ASLR - Atari Software Library Repositorium

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

ASLR - Atari Software Library Repositorium

Postby nagual » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:57 pm

I just want inform all fellow members of Atari forum, and the others, that I'm in a process of making ASLR - Atari Software Library Repositorium.

ASLR will be available as database apps for Phoenix,Twist and PapyrusBase, and as HYP and HTML file.

This will be really very comprehensive list with all relevant details about program, status, author and publisher, hash values, supported emulators, screenshots etc..

ASLR does NOT cover any game and/or menu disk.

So, stay tuned :-)

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: ASLR - Atari Software Library Repositorium

Postby calimero » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:13 pm

something like http://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ? ;)

data, data... how many possible form they can get?
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Yes, something like that, but offline...

I'm afraid I don't understand that... :D

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:44 pm

Well, yeah, so another site with downloads. I think what all these (well intended) projects have in common is the total dependency on the author. Unless you make it automated to add new stuff and fixes, it will either cost you insane amount of time or just left the project with a few dozens apps and that's it. And then somebody else comes along and start his project...

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:56 pm

nagual wrote:Yes, something like that, but offline...

I'm afraid I don't understand that... :D

Let me try to explain :)

there is ONE data (true), and I will say it in plain english:

Code: Select all

Calamus is program for Atari ST computer.
It is programed by DMC.
Published in 1989.

and yet, in computer world we manage to represent this simple data in so many different ways (ASCII, dBase, MySQL, MsSQL, Excel, Papyrus, PDF...) that situation is really TERRIBLE! This is my personal felling, not necessary connected only to Atari related stuff, but in general. and I do not see any solutions... :( but I am really found to see what you did make :)
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:00 pm

nagual wrote:I just want inform all fellow members of Atari forum, and the others, that I'm in a process of making ASLR - Atari Software Library Repositorium.

ASLR will be available as database apps for Phoenix,Twist and PapyrusBase, and as HYP and HTML file.

This will be really very comprehensive list with all relevant details about program, status, author and publisher, hash values, supported emulators, screenshots etc..

ASLR does NOT cover any game and/or menu disk.

So, stay tuned :-)

Sounds interesting to me. :wink:

Keep us informed of your progress! :cheers:

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:04 pm

mikro wrote:Well, yeah, so another site with downloads. I think what all these (well intended) projects have in common is the total dependency on the author. Unless you make it automated to add new stuff and fixes, it will either cost you insane amount of time or just left the project with a few dozens apps and that's it. And then somebody else comes along and start his project...

yes, I try to solve this problem by:
1) giving anyone rights to edit/add data even without registration
2) overview of changes through time (to spot eventual vandalism)
3) mechanism for version control (and restoring data)
4) I keep data in ASCII key:value format so anyone can grab it

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:07 pm

mikro wrote:Well, yeah, so another site with downloads. I think what all these (well intended) projects have in common is the total dependency on the author. Unless you make it automated to add new stuff and fixes, it will either cost you insane amount of time or just left the project with a few dozens apps and that's it. And then somebody else comes along and start his project...

Nope.
As I said, this will be offline:-)

And I'm doing that because I just can't remember all the programs, names and program types anymore.
As real collector, I have now so many different programs, docs, books and I need some system to categorized all that stuff.

So, if can help me, probably will be helping to other Atarian with similar problem:-)

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:17 pm

@calimero

This project is nothing more than one big (enormous) database.
I spend half of my life creating, maintaining and develop such a big databases, so, from my point of view it's a just another database to handle.
Of course, I have my own programs to collect some important data like MD5, SHA1, size, type, author, year, date etc..as ordinary text file...
After that, it's easy...

The BIGGEST job is making logical selector - how make a good index of programs, and I'm just doing that and, unfortunately , it's a really time consuming process.

But, we can make a future conversation on our common language:-)

Cheers!

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:37 pm

Just to explain a little bit more:

Once you have a pure text file with all data, no matter is this a CSV, TAB or any other delimited text, all you need is import data to database of your choice.
I made a small test - made a CSV file with about 10.000 lines, every line has 8 fields (1 record).
Twist, Phoenix and Papyrus base don't have any problem at all handling relative big file.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Nice project, keeps you busy but as long as you love doing it, it not a chore.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:01 pm

It is nice that your database could be used in Atari programs!
Maybe I will make some script to convert data from your database to my web site :)

regarding "The BIGGEST job is making logical selector" - I like AmiNet.net approach (two level for categories). I also found UTI (Uniform Type Identifier) quite logical and interesting - maybe this principle could be applied to "our" databases.

btw
yesterday I tested new Papyrus Author v.8 with 3.000.000 records and dozen of columns on i5 2.5GHz and search work in real-time :)
I found Papyrus user interface for database one of the most easiest and fastest to use. My first version of database for Atari software was indeed in Papyrus but when I made website of it, I could no longer use Papyrus if I want to enable visitors of site to edit and add content. (real-deal would be to make Papyrus-like interface for web browser :))

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:13 pm

wongck wrote:Nice project, keeps you busy but as long as you love doing it, it not a chore.

Agree:-)
I thinking about this project so long, and now I finally decided to make this:-)

Cheers! :cheers:

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:23 pm

calimero wrote:It is nice that your database could be used in Atari programs!
Maybe I will make some script to convert data from your database to my web site :)

It must be:-)
My data is plain ASCII CSV file, with ";" as dekmiter - so standard CSV file.
And I only need to make forms in databases and import CSV file to database...

regarding "The BIGGEST job is making logical selector" - I like AmiNet.net approach (two level for categories). I also found UTI (Uniform Type Identifier) quite logical and interesting - maybe this principle could be applied to "our" databases.

btw
yesterday I tested new Papyrus Author v.8 with 3.000.000 records and dozen of columns on i5 2.5GHz and search work in real-time :)
I found Papyrus user interface for database one of the most easiest and fastest to use. My first version of database for Atari software was indeed in Papyrus but when I made website of it, I could no longer use Papyrus if I want to enable visitors of site to edit and add content. (real-deal would be to make Papyrus-like interface for web browser :))

I heard a lot about Papyrus Author, but I didn't have idea that he have a database:-)
Is it similar to PapyrusBase ?

Somehow, I prefer Twist, I was working with some nasty databases and I was shocked - Twist was handled all stuff (searching over 4+ parameters, complex searching through the group of external parameters) so easy...beautiful:-)

And Twist have query maker, you can define your own query, and he made a complete form and works like a charm - really nice:-)

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:46 am

Papyrus Author is same as old Papyrus from ST but they add many new features that are mostly important for writers and thus they change name to "Papyrus Author" (but it is same program).

Very nice new feature is e.g. "timeline" that is connected with database so you can visually represent some data from database.

I also use Twist back in 90s but today I use Papyrus for almost everything (as replacement for file system because it can hold custom metadata about files! E.g. if I download youtube video and save it to my computer, I made new entry in my Papyrus database with link to video file on my computer, with "title" retype from youtube, original youtube url, "date of upload" from youtube, "user" that uploaded video... than I can connect "user" from youtube to real person... at the end, you have powerful knowledge database: "who, when, what...").

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”