- Best Electronics Does Not Sell Atari Parts? -

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

- Best Electronics Does Not Sell Atari Parts? -

Postby warp12 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Have been trying to order from them....65xe, xf551, megaste....they seem to be too busy to fulfill orders. Today I asked about ordering some xf551 drives for delivery in March...and Bradley said nope, declining my order.

Is this normal??
Shane

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: - Best Electronics Does Not Sell Atari Parts? -

Postby exxos » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:58 pm

From what I have heard he is some weeks behind on orders.

Same old "problem" though which comes up every now and then. Hes flooded with orders, can't keep up, got piles of Atari stuff he hasn't even looked at yet, and he won't employ anyone to help out.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

Idek Tramielski
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Idek Tramielski » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:11 pm

I was in San Jose last week and had the pleasure of talking to Bradley. He mentioned that he is several weeks behind on orders.

Wayne123
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Wayne123 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:47 pm

I imagine these guys that still sell old equipment don't want the hassle of dealing with adding employees, I am waiting on a computer from the MyAtari site and he is backlogged also, I wanted a TT but he stopped taking orders because he is so far behind. I am just glad all these old Atari parts and computers were saved and didn't end up in a garbage dump somewhere.

While I am waiting I ordered an old NeXT computer to play with.

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:02 pm

IIRC he didn't trust anyone to work with him. Though the guy can't be a young chap anymore. hes got a wharehouse full of stuff he's not even looked at yet. I'm not trying to be morbid here, but if that guy has a heart attack, what happens to all the stuff ? landfill ?!
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

Wayne123
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Wayne123 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Lets just hope they are healthy and will be around a long time.

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:50 pm

I have a mint TT that I got from B&C. It took a long time, but was worth it. The crazy thing is, I'd have no problem to fly out and buy $5k of stuff from these guys....
Shane

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:13 pm

I guess I look at it a bit differently. For us, Atari is a hobby. For Brad (Best) and B&C, it is a business. It is easy for us to want additional staffing to be able to process orders quickly. However, even with the backlog, I would not be surprised if neither company has enough business to justify other employees.

I have heard comments about how peculiar Brad can be. I guess I have been fortunate that I have received products quickly from him. It could simply be there is a short-term Atari collectors wave. The two of them basically have a retail monopoly on Atari hardware. If you do not want to buy on eBay, and I do not, you have to buy from one of them.

Living in the US, purchasing from Europe is not really cost effective.

Bob C

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:48 pm

I stopped buying from B&C years ago, got tired of getting gouged. I prefer ebay these days.

Wayne123
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Wayne123 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:27 pm

lp wrote:I stopped buying from B&C years ago, got tired of getting gouged. I prefer ebay these days.

I think his TT030 price is very reasonable, unfortunately he is over 6 months behind on the orders he has for them so he is not taking new orders. With Ebay you never know what you are going to get, the Falcon prices people I have seen lately on Ebay are way more than I would spend on any Atari.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:24 pm

I do ok on ebay as I only buy from sellers with good high-res photos, and I only bid what's it worth to me, if I lose I just do without. Emulation will suffice.

calimero
Atari God
Atari God

Postby calimero » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:46 pm

From where Brad (Best) and B&C get all this stuff?

Is it a stockpile from old days (90s) or they found some new, untaped, stock recently?
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:54 pm

Best bought out Atari's warehouses back in the 1990s. They also do some original hardware development to improve on some Atari designs. I have their redesigned CX40 joystick (original joystick, new PCB) and the redesigned paddles (new pots). They also had their own stock from being an Atari reseller.

I think B&C also bought out some people to get their stock.

Bob C

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:46 pm

darwinmac wrote:For Brad (Best) and B&C, it is a business. It is easy for us to want additional staffing to be able to process orders quickly. However, even with the backlog, I would not be surprised if neither company has enough business to justify other employees.

Yeah, having so many orders and keen customers that you can't keep up with testing&packing&shipping is a nightmare of every businessman.

I mean, seriously? Imagine he hires a guy to create a decent CMS (maybe even take an existing one and customise) where he or any part time working teen can add pictures and description and in the same time customers can order stuff from an eshop. His revenues would have skyrocketed.

Btw, I had a similar experience with him. Wanted to order stuff for $700, he turned me down.

Wayne123
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Wayne123 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:23 pm

calimero wrote:From where Brad (Best) and B&C get all this stuff?

Is it a stockpile from old days (90s) or they found some new, untaped, stock recently?

The B&C guy told me that he bought stuff from Atari when they closed, he told me he took the TT030s right off of the employees desks. Sorry I don't remember his name but he also told me he has lots of rare stuff also.

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:44 am

mikro wrote:
darwinmac wrote:For Brad (Best) and B&C, it is a business. It is easy for us to want additional staffing to be able to process orders quickly. However, even with the backlog, I would not be surprised if neither company has enough business to justify other employees.

