exxos's webshop forcefully shutdown :(

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: exxos's webshop forcefully shutdown :(

Postby BoNuS » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:02 pm

exxos wrote:I can take IBAN payments, though I am just a bit reluctant to plaster my bank account number over the internet :roll:

I do it often and never had troubles with that.
http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
2 x Falcon 030 - a mint Atari TT - Mega STE - 2x STE - 1x Mega 2 - 2x STFM - 1 x STF - 3x SC1224 - 2x SM124 - 1x SM125 2x Portofolio+interface
- 3x 1435 monitor - 1 x Ult.Ripper cardridge - Mega 1,2,and 4 ( just to much Atari stuff)

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:19 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm

UK accounts people can set up direct debits with just name address sort code and account number. I remember Jeremy Clarkson announcing the same and publishing his details and getting a joker setup a direct debit

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:51 pm

alexh wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm

UK accounts people can set up direct debits with just name address sort code and account number. I remember Jeremy Clarkson announcing the same and publishing his details and getting a joker setup a direct debit

Thats kinda my concern also, while I think most are trust worthy of the info, if their email gets hacked, people can get my info that way aswell. Only takes one idiot, and its me who will end up footing the bills and sorting out mess.

<rant>
Years ago I changed my O2 tariff to a cheaper one, next month they billed me full amount.. ok I thought, next month it be ok.. then got charged again.. I emailed O2 and they confirmed I won't get charged the old package price, I did, only that time I only had £5 in my bank account, then I got charged £30 by O2, then I got charged (unknowingly ) by the bank £30 for unauthorised overdraft. So I money in my account to put back in the green (actually had to borrow that money as I was flat broke at the time) but then the bank fined me for the unauthorised overdraft where they themselves put me in the red, where I then got charged another unauthorised overdraft. This mess took months to sort out, I was stuck in a loop where they bank was causing the problems then billing me for the result, all because O2 messed up my account. I ended up £100's out of pocket in the end. Its why I try and avoid banks as much as possible as even a simple issue escalated into months of stress and fines over stuff I have not even done wrong.

Was good when the bank tried to sell me a subscription for cheaper car parts, like spend £200 a year to get 10% discount on my car parts, like if I how much would I have to spent to get my money back on 10% discounts.. madness.. I just said, no I dont want it, women got annoyed and asked why im not interested, I said because last time I had a subscription and it went wrong, you changed me 100's in fines over stuff which wasn't even my fault, so why the hell would I sign up for something else... soon got rid of her though. They never rang me up again trying to sell me stuff.
</rant>

Now it seems I can't buy items on ebay anymore :evil: . I've unlinked my paypal account thinking it will go to paypal checkout and ask for my credit card info.. seems not.. When people did not have paypal accounts you could pay on credit card, so seems that option is gone. So not only am I locked out of my paypal account, but also ebay.

The knockon effect to that is I brought items from small business sellers in the UK, selling surplus etc, so now they don't get my custom anymore and when I drop on a "good deal" I can't buy the bloody stuff now :evil:

Most items I can source from elsewhere, just a shame as I can sometimes drop on deals which helps with overall prices of kits, but if I have to source everything from farnell, costs soon ramp up over simple stuff. I do buy stuff from aliexpress, though thats very hit and miss if stuff turns actually turns up. Always seem to have at least 1 dispute opened constantly. But at least they deal with credit card payments and not paypal.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:18 pm

What a fornicating(EDIT that's a word filter substitute there...) outrage, seriously. Just a joke. I wonder which other punishments for life you should receive for making Atari ST "mod chips"? There's got to be more they can do to shut down this terrible behaviour!
Last edited by Ragstaff on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:27 pm

Ragstaff wrote:What a fornicating outrage, seriously. Just a joke. I wonder which other punishments for life you should receive for making Atari ST "mod chips"? There's got to be more they can do to shut down this terrible behaviour!

Yeah, i'm guilty beyond redemption for supporting a line of 1980's computers....

4 other payment companies so far have looked at my store, legal and risk departments say nothing suspect on my items at all.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:24 pm

Chris, I just think this whole situation sucks vacuum hard.

Why is it an axiom of the universe that the people least qualified
to be in charge are the ones that are always in charge? :roll:
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:36 pm

DarkLord wrote:Chris, I just think this whole situation sucks vacuum hard.

Why is it an axiom of the universe that the people least qualified
to be in charge are the ones that are always in charge? :roll:

I remember "test the nation" quiz years ago.. The "managers" scored the least, and the unemployed people scored the highest. Think you just have to be a dumb crook to get anywhere in this world.

