Magic mac open sourced

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Magic mac open sourced

Postby ThorstenOtto » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:03 am

ThorstenOtto wrote:The one from the 68020 directory crashes with a bus-error when i run it on SingleTOS, and does nothing when i start it from Aranym+XaAES.

Ok the crash was simple, it was just the resource not found (bad idea however to put the resource files in a subdirectory and don't load it from there, and name the directory the same as the resource file, thus preventing to copy them to the application directory).

The other problem remains though, it just does not do anything. If it only runs with MyAES, then it should better tell so.
As for the format: AtariX requires *10* tables, the last one being a dead key table (unlike the others it is of varying length). If you don't want to change charview to support that, you should just append 2 zero bytes to the keyboard file, otherwise AtariX willl refuse to load it because it is too short.

PS.: the resource definitions files of charview seem to be corrupted, i wasn't able to load the *.rsm files, and the *.hrd files can't be used because some names are longer than the 16 characters supported by that format.

PPS.: for further discussion about that, just drop me a mail, i think that is a bit offtopic here.

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:42 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:
OL wrote:MyAES use same format as Magic (I copy it!), you can generate keyboard with charview create by Roland Sevin,

Mint already has the ability to load keyboard tables, i don't quite understand why the AES has to do the same again???

A brief check reveals that the tables are not compatible to MiNT. Even worse, the Bioskeys() function behaves differently (Mint expects 7 tables + a deadkey table, MagiC expects 9 of them, and the alternate tables are different). The format used by MagiC is easier, but the one Mint uses was already implemented partly in TOS 4.04, so this is quite bad.

Let me know if it not work I could look at source code

The 68000 directory seems to be missing the charview.app. The one from the 68020 directory crashes with a bus-error when i run it on SingleTOS, and does nothing when i start it from Aranym+XaAES.

Yes AES should not, but under Aranym I was never be able to have correct table map under Mint and Magic keymap is more complete.

Charview is supposed to work under Magic, I have here a debug version working under Aranym - Mint - MyAES, I just test it and replace version (http://myaes.lutece.net/telechargement/charview.zip), under XaAES, NAES, Multitos for reason I not understand it not crash but window not appear (looks like something in eazylib I not write this software just do small changes)

You can put myaes folder in gemsys and just run under XaAES myaes with the desktop charview software not complain about it, nothing more to install perhaps only change path for desktop and not sure I think small desktop I have made should start even it is fully buggy software!

Olivier
OL

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:34 pm

OL wrote:but under Aranym I was never be able to have correct table map under Mint and Magic keymap is more complete.

I only found a french table there. But if you think that it is more complete, you should maybe convert that to MiNT's format, and add that to the freemint repo. Installing keyboard tables from the AES is imho the wrong way, they are part of the BIOS. Not to mention that you might drop into a shell instead of starting the AES, and then you would have the wrong (us) table.
As far as i could see, the keyboard tables supplied with mint are mostly identical to the ones built into TOS 4.04.

Charview is supposed to work under Magic

Yes, no problem when it needs functionality only supplied there. But then it should give a message instead of crashing or hanging. Can't be that difficult.
BTW. there is also a GEM app for editing MiNT's keyboard tables (done by joska), maybe we can convince him to add support for magic tables, too.

under XaAES, NAES, Multitos for reason I not understand it not crash but window not appear

Same here, no crash but nothing happens, and since it does not install a menubar you have to kill it. Also happens when run under AtariX btw.

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”