Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Frogger STFM/E BETA Release Vers: 12th Aug

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:10 pm

EDITED: 12th Aug - Beta V3
- Fixed IKBD Issue on MegaSTE machines
- Added some new code for joystick/keyboard handling (To fix bug!?)
- Version number in Titles now. Current version is BETA v3 as of this date!
- Minor fixes, prolly not noticeable ;)

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st ... 30693.html - The 12th August Preview available here

EDITED: 11Th Aug - Scroll to last message in thread for newest versions - now with SFX :P

EDITED: 02-Aug-2016

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
F R O G G E R (BETA Release)
Atari ST

CODE and GRAPHICS: Scott Clifford
MUSIC: Mathieu Stempell
ADDITIONAL CODE: Per Almered
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SYS REQS
--------
ATARI STFM/STE (TOS 1.4/1.62 PAL)
1Mb of Memory or more
Colour Television/Monitor
Hard Disk Compatible
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02 August 2016
---------------
Joy/keyboard system re-written
Should be more responsive and have changed the control method to
allow "holding" of the directions to move "frog".

music system re-written
Timing structures for the songs are now more accurate
and a new timer has been placed, sound effects ARE there
but not implemented atm.

snake added
There was an instance AFTER level 2 whereby you were killed
on the middle zone by an invisible snake.. that snake has
now been reintroduced into the game as it should.

I've removed the link to the game because of its nature, its being improved upon and rather than linking every version, ill simply link Atarimania site... see the top of this message for the newest version.

I'm looking at getting bug reports and other such faults atm. Esp on newer than TOS 1.62 machines.

I've included a couple of TXT files with the game, one with instructions and the other with known bugs and
a way to email me with known bug issues I would ask that if people DO report bugs here that they kindly Quote/Tag me so I can be aware of it.

Enjoy this ALMOST complete game.. its leaps ahead of the competition :P
Last edited by EstTeeEfEm on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.

skeezix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Frogger STFM/E BETA Release

Postby skeezix » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:19 am

screened?

What language and toolchain? Libs?

Jeff
--
Firebee, MiST, ST Book, STacy, TT030, 520STM, Atari 800XL, Atari 2600 heavy sixer, arcade machines, homemade computers, big toys for big boys!

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:36 am

Just tried it on Hatari (emulating a 4MB STE TOS 1.62). The overscan is slightly glitchy on the intro just before the text at the top of the screen appears. It's just the first and last line of the blue band that are visibly affected.

Other than that, I keep dying, but not really sure I can report that as a bug!!

Very nice work, seems faithful to the arcade version. Got me thinking, didn't somebody start work on Pole Position at one time??
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:51 am

screened?

Im not sure what you mean here? Sorry...

What language and toolchain? Libs?

Devpac3 - 68k Assembly
It was written from scratch so doesn't use a "library source" as such.

The overscan is slightly glitchy on the intro

I'll assume you mean the blue raster bar... that damned raster bar is going to be the death of me I swear... numerous attempts have been done to "fix" it.. ultimately, I THOUGHT Id rectified it lol

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:03 am

EstTeeEfEm wrote:
The overscan is slightly glitchy on the intro

I'll assume you mean the blue raster bar... that damned raster bar is going to be the death of me I swear... numerous attempts have been done to "fix" it.. ultimately, I THOUGHT Id rectified it lol

Yes - that :). Not tried it on real hardware (so might be ok there). It's only occurring during the animation sequence where the frogs hop up the screen.

During the game, it's absolutely fine so must be something daft, I'm sure!
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:03 am

t's only occurring during the animation sequence where the frogs hop up the screen.

Well, I THINK i've got to the route of the problem, I even tried it on Hatari and it seems fixed and very stable on the animations during the intro/title screen... Its a definite bug in my keyboard/joystick routine..

