atari Mega ST has a Magnum ST Alternate 8MB Ramcard (Total 12MB) and a Lightning ST USB Interface with USB and IDE or alternative instead of the Lightning ST a c´t IDE Interface.

In this setup the Network are not working. When I remove the IDE Interface the Network is working fine !

So there is something in the kernel and a IDE Interface with a normal Atari ST !?!

ping3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:02 pm

Good news! Well, it's hard to say. It depends how the IDE is mapped (Falcon compatible?), although I would expect more like hanging the kernel than problems with networking.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:14 pm

All IDE Interface in a normal Atari ST are Falcon/ST Book compatible, I think.

There are a lot of IDE Interfaces like the MonSTer, c´t IDE, Hard&Soft IDE Interface and so on ...

My Atari Mega ST has TOS 2.06 and a c´t IDE Interface.
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:25 am

Any chance to fix the IDE issuse ?

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:32 am

Well, without proper hardware to replicate it's quite hard to investigate, I personally don't own any ST-compatible IDE interface. The intriguing part is that it is somehow unrelated to *network* hardware what is crazy, considering the symptoms. I can't imagine how just a few normally unmapped IDE registers could influence the network stack and the network stack only.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 am

frank.lukas wrote:My Atari Mega ST has a Magnum ST Alternate 8MB Ramcard (Total 12MB) and a Lightning ST USB Interface with USB and IDE or alternative instead of the Lightning ST a c´t IDE Interface.

In this setup the Network are not working. When I remove the IDE Interface the Network is working fine !

I'm confused. Does the Lightning ST have an IDE interface? And network stops working when either the Lightning or C't IDE is installed? What happens if the hardware is installed, but no IDE driver?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:01 am

mikro wrote:Well, without proper hardware to replicate it's quite hard to investigate, I personally don't own any ST-compatible IDE interface. The intriguing part is that it is somehow unrelated to *network* hardware what is crazy, considering the symptoms. I can't imagine how just a few normally unmapped IDE registers could influence the network stack and the network stack only.

Hello mikro, I can send you a IDE Interface to put on a CPU with socket on it ...

joska wrote:
frank.lukas wrote:My Atari Mega ST has a Magnum ST Alternate 8MB Ramcard (Total 12MB) and a Lightning ST USB Interface with USB and IDE or alternative instead of the Lightning ST a c´t IDE Interface.

I'm confused. Does the Lightning ST have an IDE interface? And network stops working when either the Lightning or C't IDE is installed? What happens if the hardware is installed, but no IDE driver?

The Lightning ST has a IDE Interface too compatible with the Falcon IDE Interface, MonSTer, c´t IDE and so on ...

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:23 am

frank.lukas wrote:The Lightning ST has a IDE Interface too compatible with the Falcon IDE Interface, MonSTer, c´t IDE and so on ...

Yes, but you write...

or alternative instead of the Lightning ST a c´t IDE Interface.

So do you have both a Lightning and a C't? Or only Lightning? If you have both, is the problem the same with both interfaces? And have you tested with the hardware installed but no IDE driver? And does network work in TOS with IDE installed?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:05 pm

I test the Network with MiNT on a Atari Mega ST with Lightning ST and the Lightning onboard IDE Interface and the Network do not work.

I test the Network with MiNT on a Atari Mega ST with c´t IDE Interface and the Network do not work.

I test the Network with MiNT on a Atari Mega ST with a ACSI/DMA HDD and the Network work very well.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:46 pm

I'm afraid I don't have the necessary hardware, either, to try to reproduce the issue.

But Frank, I think joska's question "And have you tested with the hardware installed but no IDE driver?" is important. I think you're using HDDRIVER, correct? Can you leave the IDE hardware (c't interface or Lightning ST) installed but deactivate the IDE devices in HDDRIVER and retry? Does networking work then? I.e., is it a driver or a hardware issue?

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:09 pm

I not know what is happens now but it is working at the moment !?!

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Thanks mikro, looking forward to seeing once I get this all up and running what space I have left to run programs on a 4mb megaste.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:59 am

frank.lukas wrote:I not know what is happens now but it is working at the moment !?!

On both machines?
Jo Even

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:10 am

One machine ...

Atari Mega ST4

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:18 am

Ok, I see. Strange indeed. Do you use the same network hardware on both machines?
Jo Even

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Not both machines, one machine for all setups ..

Network hardware 1. Netusbee 2. Lightning ST USB

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:38 am

Ok, so all setups now works? Magnum + Lightning + USB network, and Magnum + C't + Netusbee?
Jo Even

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:28 am

Yes it works on both Setups.

