The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Los FPGA, emulators and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:00 pm

NO. A forum that assumes Atari theme should not have the first 5 messages (the presentation) with this.
20
47%
YES.
23
53%
 
Total votes: 43

User avatar
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 12249
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: Far East
Contact:

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby wongck » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Everyone is entitled to speak freely.... Your point of view is different from others. My point of view is also different from others.
Who is right who is wrong, no one knows.
For you're right in your own points, other are right in their own points, I am right in my own point.
So what is fake, what is real, are all influenced.... by these speeches.
This is how begin wars between people.... we have many of such, you already seen from examples.
Dal's action will put a stop to all these discussion.... that's what the :thumbs: is for.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

User avatar
simonsunnyboy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4982
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:36 pm
Location: Friedrichshafen, Germany
Contact:

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby simonsunnyboy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:56 pm

In general, I'm still pro-FPGA because diversity keeps a user base for the forum. I personally treat it as an oldschool BBS with slightly more content than just Atari. For me this is perfectly fine, my very own BBS would follow such a policy.

Narrowminded single topic forums are quite a pest IMHO because it forces people to browse tons of different sites and pages. I do not have the time for that anymore.

So, yes, I am for openness, free speech (as long as it is not insulting) and diversity in forum topics. Although yes we also should have a primary focus on Atari ST here, indeed.

mfro wrote:Thanks Dal.

If you do not find a suitable mod: what you can always do is to create special user groups with limited access rights to certain forums and let the users decide what their primary group should be (they then just lose access to the 'unwanted' forums). Not as flexible as one might wish, but I have done that successfully in another phpbb based forum. Works fine if you limit yourself to only a small number of configurations (like a 'no MiSTer' group).


Now this sounds like a very reasonable proposal. I would support this aswell as the possibility to have a user selection on what is shown as "recent".
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

User avatar
Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 580
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:40 pm
Location: Spain

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Every time someone appeals to "Freedom of expression" using it as if their opinion is represented and that of others was an attack against that same freedom: it is outrageous.
I do not know if my poor use of the English language prevents me from expressing what I want, or if people refuse to understand me, or if society confuses endophobia with tolerance, or is the intellectual level of each interlocutor: but it is so difficult to understand that the presentation of a forum that claims to be from Atari is not logical that it occupies a machine that still not has a functional Atari core? How difficult is it to understand that an Amiga Core-based FPGA is not Atari? How difficult is it to understand that freedom of expression is for everyone and not for those who fill their mouths with it but do not admit that of others?
I do not mind swimming against the current, nor the free enemies: I firmly believe that I expose something with logic and I will never surrender to those who presume libertarian but deny the arguments of others.
The funny thing is that the thread to talk about cores Amiga, MiSTer or the grandmother who smokes in pipe: CONTINUES TO EXIST! the victimization and manipulation of some suggests that the possibility of expressing these contents in this forum has been eliminated, and this is not the case, the freedom of expression (the real one) continues to exist and one can speak to the infinite of MiSTer or Parisian fashion in Atari-forum without any problem.

José Antonio.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

User avatar
npomarede
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: France

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby npomarede » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:46 pm

@atarierno : I think Dal already explained the situation about the FPGA topics : it all started because Mist was first an atari centric platform, so it fitted the purpose of atari-forum to discuss it.
Then over the time new cores were added, related to not-Atari platform. But it was an evolution over the years, it's not like if suddenly topics about snes/amstrad/amiga/... cores appeared.

Now that these topics are there, even if they deviated from the initial ST-core topics I think it would be very rude to close them and to tell users of these topics to go look elsewhere. This would be a very bad publicity for us (users of Atari and users of atari-forum).
Maybe that in the future more attention should be required to avoid new non-atari topics (which I don't think, but some people might want this) ; but even so, atari-forum contains some "various" topic to chat about other thing that Atari itself and those sections are already there for years. Does it mean we should remove all the sections in "Various" because they don't always talk about atari ?

Anyway, if Dal can find a module that allows people to hide topics they don't want to see, it will fix the "problem".

Nicolas

User avatar
Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 580
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:40 pm
Location: Spain

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:51 pm

npomarede wrote:@atarierno : I think Dal already explained the situation about the FPGA topics : it all started because Mist was first an atari centric platform, so it fitted the purpose of atari-forum to discuss it.
Then over the time new cores were added, related to not-Atari platform. But it was an evolution over the years, it's not like if suddenly topics about snes/amstrad/amiga/... cores appeared.