Think I mentioned a lot about this on my interview on atari crypt as well. I couldn't work for a company again, just drives me nuts.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:06 pm

exxos wrote:The "managers" scored the least, and the unemployed people scored the highest. Think you just have to be a dumb crook to get anywhere in this world.

Hmm ;)

/manager at one of the world's largest global companies

MetalCruncher
Atariator
Atariator

Postby MetalCruncher » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:36 am

..."axiom of the universe"
not quite; but in fact it's close to true, and it even has a name like J.Does Law, I can't recall, who J.Doe really was;
but the mechanism of his law is shortly:

A person gets a job. If he does it well for some time, he'll get promoted.
The person is in a better job. If he does it well, he'll get promoted!
Now everyone has a limit; but if he does a good job...(take a guess :D ) he'll get promoted!
The limit is passed, but he has power. He does NOT do a good job. No promotion - he's stuck.
...but if he does a good job for himself, he'll promote a person below his position, who does NOT do a good job! :D :D

If it's a public position, all those promoted NOT doing a good job will be stuck till retirement.
Unless they make a scandal or something illegal (make that serious illegal), in which case they are moved to another
branch but at a similar position.
If it's a private company, all those promoted NOT doing a good job will be stuck, until it cost too much, in which case
they are moved to another branch but at a close to similar position calling it a promotion.

In case of a high to top position there may not be another branch:
The public top-leader will be sent on retirement with benefits. In China he'll be shot.
The private top-leader will be fired with a bonus. If it's a bank, the bonus will be golden, and if the bank is close to
bankruptcy, the taxpayers will pay for the golden bonus plus promotions for all below him! In China he'll just be shot!

The part about banks isn't part of the "law", the economist/philosopher lived some 150 years ago (to my recollection),
that's just been the fact in most Western countries the last decade. However, his books are taught in many
business schools. The students may take a note; but the candidates... who cares as long as you're promoted!!!

I have some personal thoughts:
The position where people do a "not good" (to real bad) job is ironically called "The peak of their career"!
A lot of promotions are often "branching", which, I guess, probably makes matters worse.
In the real world promotions are often not a result of doing a good job but the result of some variation on nepotism,
which makes matters much worse.

Some peoples position are beyond the normal mechanism of promotion.
Politicians fight their way up through their party, when they don't fight, they do nepotism. When finally they are
in position to be elected, they are "promoted" by the voters for their performance in the media. But their job is NOT
performance artists, their job is to govern! A job their superiors/employers, the voters, don't have a realistic chance
to evalutae.
Those who COULD control the quality of politicians work are journalists. But journalist have the same way of career,
when they are in the position to to be evaluated by their real employers, the users (buyers - most also voters) of
their media, they are judged on their performance to write a good story - not their job to inform the public about
the truth! Which the buyers can't evaluate anyway.
Think about that! Well, it's not a a physical law - but "axiom of the universe" is close!

Now when I'm into writing tooo long, why don't I share some "inside information":
When it comes to to private business, the "top-top-leader" is the owner, who may lead the company himself, or hire
a chief executive. However, most larger "private" companies are a "limited company", that is the stockholders own
the company. The CEO may be in the daily charge; but the real leaders AND responsible are the BOARD.
The board is elected by the stockholders, usually once a year, at the "general meeting" (Googles translation, English
is not my native language). Some twenty years ago I attended a "general meeting" in a bank: It was a major bank just
merged to be a major influential bank. The meeting was like this (standard procedure): "Evaluation" of the passed
year, expectations to the future profits, debate, election of a new board.

Evaluation of the past year: Business is running fine. Unfortunately we have (major) red lines (deficit - business is
running wild not fine) due to expenses of the merge! Accompanied by a graph drawn up by the Economics Department,
a nasty decreasing red line falling down beyond the right side of the the bottom edge of the display.

Expectations: The first year further (increasing) deficit, due to the expenses of the merge! BUT in five to ten
years an expected increasing profit, due to the power of the merge! Accompanied by a graph calculated by the
Economics Department for the next year with negative slope continuing into a nice positive exponential curve,
probably drawn by the chairmans five year old daughter!

During the presentation a few questions from worried stockholders are answered. This is however a longer
session, so after 3-4 hours it's time for beer and food - and entertainment, of which the timing is by no
means casual.

Debate - forgotten during entertainment...!

