exxos's webshop forcefully shutdown :(

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

exxos's webshop forcefully shutdown :(

Postby exxos » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:49 pm

Yes its true I am sad to say :( Paypal have shut down my account which means I have had to close my webstore :( I have been fighting this with paypal for the past few days and they just refuse to accept my "case".

I have had my paypal account since 2002 and sold many items on ebay over the years, even used paypal to accept payments for my audio store when it was in action, recently just Atari based items. In all my years I have never had any issues with paypal themselves until this week.

I got home Sunday night to find a email from paypal say my account had been shut down due to breach of paypals terms. After much investigation I am under the impression paypal *think* I am selling stuff like playstation "mods" which allow copy protection to be circumvented and bypassed to allow people to play pirate/copied games. I have emailed them, called them, emailed again, many times, and they just refuse to accept that I am selling Atari computer upgrades. Its like trying to explain time travel to a snail!

As to "how" all this came about I have no idea. The logical conclusion is someone has reported me for selling such "mods" on purpose to get my account shut down. As to why anyone would basically hate me so much to do that is beyond me. Considering all I do is design and support the community, someone would seriously have to hate the whole Atari community as it affects those people far more than it affects myself.

I am working to move my store over to worldpay, but my concern is ,whats to stop this from happening again on worldpay ? I have emailed them and explained this "issue" to see if they actually "Talk" to the "customer" before shutting down their account without any hope of sorting it out. So far they have not returned my email.

Its going to take some time to get my store running again, it could likely turn into weeks or months. Though with events of this past week, I'm not really feeling motivated or interested in starting to setup a new store right now.

I'm sorry to those people who are still wanting to order stuff, and been waiting patiently for me to start producing new items, though its all going to have to wait while I sort out this huge mess :(
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

bandit
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: exxos's webshop forcefully shutdown :(

Postby bandit » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:10 pm

cluck paypal! Just accept normal iban/swift money.. i know its more work but i guess everyone in the atari scene is happy to accept this AND you will even safe paypals commissions:)
Keep up the great work!!!

umberto1st
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby umberto1st » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:46 pm

Man you cant give up. You are one of the few out there that has a online store and producing new and interesting upgrades. I have purchased a lot from you and love all the upgrades, with very few problems. The way to answer jealous people is with success. You are appreciated in this community. I recently messed up a 4 meg upgrade i got from you and you answered back in less than 12 hours.
800, 2) 600XL, 2) 800XL, 1) 1200XL, 2) 130XE, 1) XEGS, 2) 1050,2) 810, 1) 850, 2) 1040 STFM's, 1) 4160 STE, 1) MEGA ST2,1)Mega ST4,1)Mega STE, 1) FALCON CT63+CTPCI+Radeon, 1)FALCON STOCK 14 MEG CF IDE, NEMESIS NOT INSTALLED, 1) 2600, 2)5200, 1) 7800. 5)JAGUAR's, 3) JAGUAR CD UNITS, CATBOX, SKUNKBOARD ECT. Lynx II, Lynx I..

dhedberg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dhedberg » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:52 pm

I hope you'll find the motivation and inspiration to continue your great work! It'd certainly be a huge loss for all of us, would you decide to quit!
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:54 pm

Keep it going Chris, your work is awesome and I can't see many people having issues with paying by bank transfer or whatever instead.

Kubik

Postby Kubik » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:18 pm

Well, PayPal is a bunch of morons... I needed to refund my payment recently - twice, in fact. In the first case, the receiver instantly refunded my money as the item I wanted to purchase wasn't on sale yet (new speccy rubber mats!). It took 11 days for PayPal to return the money to my account, and I had to open a dispute. In second case, I've purchased something from stolen eBay account. eBay has cancelled my purchase, and I was able to cancel the payment in PayPal too - but again, I was waiting for more than a week to get my money back, and I had to open a dispute again. It looks to me like refund only happens after opening a dispute.
Anyway, rant mode off. I am fine to use IBAN/SWIFT. It takes ages, and costs something, but it works. Even sending banknotes in envelope would work for me, just all my pounds are of an older serie that are no longer in circulation :)

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:49 pm

Chris : That's completely stupid, i'm sure you've been closed by people at paypal who just don't have a clue of your activities....