I do not know what happens before. The Install on the CF are the same on there are no modification except the XIF Driver and in the mint.cnf change ifconfig en0 or asx0 ..., and disable or enable to load the USB loader.prg.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:20 pm

By the way, have you managed to make some progress with that Teradesk freezing? Does it happen only in the about dialog or basically in any dialog / window?

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:
mikro wrote:
TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Ok, renamed MFP.XDD to MFP.XDX and the system boots up to teradesk. However, when I selected the teradesk "about" dialog the system had a total lockup. See associated picture.

Nice. :-)

Is this with NVDI installed? If yes, try to disable other (non-essential) AUTO programs/ACCs. Also, when you see the FreeMiNT boot message, press shift and try to disable memory protection (not nice but if it works, it will give us a hint).

Yes, Nova-VDI is installed with NVDI for GDOS support. I will back out some of the AUTO folder programs/ACCs as you suggest.

Kroll
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Kroll » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:53 pm

mikro wrote:By the way, have you managed to make some progress with that Teradesk freezing? Does it happen only in the about dialog or basically in any dialog / window?

I have the same in my Hades, Only in "about dialog"

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:08 am

Kroll wrote:I have the same in my Hades, Only in "about dialog"

Hmm... that's really odd. Isn't possible that you have both misconfigured the amount of ST-RAM available? The dialog counts on the fact that there wont be more ST-RAM than 99 MB so if you don't use set_mmu.prg or it's not configured properly, Mxalloc(ST_RAM) can return a really big number.

How much ST/TT RAM SysInfo reports on your computer?

Kroll
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Kroll » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:29 am

@mikro:
First of all, I have some problem to run MiNT with SET_MMU in Auto folder (of course the next under Xboot). I check if I run MiNT without SET_MMU, in Sysinfo I see all available memory is in ST-RAM (For info I have 192MB in My Hades).
Second question is (maybe for advanced user) why if I do not run SET_MMU in Auto folder In TOS, sysinfo show me 14 MB (14+2mb is lost) in ST-RAM, 176 in TT-RAM. This split I have in MMUSETUP.CNF file ((but I remind you, I do not run it in the AUTO),
Does this mean that another program does such a splt of memory?

Maybe I should write this in the thread about Hades, the operation of SET_MMU is not clear to me and setting of the variable "carc" for cache for CPU.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:18 am

It's hard to answer your questions, I'm neither user of set_mmu nor I have a Hades. :-) I would assume that MMUSETUP.CNF has proper setup exactly for Hades. Aranym uses a much simpler/more straightforward setup with this tool.

But from your description I'm quite confident this why you and TheNameOfTheGame are seeing the frozen dialog - too much ST RAM reported. So it is a bug in Teradesk.

EDIT: A snippet from the default configuration file from the package:
# This is the file I use when I want to split the Hades RAM into ST and TT
# RAM. Copy this file to the root of you boot partition and rename to MMUSETUP.CNF
# to use it.

and then for RAM size:
# Then we set up the block that define the TT RAM. I have got a total of 40Mb in
# my Hades, and when 16Mb are gone ( 14Mb = ST ram, 2Mb lost ) we subtract that
# from the total amout of RAM available. I use 40-16=24Mb ( I WANT MORE RAM!! )
# This is the only thing you need to change in this file.

So try that file and see what happens.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:08 pm

mikro wrote:It's hard to answer your questions, I'm neither user of set_mmu nor I have a Hades. :-) I would assume that MMUSETUP.CNF has proper setup exactly for Hades. Aranym uses a much simpler/more straightforward setup with this tool.

But from your description I'm quite confident this why you and TheNameOfTheGame are seeing the frozen dialog - too much ST RAM reported. So it is a bug in Teradesk.

EDIT: A snippet from the default configuration file from the package:
# This is the file I use when I want to split the Hades RAM into ST and TT
# RAM. Copy this file to the root of you boot partition and rename to MMUSETUP.CNF
# to use it.

and then for RAM size:
# Then we set up the block that define the TT RAM. I have got a total of 40Mb in
# my Hades, and when 16Mb are gone ( 14Mb = ST ram, 2Mb lost ) we subtract that
# from the total amout of RAM available. I use 40-16=24Mb ( I WANT MORE RAM!! )
# This is the only thing you need to change in this file.

So try that file and see what happens.

Yes, I have the same issues as Kroll. I had to switch to Jinnee as the desktop for MiNT on Hades (but I prefer it anyway :D )

SET_MMU.PRG is causing problems with MiNT, I used the default configuration file you refer to and (the only change I made was to adjust the TT RAM line to fit my machine's memory), but after booting MiNT, it boots all the way through (I see all the boot output - black text on a white background), but then ends with losing the video signal to the monitor and it goes to a black screen.

Under TOS, I can boot to the desktop with SET_MMU and sysinfo shows the memory split as it should be,

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”