*** R-TYPE DELUXE SOURCE CODE ***

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

fenarinarsa
Atariator
Atariator

Re: *** R-TYPE DELUXE SOURCE CODE ***

Postby fenarinarsa » Mon May 15, 2017 11:02 am

AtariZoll wrote:Thanx for this. I think that I need to do new release of it. Any tips for some further changes (nothing big) ?

I'm going to check the game difficulty level, I'm not the best player at R-Type but I can go as far as Level 5 easily in the original game, and on this version I hardly succeed in ending the first level.

My guess is that ennemies launch too many bullets and that the collision detection uses larger masks than in the original.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon May 15, 2017 11:07 am

I did ROM access speed tests on Mega STE.
MSTEROMS.ZIP

1 is at 8MHz, 2 16MHz, cache off, 3 16MHz, cache on
Results - execution time:
1: 101
2: 100
3: 75
First idea was to perform some TOS function calls, but then went on only reading whole ROM in order. In test did it actually 4x in row. for better result. Values are Timer-C increment counts during test. With cache on (test 3) it is faster some 25% because faster read of instructions from RAM. Because accessing whole 256KB of ROM 16KB cache helps not in ROM access times - what was goal, of course.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

fenarinarsa
Atariator
Atariator

Postby fenarinarsa » Mon May 15, 2017 11:18 pm

Okay I added stage select & cheat code activation when the game starts (from unpacked files right now)

But I think there is already all the logic to go from on stage to another, there is a main part that loops back to the beginning of the level when you beat the boss (if the cheat mode is not activated). So I guess I can put the stage loading function there and see what happens.

There is also mentions of a "demo mode" but all the code related to this mode is commented out.

FYI I'm on Windows and I use SublimeText with the "M68k Assembly" package for syntax highlighting and vasm to assemble the source code.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”