FX CAST ATARI ST core for MiSTer platform
Copyright (c) 2018 by Jorge Cwik
Public beta release
Cycle accurate Atari ST core.
The core features a cycle accurate 68000 CPU and cycle accurate chipset, including cycle accurate FDC that can load and run low level copy protected disk images.
This is a preliminary beta release. Several features are not fully implemented yet. They will be available in future releases. See the limitations sections below.
This release requires a special version of the main linux MiSTer application to be able to use all the available features. The distribution package includes two variants of the core. There is a limited build that can be used with the stock MiSTer application.
Currently the limited build can load standard ST disk images only. It doesn't support copy protected images.
The package includes the custom build of MiSTer. If you decide to install it, please keep the original MiSTer as a backup just in case the custom version has some kind of incompatibilities with other cores.
Type of disk images supported
- ST standard images
- MSA compressed images (custom MiSTer only)
- SCP copy protected raw flux level images (custom MiSTer only)
Loading SCP images might take considerable time. Those are huge images that sometimes might fill most of the available RAM.
- ST/STFM only. No STE functionality. No Blitter. ***
- No hard disk support.
- No user selection of the TOS version. Has TOS 1.0 UK.
- No user selection of amount of RAM. Hardwired for 1MB.
- Single floppy disk drive. Read only.
- No option for faster than real floppy disk.
- No turbo mode (CPU always runs at nominal frequency)
- No support for ROM cartridges
- A few copy protected images might not load correctly.
Note that many ST programs run only on a special configuration. If you find something that doesn't work, make sure that runs on real hardware, or at least on a modern emulator, using exactly the same configuration (most important is TOS version and RAM size).
If you find any software that doesn't run correctly, please provide as much details as possible. Also, there are multiple version for most games and titles. So you might need to provide a download link, or at least some way to identify the version you are using. If you know how to do it, a checksum hash (like MD5) of the disk file image might be helpful.
- There might be some cosmetic issues, especially on monochrome mode.
- After loading you have to hit F12 to bring the menu manually and load an image.
- VGA output on the I/O board is not well tested and not fully implemented. Color output is scan doubled, there is no 15KHz mode.
- The core seems to be sensitive to powering issues. If the joystick controller doesn't work correctly, you might need to try using a powered usb hub.
FX CAST 0.15 core. Experimental test version for newer SDRAM boards:
- Experimental support for newer SDRAM 64MB/128MB boards.
FX CAST 0.14 core. Version for standard MiSTer:
- Minor fixes.
- Optional Blitter (note that it is disabled by default).
- 4MB Ram option
- Support serial flow control and modem signals over Midi Link
FX CAST 0.12 core. Version for standard MiSTer:
- Midi Link support
- Fix no HDMI sound on some monitors (might still not work with some capture cards)
FX CAST 0.1 core. Version for standard MiSTer:
This build doesn't require a custom version of the MiSTer app. It doesn't support copy protected images. Some ST images with exotic geometry might not load.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.