Now that these topics are there, even if they deviated from the initial ST-core topics I think it would be very rude to close them and to tell users of these topics to go look elsewhere. This would be a very bad publicity for us (users of Atari and users of atari-forum).
Maybe that in the future more attention should be required to avoid new non-atari topics (which I don't think, but some people might want this) ; but even so, atari-forum contains some "various" topic to chat about other thing that Atari itself and those sections are already there for years. Does it mean we should remove all the sections in "Various" because they don't always talk about atari ?

Anyway, if Dal can find a module that allows people to hide topics they don't want to see, it will fix the "problem".

Nicolas


**************************************

Please, do not manipulate.

I can read what Dal has written (and I celebrate).

Where are you asked to close those threads?
You have read all my answers?
Why do you use non-existent victimhood?

According to your logic, we should also return to the first 5 posts occupied by the Chat ENG or FR; I do not see anyone complaining about the moderator's action on that issue.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

User avatar
npomarede
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: France

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby npomarede » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:04 pm

Atarieterno wrote:[
Please, do not manipulate.

I can read what Dal has written (and I celebrate).

Where are you asked to close those threads?
You have read all my answers?
Why do you use non-existent victimhood?

According to your logic, we should also return to the first 5 posts occupied by the Chat ENG or FR; I do not see anyone complaining about the moderator's action on that issue.

I don't manipulate, I try to go at the end of your logic : you consider FPGA topics don't belong here when they don't talk about Atari. OK, that's your opinion.
Now if someone considers that Chat forum don't belong here either, should we hide them too from the "recent topics" list ? Once again, who decide ?

And I never said I was a victim, I just try to expose that deciding that such or such topics don't belong here is highly subjective, that other people can disagree and that if we go this way then it opens the pandora box.

I voted yes to this poll, to keep all topics visible in the recent topics lists and also to keep all existing topics in AF, even if they don't strictly talk about Atari as I consider there're some connections anyway (and even if some topics are unrelated I often found some interesting things to read in them)

Nicolas

User avatar
Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 580
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:40 pm
Location: Spain

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:22 pm

The decision is always from the administrators of the forum, the users can only propose and that is what I did and it seems that it bothers you.

The "Chat ENG - FR" threads do not occupy the "Recent Topics" because this is what the administrators decided, and for that same logic neither the FPGA threads occupy it.
To give priority to subjects Atari is not to offend to FPGA with core Amiga, is simply something logical and normal. The FPGA thread continues to exist: why do you keep insisting on things that have not happened?

Please, I have patiently answered the arguments of other users of this forum, but I will not tolerate personal attacks; the survey is simple, you have participated, we have expressed your opinion and the moderators act as they think best for the forum.

Do not attack me anymore.

José Antonio.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

User avatar
npomarede
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: France

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby npomarede » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:31 pm

Atarieterno wrote:I will not tolerate personal attacks...

Do not attack me anymore.


Seriously ? Where did I say anything "personal" about you ? Personal attacks because I express an opinion different from yours ? If you take counter arguments as personal attacks then I'm afraid this discussion indeed leads to nowhere.

Anyway, as said it's Dal decision to manage this forum and I'm fine with any decison he will take.

User avatar
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2112
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:01 am
Location: STara Pazova, Serbia
Contact:

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby calimero » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:08 pm

npomarede wrote:...
Now if someone considers that Chat forum don't belong here either, should we hide them too from the "recent topics" list ? Once again, who decide ?

We should made a patch to phpBB and allow user to choose what to see in "recent topics" - it should not be complicated.

EDIT: I just found this module: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... _topics_2/

What are ACP and UCP Options? I see that this module allow per user settings but I do not know what are ACP options... :shrug:
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Dal
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4143
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:31 am
Location: Cheltenham, UK
Contact:

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby Dal » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:56 pm

calimero wrote:What are ACP and UCP Options?


ACP = Administrator Control Panel
UCP = User Control Panel
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

User avatar
mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:33 am
Location: SW Germany

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby mfro » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:18 am

calimero wrote:... We should made a patch to phpBB and allow user to choose what to see in "recent topics" - it should not be complicated...


I seriously advise against that.