And as a byproduct, the keyboard vs character is now more responsive, thanks for checking it out and bug-hunting, now to reinstate the joystick routines and we're away ;)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:11 am

EstTeeEfEm wrote:FROGGER.RAR

Very nice implementation of a real classic :) But why distribute it as a RAR? It's a very uncommon format on Ataris. Not even Windows can read this format without third party tools, and basically all of them s*cks in terms of user friendliness.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

MM41
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby MM41 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:25 am

Thank you EsteeEfEm :D , nice classic game,
No music intro ? and same bug on blue band on my STe TOS1.62fr
:cheers:

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:12 pm

why distribute it as a RAR

Its just the tool I use atm on Windows, the next version will be ZIP - thanks for the heads up; I'll try and make it on the actual ST so its ST-Zip compatible too ;)

No music intro ? and same bug on blue band on my STe TOS1.62fr

re music on the title screen .. No, unfort not, it could be something I add later, no decisions yet but the arcade version is silent on the main screen and i didnt want to destroy the feeling.

Ok, The blue bar (raster) has now been fixed completely AND the joystick code is re-instated, once i've ironed out some other things I'll re-post another copy, maybe later or tomorrow...

Thanks for the support tho guys and gals ;) ... now to wait for my JagPad and add support for that too :D

skeezix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby skeezix » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:09 pm

Devpac .. nice :)

I was wondering if you used ay audio libs, or even more 'modern' libs like SDL; I had a lot of random issues with the Atari port of SDL in a few machines, but certainly does make things easier.. but going right to old school will make it tight, for sure :)

By screened (I was typing on a tablet, much to my pain) I meant.. got any screenshots? :) Won't have a chance to try this for awhile, but was curious if you had a page up; would love to see a pic and cheer you on all the same :)

jeff
--
Firebee, MiST, ST Book, STacy, TT030, 520STM, Atari 800XL, Atari 2600 heavy sixer, arcade machines, homemade computers, big toys for big boys!

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:04 pm

Very nice work! Seems incredibly faithful to the original.

Cooper
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cooper » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:23 pm

Congratulations for doing new games on ST, and it plays well on my STE :)

More please :D
Cooper/Paradize
STe / STf / Lynx

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:58 pm

was wondering if you used ay audio libs

The audio is straight from DMA-SC done in SNDH format so I wouldnt really be able to comment tbh. I also have this https://ataricrypt.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/frogger.html that shows some screenshots from Steve over at Ataricrypt.

Very nice work! Seems incredibly faithful to the original.

Thank you kind person ;) That was the overall intention :D

More please :D

Lol, thanks but one at a time ;) lol

Thanks for your words of support and everything else.. it means a lot, esp on those days when you wonder whether its worth it, and we all have those!

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Frogger STFM/E BETA Release [EDITED]

Postby Marakatti » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:21 pm

Wow, so smooth animation! Many thanks Scott :) Finally added the game on Atarimania ST too in MSA-format.

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st ... 30670.html
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:41 pm

Finally added the game on Atarimania ST too in MSA-format.

Thanks!! I really enjoy the work you do on AtariMania and many an old 'gem' (Get it? :) ) has been found lol...

I'll hopefully have a better version for you in the next week or so, more testing needed on different machines.

[UPDATE RE GAME - The upcoming version]

Systems that will hopefully be supported (That is, run and exit)

Falcon030 (ONLY Tested on Hatari 4.04 with 4MB mem and VGA/RGB modes... VGA looks off centre atm)
    MegaSTE (Slowed to 8mhz and cache off)
    STF/FM (Tested on TOS 1.02 and 1.04)
    STM (Untested on TOS 1.0)
    STE (Different video page flipping, maybe faster OR slower than STFM, not sure yet!)
    TT - Unsure yet as to whether I'll support and fix it for TT.. is there any demand?

I'll be sure to include MSA AND ST-Zip HD formats :)

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:15 pm

What needs fixing for TT?

As you already support Falcon & STfm, it already works with 030 and TT compatible video modes & sound...

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:53 pm

What needs fixing for TT?

Well, It RUNS on the TT, in ST-Low 'mode' but there are three major issues that need addressing really...

1)The screen is pure black all the time (If you press space to start a game the music plays, you can die and return to GEM, BUT all the while the screen is entirely black, (palette issue? or wrong settings for palette/Vsetscreen?) .. there are def issues with writing directly to $ffff8240, the ST colour registers (Bad for TT lol)

2) I can only test on Hatari, so I have no ideas as to how reliable the TT mode is on Hatari.

3) It will only run at 16Mhz which is really too fast for the game, maybe implement double VBl cheat? - On MSTE/Falcon this is software switched to 8MHz

I have the "Is it a TT?" code running so I can implement changes specific to TT code if thats what is required...

