R-TYPE DELUXE

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: R-TYPE DELUXE

Postby Dal » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:20 pm

Great work - Thanks for the Christmas present!
:D
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:42 pm

nice work :D

I got it running on my 4meg 2.06 STe by copying all the files to two floppies, then rebooting holding 'ALT' so that I didn't load HDDriver.
Theres a bit of disk swapping, but after a while it loaded, ran the title sequence, started level one, then ten seconds later I died :D

just as hard as I remember :D :D

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:35 pm

Absolutely superb. Bod - thank you!! :D
AtariCrypt ... ST/e gaming https://ataricrypt.blogspot.com

AlextheLioNet
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AlextheLioNet » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:20 am

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:25 am

dlfrsilver wrote:you need to insert a floppy disk (no matter which one) inside the main drive, if you launch the game from hard drive.

Thanks for the tip, works fine now :)

Have been looking forward to this version, very nice graphics in this edition of R-Type and cool remixes of the soundtrack. Great X-mas gift :cheers:
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

kni
Atariator
Atariator

Postby kni » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:55 am

Thank you very much! And Happy New Year!
some Falcons, some STe's, some ST's, some STacy's, some Jaguars, some Lynx's and one TT :mrgreen:

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:12 pm

Having a great time with this!

Very minor odd thing - on the high score entry screen, when scrolling through the letters, the "R" has an extra pixel at the bottom.

Collision detection is more aggressive than the arcade which makes the game play a bit different from the original when it comes to strategy, for example when fighting the second level boss on the arcade you could tuck into the middle of the top of the enemy and hammer the fire button to finish it off but on the new ST version you get killed trying to do that even without touching anything. Is that something that can be tweaked?

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:49 pm

MM41 wrote::( don't work on my STe TOS1.62/4Mb (red screen too) ,let's go to try on emulator :D

Get the same red screen problem on a real STE with 2.06 4mb running from hard drive, I just ran the RTYPE.TOS from the RTYPE folder on the hard drive, not sure if I was meant to do anything else? Some guidance would be nice?

If it's possible to run from a copy of floppies, how are the files split up? (obviously too big to fit on one floppy disk)
Last edited by catmando on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:23 pm

junosix wrote:Collision detection is more aggressive than the arcade which makes the game play a bit different from the original when it comes to strategy...

You are right. Collision detection must be fine tuned, because now it will detect "close calls" as collisions. Can't believe how you made it that far, none of my old "moves" are working due to this and I get killed within 20 seconds - every time :)
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:51 pm

catmando wrote:
MM41 wrote::( don't work on my STe TOS1.62/4Mb (red screen too) ,let's go to try on emulator :D

Get the same red screen problem on a real STE with 2.06 4mb running from hard drive, I just ran the RTYPE.TOS from the RTYPE folder on the hard drive, not sure if I was meant to do anything else? Some guidance would be nice?

If it's possible to run from a copy of floppies, how are the files split up?

Also same red screen if I run the machine using TOS 1.62, must be something to do with the 4MB of RAM or booting it from hard drive.

I tried it in Steem (emulated 1.62, 2MB ram and booted it from the hard drive) and it worked, shame it's not working on real hardware though.
Atari STFM

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:28 am

joska wrote:Can't believe how you made it that far, none of my old "moves" are working due to this and I get killed within 20 seconds - every time :)

I can get to level 3! Doesn't seem to be any way to complete it at the moment though.

Ayreon
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Ayreon » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:46 pm

I wonder why it hasn't been mentioned here yet, but if my memory serves me well I read a couple of days ago (somewhere on facebook) that this version uses the same adress space as the HD driver (don't know if all or just a specific HD driver). I guess that's why many of you have problems.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:25 pm

Ayreon wrote:I wonder why it hasn't been mentioned here yet, but if my memory serves me well I read a couple of days ago (somewhere on facebook) that this version uses the same adress space as the HD driver (don't know if all or just a specific HD driver). I guess that's why many of you have problems.

Is there a way to move HD driver to a different address space? It's probably the most well used driver out there so a lot of people will have an issue if a workaround can't be found
Atari STFM

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:42 pm

I could do hard disk fix of this - in same way as did with many games. But since this is named preview version, I would rather wait little on some update. Too bad that bod/STAX is not here to answer some simple questions.
But if it can motivate him. I can do it right now :-) Will need 4MB RAM min in any case with this version.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Postby Marcer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:53 pm

Bod!

Not many know the effort behind this! Many Thanks for this! I hope the St developers see this and face their status.

Meanwhile I want to salut giana ste and pacmania ste.

I dare to say finally we get the ste games we expected in the past!
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Atari Legend (Games all-a-round)
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:21 am

Sadly, my Mega STE gets the red screen no matter what I do. So I'm a bit gutted! (works in Hatari when I mount the .st image as Drive A of course). I do have a couple of programs to set RAM to either 512 or 1024.. So just for kicks I set my ram to 1mb and tried R-Type Deluxe again. Instead of the red screen I now get a piece of text telling me the game needs 2mb of ram to run / no cartridges installed / 8Mhz /etc

So, IF there is a program out there to set the ST Ram to 2Mb then I'm guessing it might work? (is there?)
Looks like it doesn't like 4Mb computers??

Steve

edit:
Sorry, I forgot to say that I'm using ultrasatan and booted from off both my cards:
One is the latest HD Driver and the other ICD that came free with my satan.... HTH

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:59 am

This was posted by bod/Stax on Facebook recently:

Bod/STAX via FB wrote:*** R-TYPE DELUXE WARNING!!! ***
Small warning guys from ggn: don't run this game from a hard drive as is. The loader code is copied low in ram, in places where usually system stuff reside, especially hard disk drivers. This will certainly overwrite the CosmosEx driver if you're booting from a translated drive (like I do) and very probably overwrite HDDriver.
Thanks to ggn for discovering this issue, I'll be sorting this over the next week or so.
To run from floppy format two disks 82/10/2 copy the files STAGE2-8.DAT end ENDING.RTP to disk B and all other files to DISK A.
I don't have any harddisk so was unaware of this issue!!!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

With this in mind, if you want to run on a real machine, you will have to create the floppies as described and then run your machine without hard drives / mass storage devices for the time being.

Let's not forget this is a PREVIEW. The work that's gone into it is clearly immense.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:14 am

Dal wrote:This was posted by bod/Stax on Facebook recently:

Bod/STAX via FB wrote:*** R-TYPE DELUXE WARNING!!! ***
Small warning guys from ggn: don't run this game from a hard drive as is. The loader code is copied low in ram, in places where usually system stuff reside, especially hard disk drivers. This will certainly overwrite the CosmosEx driver if you're booting from a translated drive (like I do) and very probably overwrite HDDriver.
Thanks to ggn for discovering this issue, I'll be sorting this over the next week or so.
To run from floppy format two disks 82/10/2 copy the files STAGE2-8.DAT end ENDING.RTP to disk B and all other files to DISK A.
I don't have any harddisk so was unaware of this issue!!!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

With this in mind, if you want to run on a real machine, you will have to create the floppies as described and then run your machine without hard drives / mass storage devices for the time being.

Let's not forget this is a PREVIEW. The work that's gone into it is clearly immense.

Thanks for finding that, explains a lot and helps a lot. Cheers
Atari STFM

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:16 am

and BIG thank you from me also :D
I'm no longer on Facebook... Damn it proved useful for once! heh
R-Type is up and running right now from floppy! Time to play.............

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:25 pm

Here is hard disk runnable fix/adaptation:
RTDLS.ZIP

Requirements: STE or Mega STE with 4MB RAM. 3.4MB free RAM. Mass storage or HD floppy. Statesaves only on mass storage.
As this is for early preview, no scoresave support. I wanted to replace ICE packed files with better and faster compressor, and it worked partially, but game's depacking is inconsistent, so that needs more time. Would be good if bod/STAX show up - ICE depacking is really slow, and what I used is not just faster, but packs better too.
I hope this helps that more people can run this nice game update on their machines. Probably now most of STE/MSTE users have some mass storage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:27 pm

Absolutely superb. THANK YOU :cheers:

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:18 pm

thanks petari!

it is indeed very hard game but challenging ! :)
I must try Amiga version since it looks two times faster!
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Works perfectly on the MIST board. The title screen is garbage, but that's due to our CPU core ...

Do you use the STEs microwire audio mixer?

Thanks a lot!
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:55 pm

AtariZoll wrote:Here is hard disk runnable fix/adaptation:

Just for the records: You are patching a game that is still under development? That's cool.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:44 pm

Wonderful! Thank you!
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”