Sure it's easy, but any change very likely damages the ability for automatic upgrades and thus seriously increases the maintenance effort to keep the forum clean regarding patches .
Have seen forums that needed days and weeks for upgrades instead of hours just because of a 'few cosmetic changes'. If I would be responsible, I would deny any nonstandard mod.

User avatar
Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1464
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:23 am
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby Cyprian » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:31 am

Here is how Atari-forum looks like in my RSS reader. Messages marked red are unrelated to Atari.
Actually I wonder whether this is still Atari forum.

20180316_AF.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

User avatar
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2112
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:01 am
Location: STara Pazova, Serbia
Contact:

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby calimero » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:43 am

mfro wrote:Sure it's easy, but any change very likely damages the ability for automatic upgrades and thus seriously increases the maintenance effort to keep the forum clean regarding patches .
Have seen forums that needed days and weeks for upgrades instead of hours just because of a 'few cosmetic changes'. If I would be responsible, I would deny any nonstandard mod.


OK then.
Another non-intrusive option is to write little JavaScript that users can add to this site. This JavaScript would search if there is "f=117, f=116, f=115..." (FPGA forums) in URL and then hide this DIVs from "Recent topic" (<ul class="topiclist">) box :) (this will simple hide any FPGA forum post from anywhere on site, including "similar topics"...)

What do you think? Is it win-win?
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

User avatar
Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:45 am

Cyprian wrote:Here is how Atari-forum looks like in my RSS reader. Messages marked red are unrelated to Atari.
Actually I wonder whether this is still Atari forum.


"Atari 2600" thread is unrelated to Atari? Video about kids physically destroying Amiga isn't something that one would find on an old-school Atari forums?

User avatar
Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1464
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:23 am
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby Cyprian » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:39 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:"Atari 2600" thread is unrelated to Atari?

which one?

---EDIT---
ok got it "MISTer - RE Atari 2600"
Last edited by Cyprian on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

User avatar
npomarede
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: France

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby npomarede » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:09 pm

Cyprian wrote:Here is how Atari-forum looks like in my RSS reader. Messages marked red are unrelated to Atari.
Actually I wonder whether this is still Atari forum.

At least, the "non atari thread" is clearly advertised as such in its name :)

There was the idea of creating the "various" section with less "serious" subsections so people could discuss from other things than Atari, while still interacting with the people they know on this forum.
I think that if such topics get some activity then they should be by default in the "recent topics" section, but here also maybe some people would like an option to filter it, which depends on what modules could be added to the forum to handle per user settings.

Nicolas

User avatar
Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1464
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:23 am
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby Cyprian » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:23 pm

npomarede wrote:but here also maybe some people would like an option to filter it, which depends on what modules could be added to the forum to handle per user settings.

+1 for a such resolution.
But it isn't an option in case of RSS (witch I use on daily basis), because I guess they aren't customizable per user.
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

User avatar
npomarede
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: France

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby npomarede » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Cyprian wrote:
npomarede wrote:but here also maybe some people would like an option to filter it, which depends on what modules could be added to the forum to handle per user settings.

+1 for a such resolution.
But it isn't an option in case of RSS (witch I use on daily basis), because I guess they aren't customizable per user.

Yes, I guess it might not filter the RSS feed. But maybe RSS readers have such options to blacklist some messages depending on some text matching ? For example filter out some RSS message if the 1st part (which is the topic name) matches "Mist" or 'Mister" or "*FPGA*".
Given that RSS readers often agregate lots of sources, I would not be surprised if such options already existed.

Nicolas

User avatar
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 12249
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: Far East
Contact:

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby wongck » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:13 pm

npomarede wrote:At least, the "non atari thread" is clearly advertised as such in its name :)


Unfortunately to me, the one with the kids destroying the Amiga is very very Atari related.... anything that trashes an Amiga is. :wink:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

User avatar
Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: The FPGA and non-Atari cores deserve the cover of this forum?

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:33 am

npomarede wrote:Yes, I guess it might not filter the RSS feed. But maybe RSS readers have such options to blacklist some messages depending on some text matching ? For example filter out some RSS message if the 1st part (which is the topic name) matches "Mist" or 'Mister" or "*FPGA*".
Given that RSS readers often agregate lots of sources, I would not be surprised if such options already existed.


I don't know which RSS reader Cyprian is using (and I'm not anymore using RSS myself), but e.g. in the Akregator RSS-reader one can set message filters in the ad-blocker section of the program.


Social Media

     

Return to “News & Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests