Ataribox

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

1st1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Ataribox

Postby 1st1 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:45 pm

Their problem was that they gave the developemt of the hardware to a company which has not much experience and staff to do that. They should have asked to Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Foxconn, Pegaus and so. That's their daily business. You give then the specs you want, you gurantee them that you take a hundred of thousands of these borads and they'll do. From my own experience, I used to work for such a boardmaker for allmost 10 years, more than 15 years ago , I know that they are doing such a design within 2 monthes until first (mostly) working prototype. They have to do that that fast, because, otherwise the chipset and processor which is the base for the mainboard is already phased out for new model with better spec, better performance, more features, etc. That company arround Rob Wyatt was ways too slow for that job. I think the complete thing just fails.
Power without the Price. It's not a bug. It's a feature. _/|\_ATARI

1040STFM in PC-Tower (PAK68/2, OvrScn, 4 MB, 1GB SCSI, CD-ROM...) * 2x Falcon 030 32GB/14MB+ScrnBlstrIII * 2x TT030 73GB/20MB+Nova * 520/1040STFM * 520/1040STE * 260/520ST/+ * some Mega ST * 2x Mega STE 500MB/4MB+M.CoCo * Stacy * STBook * SLM605 * SLM804 * SLM605 * SMM804 * SH 204/205 * Megafile 30/44/60 * SF314 * SF354 * 5x Pofo * PC3

mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Ataribox

Postby mlynn1974 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:46 pm

I think that Atari Interactive, or whoever approved the use of the Atari name in this product, should have a hard think about what products they license, how they want Atari to be remembered and even how to make marketable products that will appeal to the new generation today.

Nostalgic people will probably buy products like Flashback, but it won't be a massive market. If old games were given a new make-over for today that might work better. This could be a double edged sword as games like Tempest on Steam had mixed reviews.

Atari Interactive have licensed\approved\given their name to products such as:
1. Atari Anthology (PS2),
2. Atari Flashback 1-9.
3. A few modern games published with the brand name Atari.

The Flashback is not a bad little thing. It has been improved gradually over time by AtGames.
I got a Atari Flashback 8 Gold (HDMI, 2 wireless joysticks) for £27.99 from Argos in the clearance!

There has never been a mention of an official licensed product or sponsored emulator for the Atari 8-bit computers, ST, Falcon or Jaguar.
There is no sign of Pole Position being on any version of the Atari Flashback, probably due to some archaic licensing from Namco.

I personally wouldn't spend over £100 on another device to play Atari VCS games. I have a laptop and can play everything I want on emulators, although it is nice to have some dedicated and original hardware for that nostalgic feeling.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”