Election: Since the stockholders swallowed the long term expectations of profit, the election, in this case, turned into something from the local Grandmas Knitting Club: Well the board is on election, all are WILLING to continue, the
chairman of the board is... the same... anybody against?..... (silence)... Well the board is reelected, and so is the
chairman, thank you, thank you. And the stockholders, who really should have been looking in their pockets, gave
their applause and went home with hopes of making profits.. in five to ten years.

I wasn't a stockholder and had no right to vote, I was there in another functions, so I didn't give a poo (pardon my
French), and I had no right to speak, so don't blame me; but I had my thoughts...
This now major influential bank was later a major player in the "global financial crisis"!
Now if it wasn't a bank, the company is liquidated, and the investors and customers suffer losses; but the board-
members just lose one of their yearly performances - plenty of other boards to be elected for!
True story!

To "exxos". Your productions looks fine. If you both can get satisfied costumers and make a profit, you are per
definition doing a very good job. However nobody in power will care. I hope you have the nerves and financial
resources to get through the hardships. God luck.
Cubase, (Mega)ST(e)(fm), TT, Falcon, Jaguar, MiST.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:22 am

MetalCruncher wrote:..."axiom of the universe"
not quite; but in fact it's close to true, and it even has a name like J.Does Law, I can't recall, who J.Doe really was;

Peter's principle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

/Troed

nukebloodaxe
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nukebloodaxe » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:06 am

exxos, do you have contact with any of your old teachers? If so, then they can help you out with documentation. Also, you are publicly identified in the following video clip broadcast on TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txlTee8 ... e=youtu.be

I know how much of a pain sorting out documentation can be... I'm actually busy sorting out docs to get a renewed passport so I can change my address at my bank in the UK... yes, you read right.

Mind you, if you go through the pain of getting a passport once, it's amazing how easy everything is after that; especially getting it renewed.

Do you have a doctor who treats you? They can also sort out photos in terms of verifying them.

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:47 am

I've not been to the doctors for years, anyone could walk in and pretend to be me. I have seen my old head of year, but might know a teacher who knows me.. but its the card company , they seem to not understand anything past passport and photo ID. I've given up with them , trying another company now.

As for managers, "exxod's principle" = "rise to success though gift of the gabber"

felicemaggie
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby felicemaggie » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:57 am

I'd like to make a suggestion (assuming your shop gets back on track again with an alternative payment system) that I'd like you to hear, Exxos.

You're probably well aware of Lotharek (based in Poland) who also produces decent items for Atari systems within his online shop and also on Ebay. Might there be something there for you to get together with him and for both of you to start offering each others products within your shop as well as his own ? He, like you, produce excellent products for Atari systems and maybe he might also be able to get you a lower build price from Poland for your items as well. He is, of course, still able to use Ebay and Paypal to sell his items.

Now, I'm fully aware that I haven't purchased anything from your store as yet (and that's nothing against you personally at all) but I have heard and read very good reports about the items you have been building and selling over the last few years or so. Whilst I have bought from Lotharek and have been very pleased with the devices, such as the HxC and the NetUSBee - the both of you produce fantastic products at a decent price so therefore, it may make sense to link up.

I know the HxC and NetUSBee devices are not originally Lotharek's design - from what I am led to believe the circuit designs for both are in the public domain. Though I know Lotharek and Candle'O'Sin (who he develops the devices with) got permission from Stimpy to redesign and sell the NetUSBee devices, as this was fairly well known at the time.

Please give this some thought. I'm sure Lotharek would be pleased for you to get in contact with him.

If you wanted to meet Lotharek in person, why not think about joining some of us from the UK who will be attending the Sillyventure demoparty in Gdansk, Poland in November, from the 10th to the 13th of that month. Flights are relatively cheap with Wizzair and Ryanair even at the moment; hotels in Gdansk are also cheap as well, close to the partyplace. Lotharek will certainly be there. Check out the website at http://www.sillyventure.eu for more details about the event itself. I think you'll enjoy it :)
Atari Falcon x 4 (including a broken one that I need to get fixed), Atari Mega STe (4mb, TOS 2.05), Atari STe (1mb), Atari Mega ST (2mb) with SC1435 color monitor, Atari 4160 STe (4mb, TOS 1.62), Atari STFM (2.5mb), Atari 800xl with Ultimate 1mb upgrade and SIO2SD (a fantastic upgrade, definitely worth it).
Other formats used sometimes as well for necessity's sake :) On PS4 and PS3, username: felicemaggie

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:21 am

Going places is ok if you have a passport ;)

I have thought about selling via other sellers. Lotharek seems to produce designs himself like you say, it wouldn't be viable for me to build them, ship to him to sell, he would likely want to have the design, build himself to sell, and then I get a % of the sale. That could work with some items, but not likely parts and other more general things I sell. On one hand it would save me a huge amount of build time. I'm basically at the limits of what I can produce myself, its a problem as while im building stuff, im not designing new items. So I will have to think about this aswell.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:13 pm

I once had my PayPal account permanently limited for selling a modded PlayStation. I just set up a new one with another email and linked to my old eBay account. Job done.