Yeah, having so many orders and keen customers that you can't keep up with testing&packing&shipping is a nightmare of every businessman.

I mean, seriously? Imagine he hires a guy to create a decent CMS (maybe even take an existing one and customise) where he or any part time working teen can add pictures and description and in the same time customers can order stuff from an eshop. His revenues would have skyrocketed.

Btw, I had a similar experience with him. Wanted to order stuff for $700, he turned me down.

Unfortunately, it does not appear to be that obvious for either of them to bring their websites into the modern era. Both websites are stuck in the 1990s. At least, B&C uses an eBay store as another way to sell their stuff. I can only assume neither of them want to go through the work to put their catalog into a CMS. B&C uses an ancient PC running XP which has their price list and I have no idea what Best Electronics uses. I understand the frustration. I am also used to a modern shopping experience with quick shipping times, shipment tracking, and all of the rest. Since the two of them appear to have most of the Atari stock that is left, I have learned to deal with their quirks if they have something I really want.

For whatever reason, Brad (Best) has a problem with eBay. The front page of his website has links to people who overbid for items on eBay. I have also heard about other people who tried to buy large amounts from him and were refused. I can only assume he sees them as resellers. I do not attempt to understand him. I just never had a problem ordering from him. My orders were around $100-$150. At this point, he does not have anything else I need. I expect the joysticks to last longer than I will. :) I already decided against buying ST hardware years ago. For me, Hatari makes more sense rather than dealing with finding an RGB monitor. I only have an Atari 8-bit (XEGS) because someone gave it to me for free.

The Atari market has become a collectors market. I just like playing the ST games I enjoyed back when I was in college. I have enjoyed playing the 8-bit games for the first time. That is more than enough for me.

Bob C

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:13 am

I bought some stuff from Bradley around the beginning of December and the stuff arrived in 3 days as it always does.
However I suspect he has easy access to some stuff (common stuff) and he can get it out the door fast.
Other stuff, such as a TT keyboard, I gave up trying to get. I emailed every couple of weeks for s few months but the answer was always that his "tech" (him) was too busy with orders to get the chance to refurb one.
It's frustrating, and I wish he'd just list the stuff you can actually buy on a modern site with a cart, he'd save himself a lot of time on email quotes then, but the stuff I've received has been top condition, well packed, quickly shipped and not too badly pric d given what some clowns on eBay ask.

As for myatari, I got my TT monitor from him last year and had a nice long chat with him on the phone about a month before where he did let me know it would be a few weeks before he could ship it out as he had s few things going on in his personal life at the time. But he remembered the promis and dug the monitor out of the back of storage, soak tested it (it was new sealed stock) and sent it on. No hesitation to deal with him again.

In both cases, I need to learn patience. :)
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, Newton, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation and more!

Wayne123
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Wayne123 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:33 am

I don't mind outdated websites, at least they are trying to make their stuff available to us. I called B&C about 5 weeks ago and he told me he was swamped with 8 bit orders from Christmas season, he also told me he only listed 8 bit stuff on ebay and not any of the ST stuff. I don't want to get into some of the other stuff he told me but I got the feeling he was a good guy trying to do what can, he told me he didn't yet have a good setup for testing everything, hopefully he will catch up.

I am retired and I decided I wanted to collect all the old computers I always wanted when I was younger, I wanted a TT030 ever since I saw one many years ago, the Atari dealer I used to go to did a great demo with one of the CGI guys from one of the Terminator movies, I believe they used a Silcon Graphics computers for the movie but he said was impressed with the TT.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:16 am

Wayne123 wrote:I don't mind outdated websites, at least they are trying to make their stuff available to us. I called B&C about 5 weeks ago and he told me he was swamped with 8 bit orders from Christmas season, he also told me he only listed 8 bit stuff on ebay and not any of the ST stuff. I don't want to get into some of the other stuff he told me but I got the feeling he was a good guy trying to do what can, he told me he didn't yet have a good setup for testing everything, hopefully he will catch up.

I am retired and I decided I wanted to collect all the old computers I always wanted when I was younger, I wanted a TT030 ever since I saw one many years ago, the Atari dealer I used to go to did a great demo with one of the CGI guys from one of the Terminator movies, I believe they used a Silcon Graphics computers for the movie but he said was impressed with the TT.

B&C has way more than just atari 8-bit stuff on ebay. They have been unloading just about everything on ebay for quite some time. Whoever you talked to was not exactly accurate.