Read here : incompetent assholes.

I guess using IBAN is now the way to go. If they cannot be professional, listening to you about what you're doing, then feck'em off !
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:09 pm

Wow, Chris, that is terrible.

I heard terrible Paypal stories lately. Please don't let that let you down.

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:31 pm

What?!

You say you've been fighting with Paypal, have they pointed to any item or transaction?
Seems a bit off if not.

As for who reported it, I'd say it has to be someone you've argued with on threads here or any other forum recently, say over the last 30 days.

Should be easy for you (or any of us via your post history) to figure out.
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/16MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, Newton, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation and more!

rpineau
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rpineau » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:32 pm

WAT !!! This is insane !! . Unfortunately this seems to be a repeating story as I've seen other people landing in the same situation (different industry but also about home made electronics for a hobby .. astronomy in my case).
Paypal is very bad a dealing with small vendors like Chris and, as some have said, is run by a bunch of a$$h0l35 and incompetent monkeys.

I hope you find a solution Chris.
Regards, Rodolphe
Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator
MegaSTE 4MB + CosmosEx / 1040 STF for hardware dev
http://www.rti-zone.org/atari.php

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:50 pm

this is bad news. sorry chris this happened to you! here you are helping us the community out, and some idiot that's very unhappy and uneducated trying to screw it up for all of us!! good luck buddy, if you need anything please don't hesitate!!
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:07 pm

That absolutely, well and truly sucks! Sorry to hear this, but hang on in there, as a much valued member of the Atari fraternity.
That's so amateur from PayPal, we should all ask ourselves the question 'why trust an amateur outfit to handle our hard earned cash'.
Would we trust an amateur bank, of course not! I am sure this is deserved of young persons hashtag posting, possibly #PayPalSucks
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF & Steinberg FDI
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, Soundpool M04, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:13 pm

PayPal isn't the problem, the anger should go to the wan@@@ who maliciously lied to them.
Bet they keep quiet too.
Coward.
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/16MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Zogging Hell » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:15 pm

Bummer! What a bunch of plonks Paypal are. Sorry to hear that, please persevere! If this was deliberate it is very poor, there are some very sad people out there.
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

jmadmobile
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jmadmobile » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:17 pm

It seems these days the only way to deal with big corporations is to shame them in public media. If anyone has any connections to folks in tech media, like Engadget or TechCrunch type sites to carry a story like this, you might get some traction. Dealing with them on their Twitter account perhaps will get the right person to pay attention and involve the correct person in the backend.

Big companies with outsourced support ... with support staff that possibly do not speak English as their primary language = waste of time and frustration. I cannot think of one large tech era birthed company that does not have this type of problem with poor or non-existent support. Very sad... the little guy always suffers and is invisible.

Atari/Retro mods matter!

FedePede04
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FedePede04 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:48 pm

I am sorry to hear, and i hope you find a solutions to your problem.
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:34 pm

Could also be some self proclaimed copyright police do-gooder not liking the sale of roms maybe?

Like this loser back in the day:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:45 pm

A coworker who sells 3D Printer items and parts went through this with Paypal a couple of months ago. Took over 2 weeks to get Paypal to reactivate his account and for him to have access to his money. Needless to say he wasn't happy and worse Paypal never gave him a reason which part of the Terms of Service they claimed he breached.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

repair
Atarian
Atarian

Postby repair » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:02 am

I had finally fixed my 1040 STe and was planning on buying some items this past weekend and noticed your store was gone.
I was pretty disappointed. Its really brutal that p@ypal just closes accounts without any recourse for the seller.
I hope you are able to reopen it in the near future. I always look forward to your posts they are always interesting. Don't let it get you down.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:15 am

Why not create another paypal account and put all the pay buttons behind a password wall, that users have to login to be able to see the paypal buttons and make a payment.
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:10 am

Thanks for everyones kind words and support, it means a lot to me!