Im sorry if this seems overly technical in parts, sometimes its hard to judge what kind of answer is best to give so forgive me for that ;)

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:56 am

Updated version, almost complete..

SYS REQS
--------
ATARI STFM/STE (TOS 2.06 Compat)
1Mb of Memory or more
Colour Television/Monitor

N.B This version is NOT Falcon/TT/HADES compatible, its unlikely the actual game will be either. The game was always developed for the STFM/E range and this has stayed true right up until the very end. I would have hoped it was 030 compatible without too much issue but as a one-man operation it is far too time consuming to fix a game for machines i'll never use/own.

Please feel free to Fix it yourself if you have the necessary skills ;) I'd always appreciate it !!

Two differing formats for your enjoyment. They are NOT different versions so just download the one you prefer.

Frogger MSA Disk Image:
FROGGER.MSA

Frogger Files for HDD:
FROGPROG.ZIP

Now go play :D

(Black)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Frogger STFM/E BETA Release Vers: 11th Aug

Postby Marakatti » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:17 am

Thanks again Scott! May i ask who i should i credit for the sound fx?
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

English Invader
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby English Invader » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:16 am

Hard disk version runs without issue on my 4MB STe with TOS 1.62. Great stuff and a real improvement on Dave Munsie's Frogger.

And kudos for coding the game to work on a 1MB STfm. There are too many STe/TT/Falcon master-racers as it is and the older hardware often gets forgotten.

Would love to see more old school arcade ports.

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:13 pm

who i should i credit for the sound fx?
- That would be DMA-Sc, His work is really good, just waiting on updated sfx and music file to complete the set.

There are too many STe/TT/Falcon master-racers as it is and the older hardware often gets forgotten.

This has always been precisely my point lol. When I decided to switch from BASIC to Assembly language I still wanted to work for the FM with some 'E' enhancements. The Atari ST has always been the machine of choice for me. So I'll continue to develop for the FM as long as I can :D
Those 'newer' machines are very nice but not for me ..

Cheers :cheers: guys! I always respect and appreciate comments. Esp when people thank me for developing for the STFM. Im glad im not the only one!

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:18 pm

EstTeeEfEm & Marakatti: Actually, on the music and sound-effects work, Zerkman should be added to the credits, as he coded that music system base. :)

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:08 pm

Zerkman should be added to the credits

I stand corrected!! :?

Thanks for pointing that out DMA .. Perhaps I should read my mail more thoroughly next time :)

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:53 pm

EstTeeEfEm wrote:
    1)The screen is pure black all the time (If you press space to start a game the music plays, you can die and return to GEM, BUT all the while the screen is entirely black, (palette issue? or wrong settings for palette/Vsetscreen?) .. there are def issues with writing directly to $ffff8240, the ST colour registers (Bad for TT lol)

2) I can only test on Hatari, so I have no ideas as to how reliable the TT mode is on Hatari.

Vsetscreen() is completely handled by TOS. You could try EmuTOS in addition to TOS v3, but note that you will need EmuTOS v0.9.6 released few months ago for proper TT support:
https://sourceforge.net/p/emutos/news/2 ... rsion-096/

TT's ST-palette compatibility in higher color modes is done using 16-color banks. If you don't try to mess with bank settings and 16-colors are enough, I don't think there should be anything TT specific in how you handle colors, as long as no other program has changed the bank settings after boot.

For TT color bank emulation, you need Mercurial version of Hatari. I added proper support for that in March.

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:22 am

Okies... Version BETA 3 ..

Sucks that the Keyboard and Joystick system worked on ACCIDENT!
Mega thanks to Steve @ AtariCrypt for his MegaSTE testing that revealed this!! major Ef up on my part!! :|

So... fixed (Again! - and hopefully for the last time) the keyboard and joystick controls.

lol... so here is BETA V3 (Disregard any other versions, ive now added text in the titles to show the version number)

FROG_B3.MSA
- MSA Disk Image

FROG_B3.ZIP
- HD Version (No different, just files instead of MSA)

Sorry if anyone thought the last version was kool !?!

Thanks again Scott!
Maraketti, can you update AtariMania before I get complaints lol :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”