From their ebay store:

Code: Select all

Atari 2600 VCS (18)
    Atari Lynx (113)
    Atari Jaguar (81)
    Atari 8-Bit 800/400/XL/XE (188)
    Atari 7800 Game System (21)
    Atari ST/TT/Falcon 16/32 bit (100)
    Atari Portfolio (9)
    Atari Collectables (23)
    Atari Joysticks, Mice, ETC (6)
    Media (13)
    Atari 5200 (3)
    Books (1)
    Other (12)

Wayne123
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Wayne123 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:04 am

lp wrote:
Wayne123 wrote:I don't mind outdated websites, at least they are trying to make their stuff available to us. I called B&C about 5 weeks ago and he told me he was swamped with 8 bit orders from Christmas season, he also told me he only listed 8 bit stuff on ebay and not any of the ST stuff. I don't want to get into some of the other stuff he told me but I got the feeling he was a good guy trying to do what can, he told me he didn't yet have a good setup for testing everything, hopefully he will catch up.

B&C has way more than just atari 8-bit stuff on ebay. They have been unloading just about everything on ebay for quite some time. Whoever you talked to was not exactly accurate.

From their ebay store:

Code: Select all

Atari 2600 VCS (18)
    Atari Lynx (113)
    Atari Jaguar (81)
    Atari 8-Bit 800/400/XL/XE (188)
    Atari 7800 Game System (21)
    Atari ST/TT/Falcon 16/32 bit (100)
    Atari Portfolio (9)
    Atari Collectables (23)
    Atari Joysticks, Mice, ETC (6)
    Media (13)
    Atari 5200 (3)
    Books (1)
    Other (12)

I should have been more specific, I meant that he told me he was not selling ST, TT or Falcon computers on ebay, he told me he was only selling 8 bit computers on ebay. Has he sold ST computers on ebay in the past? I don't know but he does not have any listed now and I just looked through all 565 items. I know he told me his priorities were 8 bit computers now and that was all he was set up for when I called him. I am hoping when he gets caught up he will let me buy a TT030.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:21 am

I see. Well judging by the amount of stuff they have on ebay, that's probably what occupies their time.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:16 am

Weird, I ordered a bunch of stuff from Best not long ago (though it was mostly Atari 8-bit things, I also ordered the plastic hook for the JagCD since mine had broken many years ago.) and it was much quicker than I expected, like it shipped Saturday and I got it Tuesday, and I had ordered it Friday.

I do find it funny that he always mentions he has a tech.

I'm glad that I managed to get a refurbished TT030 keyboard then! Unfortunately due to some terrible circumstances, the one I had previously was thrown out (along with my SC1224 and some other things). I remember many years ago, I bought an 850 from B&C with the intention of geeking out with a modem on my 800xl, and had a nice long conversation with him.

I still haven't even gotten that set up sadly, but I do still have it.

calimero
Atari God
Atari God

Postby calimero » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:46 am

Wayne123 wrote:

The B&C guy told me that he bought stuff from Atari when they closed, he told me he took the TT030s right off of the employees desks. Sorry I don't remember his name but he also told me he has lots of rare stuff also.

Wow! Than there must be bunch of history on those hard drives!
It would be real waste not to backup everything from these machines!
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Mindthreat
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mindthreat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:10 pm

calimero wrote:
Wayne123 wrote:

Wow! Than there must be bunch of history on those hard drives!
It would be real waste not to backup everything from these machines!

At one point, I almost offered to head out there to go through his stuff for him to kind of do inventory with the flipside being that I could gain access to go through all his hard drives and other misc. stuff to make backups and pull data in hopes to find some cool unreleased goodies for the Jaguar. Not that he would even agree to that or possibly even need it, I just can't imagine him having or even taking the time to go through everything as thoroughly as I try to. The discs for some of the things he released has so much stuff on it, most people didn't even realize it contained several betas of Jaguar games if you didn't know what you were looking at or for - just tons of hidden goodies nested away in a dozen sub directories.

With that said, just the few things Curt and B&C have released for the Jag, I've spent far more hours pouring over that stuff than I should probably admit. Still a lot that you can't do much without having access to a development system even.
"To create the future, you must first embrace the past." - http://cerka.weebly.com

calimero
Atari God
Atari God

Postby calimero » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:28 pm

Mindthreat wrote:At one point, I almost offered to head out there to go through his stuff for him to kind of do inventory with the flipside being that I could gain access to go through all his hard drives and other misc. stuff to make backups and pull data in hopes to find some cool unreleased goodies for the Jaguar. Not that he would even agree to that or possibly even need it, I just can't imagine him having or even taking the time to go through everything as thoroughly as I try to. The discs for some of the things he released has so much stuff on it, most people didn't even realize it contained several betas of Jaguar games if you didn't know what you were looking at or for - just tons of hidden goodies nested away in a dozen sub directories.

With that said, just the few things Curt and B&C have released for the Jag, I've spent far more hours pouring over that stuff than I should probably admit. Still a lot that you can't do much without having access to a development system even.

So Curt and B&C are friends? Since B&C allow Curt access to his warehouse...?
btw does anyone know what is with Curt Vendel? I read that he has some issues with health. I can only say that he lost quite weight on some newer videos on youtube...

it is not mine to give advice but far easiest way would be to dump TTs SCSI harddrives byte by byte (DD) to modern computer before he sell it to someone.

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”