In reply to some peoples questions, I got banned on a "DSP ASP32 PSU REPAIR KIT". I suspected DSP was a drug, like LSD, It was, so I thought that was the reason. Basically because the DSP kits only started selling more recently. Though when I bugged paypal, they pointed to my site which was selling "mod kits". It wasn't even my store page but my main index page on my site. Where I had a phrase like "click here to view all my hardware mods". So they assume I'm hacking playstations and that kinda thing. I've tried to explain Atari went out of business 20 years ago, tried to explain DVD encrypted games didn't exist in the 1980s... They just don't care.

My mum had a paypal account, I logged in to see if hers still worked, a hour later, she gets a email saying she is banned also. They think its a "clone" account which I setup. In fact it has her bank account info and credit card info all in her own name. So only assume they flagged my IP address on their "watch list" as we both use the same router at home. So setting up a new paypal account isn't going to work. Not like I would even go with paypal again after all this.

A lot of suggested IBAN, and are happy to use that method. So it might be a backup method for now. I was considering WorldPay but they seem to have bad reviews of them upgrading peoples accounts without their permission and then when they want to leave, they charge $500 cancellation fee. I did email about my "problem" with paypal and how the "operate" but they have not replied. So thats a no-go there.

I am looking for alternative payment sites (emailed a few) see if they actually reply. If they are not going to reply to emails, I just won't deal with them. having good support and someone who knows "their job" is crucial for me. I want "innocent until proven guilty" support, not "your banned goodbye" type of support.

Some have suggested some sites which can do webstores, but they have like £20 fee each month. Its just not practical for me. It would wipe out a lot of what little money I make on each order. Plus last year, and the year before, There was only 1 week in the entire year where stuff sold. So paying a subscription just isn't viable. I am still hunting.. if anyone of these companies reply to a email with actual help, then its a start.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

English Invader
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby English Invader » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:24 am

I remember coming across a similar story on AtariAge where someone was randomly banned for buying a ColecoVision homebrew (no one responded to his e-mails either). If I had to guess PayPal's reasoning it would be something along the lines of homebrew/modded products are unlicensed products i.e. no one paid Coleco Industries like Electronic Arts pay Sony to make games for the PS4.

It's probably best to find an alternative means of payment for items that are less than kosher like flash-carts or hard drive/floppy emulators because although it's only been a few isolated incidents so far it's becoming clear that PayPal no longer want people buying or selling these items on their watch.

FedePede04
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FedePede04 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:41 am

While your looking for a replacement instead of paypal, could you not use bank transfer instead of.
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:05 am

Within Europe SEPA (IBAN) is reasonably quick and fee-less.

Outside of Europe I'd propose an idea I've been mulling over for quite some time. Use Bitcoin. The transfers will go through immediately, and while it's somewhat of a hassle for the buyer to first acquire the bitcoin, we in the retro movement don't do that many spur of the moment purchases and we might be willing to put up with that? (I'm exaggerating the hassle though, today it's quite easy). On the receiving side Chris could either choose to stay in Bitcoin denomination or partner with a company that would directly convert the bitcoin into GBP and transfer to his regular bank account.

No one can censor Bitcoin.

Kubik

Postby Kubik » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:55 am

troed wrote:Within Europe SEPA (IBAN) is reasonably quick and fee-less.

Correction - within eurozone!
When I transfer money from our German account to my wife's Slovak account (within eurozone), it's done overnight and doesn't cost anything. When I do the same to my Czech account (EU, but no eurozone), it takes three days at least, and I pay certain amount off the Czech account as some sort of incoming fee. The fee differs from bank to bank, from approx. 1 EUR up to 8 EUR. British banks might be different, but still, don't expect to be as easy as eurozone-to-eurozone transfer.

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”