MetalCruncher
Atariator
Atariator

Postby MetalCruncher » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:40 pm

Lotharek is rather well established. His designs are not just sold by himself but also by a couple of regular shops.
His products are made by factories listed on his site. Not really an option.

Selling via others isn't quite easy. You would be bound to a steady production, so no more vacations or days in bed
with the flu! The percentage usually ends up being zero point something btw.

I make analog designs.Talking about that in a major pro music store, they offered to sell my products as 2nd hand.
Knowing what kind of profit shops expect, and how much customers are willing to pay, it's not likely, that a realistic
price would even pay the price of the components! And I buy my components at production prices. So also not an option!

MetalCruncher
Atariator
Atariator

Postby MetalCruncher » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

troed wrote:
MetalCruncher wrote:..."axiom of the universe"

Peter's principle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

/Troed

Wow Troed, something you knew, or are you "Superman of Googling"?

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:12 pm

MetalCruncher wrote:Wow Troed, something you knew, or are you "Superman of Googling"?

Something I knew ;) I regularly make presentations at big conferences regarding disruptive innovation and how you can effect it within organizations.

/Troed

MetalCruncher
Atariator
Atariator

Postby MetalCruncher » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:20 pm

Ahh ok! I'm not sure, but I think at least the ideas go much longer back, anyway as in the link still 50 years.

I probably won't remember in a week or so, though my first name is actually Peter!! :lol: :lol:

felicemaggie

Postby felicemaggie » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:35 pm

A sensible guy like you, Exxos, * would *, I'd have thought, have a passport by now at least, even if it is just used for European trips to Atari demoparties - you certainly need to experience one of these :) There may well still be time to apply for one if you want ......
Atari Falcon x 4 (including a broken one that I need to get fixed), Atari Mega STe (4mb, TOS 2.05), Atari STe (1mb), Atari Mega ST (2mb) with SC1435 color monitor, Atari 4160 STe (4mb, TOS 1.62), Atari STFM (2.5mb), Atari 800xl with Ultimate 1mb upgrade and SIO2SD (a fantastic upgrade, definitely worth it).
Other formats used sometimes as well for necessity's sake :) On PS4 and PS3, username: felicemaggie

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:21 pm

MetalCruncher wrote:Wow Troed, something you knew, or are you "Superman of Googling"?

It's pretty common knowledge if you have worked in big companies or government organisations. You won't go long without hearing someone complain about a certain manager being "promoted to his level of incompetence", and if you are some young grad or new-comer who says "huh?", about 5 blokes will scramble over each other to explain.
I think I got my first explanation within 3 weeks of starting as an under-grad... I never got the chance to explain it to anyone else, even when mentoring undergrads 10 years later at IBM, I mentioned it once and they rolled their eyes. All the jaded, demoralised senior staff had already taken their chance to share this pearl of wisdom with them.

MetalCruncher
Atariator
Atariator

Postby MetalCruncher » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:34 pm

Practical experience rather than knowledge, and it tend to fade with rising position,
where people en rich and demented! :lol: :lol: :lol:

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:19 pm

Also seems I'm locked out of ebay with my credit card, been trying to checkout as a guest, won't have my card. So paypal must have blocked that aswell. Which likely means my bank account numbers will be blocked along with my mums bank account and credit card. Boy when paypal wan't to get rid of you they sure go all out!

diamondspringwater

Postby diamondspringwater » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:44 pm

Have you looked at merchant inc. They tout themselves as the #1 paypal alternative. It won't help buying from ebay, but it might work for your webshop.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:56 am

exxos wrote:Also seems I'm locked out of ebay with my credit card

Yes I seem to remember when I had my account limited I had to ask for a new debit card for my new PayPal account. I couldn't use the one I had been using previously.

exxos wrote:Which likely means my bank account numbers will be blocked along with my mums bank account and credit card.

I was never a vendor (someone who accepted payments) so I never had a bank account associated with my PayPal account. So I didn't suffer that issue. Sounds probable.

About a year later I successfully protested my account being permanently limited.

They didn't allow me to re-use my old account, so all my transaction history was lost, but it did allow me to reuse my original email address with a new PayPal account

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”