Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Tapatalk disabled

Postby Dal » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:57 pm

All,

We had a recent issue whereby a locked thread was successfully posted to by a standard user via Tapatalk. While this is being investigated, I have disabled the Tapatalk Extension.

I have learned through chatting to phpBB support that Tapatalk is still not an officially validated phpBB extension - meaning that it likely uses methods outside of the proper phpBB API to go about its business. I have logged a support request with Tapatalk to ask them to confirm whether or not their extension is interfacing 100% directly through the documented phpBB API. I have also asked them to confirm when they expect to have the extension validated by phpBB.

Right now, I'm of the opinion that we should wait until phpBB officially adds Tapatalk to its Extensions Database before re-implementing the function.

Sorry for the inconvenience. If you know or run other phpBB boards that use Tapatalk, you may wish to consider this information. I will update the thread as and when I get a response.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

simonsunnyboy

Re: Tapatalk disabled

Postby simonsunnyboy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:27 pm

FULL ACK, a plugin should not give unexpected access rights. The next one gives full admin possibilities by using /hoho_give_me_admin as the URL :P
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:12 pm

phpBB support reckon they do a bit of direct database bashing. This is a HUGE no-no.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:17 pm

I don't use Tapatalk, but would like to say few words about some recently locked threads. There is at least 3 where Amiga vs Atari flame war (or at least it looked so) was on. It is indeed boring, and we saw plenty of similar ones, but sometimes it has some positive. Like that some people 'show their cards' in heat of discussion. I don't care much for bad words and insults - was insulted here and everywhere from people with low knowledge. What I care is to raise knowledge level, to discover some new facts and interesting features, possibilities. It is often spoiled by jealous people, and those wgo can not stand that something "their" is not better than something "our" . Even if nobody claimed anything about what is better :D
So, from now I will not go into more silly discussions with proven troublemakers and spreaders of false and impossible claims. Will report their posts with explanation. I think that we have here another one who crossed the line.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:19 pm

So is Tapatalk enabled again?
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:03 pm

joska wrote:So is Tapatalk enabled again?

OMG - it actually ignores the fact I disabled it through the Admin Console!!! :evil:

OK - it's being completely removed from the file system, let's see how that goes. In the meantime, another ticket is being raised on them...

**EDIT: That did the trick ***

Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:24 pm

Perhaps "Hackatalk" would be a more suitable name for this app... ;) :D

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:14 pm

Since the new version of the forum is responsive and easily accessible from any mobile device, is there a need for tapatalk?
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:45 pm

Accessing the forum via web on a phone is pretty much useless compared to Tapatalk. Tapatalk is a very popular app, I'm sure it's possible to find out why it's not behaving correctly with this particular forum.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:43 am

joska wrote:Accessing the forum via web on a phone is pretty much useless compared to Tapatalk. Tapatalk is a very popular app, I'm sure it's possible to find out why it's not behaving correctly with this particular forum.

Seconded. I like to use tapatalk to access the forum.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:18 am

I understand, we all like the convenience of Tapatalk. Like many admins of many forums, I had assumed they were doing it the right way so installed it because users were asking for it and everyone else had it.

After chatting with one of phpBB's developers on irc about it, he was saying there are all sorts of funny things going on in their code which is why they have not yet approved it as an official extension for phpbb 3.1. Not least of all directly reading and writing to the database as opposed to going via the established API (a huge no-no).

Until I can be sure Tapatalk isn't potentially bypassing the forum's security or ignoring the fact I disabled it in ACP, it will remain off the board.

Another thing to consider is that Tapatalk is now promoting monetisation and potentially looking to target advertising to users. I want to be confident that their plugin is secure before they continue to have access to this forum's members.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:32 am

Thanks to information from Calimero, I have been able to reproduce the behaviour with phpBB 3.1.5 running on our test server.

Here are my test details:

Tapatalk Testing wrote:1. Browser based test using two separate computers (one logged in as a dummy user account and anther logged in as a dummy moderator account).
- Browser 1 logged in as user, starts replying to thread
- Browser 2 logged in as mod, locks thread
- Browser 1 hits submit
- Result: message is not posted and the user is informed the thread is now locked. <--- Expected behaviour

2. TapaTalk test. User is logged in via Tapatalk on iPhone while the moderator is logged in on a PC using a regular browser
- Tapatalk user starts replying to a thread
- Moderator locks thread
- Tapatalk user submits reply
- Result: Reply is successfully posted to the thread despite it being locked. <--- Not good!

This looks to me like an issue with Tapatalk not using the phpBB API correctly.

If you know anyone using Tapatalk on their forums, I suggest you make them aware of this potential loophole (there could well be others). They can then make a decision for themselves.

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:09 am

I never used Tapatalk , but it sounds like a right hack to me. A hack with security loopholes at that. Its a wonder Tapatalk hasn't been used as a exploit for the forum, who knows what damage could be done with it.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:47 am

I used to have tapatalk on my Android phone but only to see what it does when I was working on a tapatalk app for the Atari (PH Forum Notify).
It does everything via it's own web services and does not use any PHPBB api at all. Using it's own Tapatalk API allows the app to talk to any Tapatalk able forum regardless of the underlying forum infrastructure.
Anyway, I already removed tapatalk app from my android years ago as I found reading and replying on a small screen is very difficult for my failing eyesight... but mostly because I stopped developing tapatalk app for the Atari also years ago.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:53 pm

I never used it to post, like some others the tiny screen on a mobile isn't the best for my eyes. :) I did however, have it installed just to get the audio/video notifications on my mobile about posts of interest. However, I can live without that.

Kirkman
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Kirkman » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:47 am

joska wrote:Accessing the forum via web on a phone is pretty much useless compared to Tapatalk. Tapatalk is a very popular app, I'm sure it's possible to find out why it's not behaving correctly with this particular forum.

I'm also a Tapatalk user. I understand the security concerns, but really hope it can somehow be resolved.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:29 am

+1 for tapatalk whenever it can be put back
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:38 am

any update on a resolution?
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:56 am

They have gone very quiet. I even had an email from someone else at Tapatalk as they noticed I'd taking the board off and wanted to know what, if anything, they could do. I sent back a reply stating that I'm waiting for a resolution to my bug report and that's the last I heard from them.

As soon as Tapatalk is added to the phpBB extensions database, I'll re-deploy.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:48 am

Dal wrote:They have gone very quiet. I even had an email from someone else at Tapatalk as they noticed I'd taking the board off and wanted to know what, if anything, they could do. I sent back a reply stating that I'm waiting for a resolution to my bug report and that's the last I heard from them.

As soon as Tapatalk is added to the phpBB extensions database, I'll re-deploy.

FWIW I've started using the mobil web version and while Tapatalk did better notifications it's definitely something I can live with now.

/Troed

Philsan
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Philsan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:38 am

Dal wrote:As soon as Tapatalk is added to the phpBB extensions database, I'll re-deploy.

Thank you!

Kirkman

Postby Kirkman » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:58 pm

Anything new on the Tapatalk front? Would really love to get back into browsing the forum.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:03 pm

Kirkman wrote:Anything new on the Tapatalk front? Would really love to get back into browsing the forum.

Nothing new.

Unfortunately, Tapatalk devs are still hacking their own way into the phpBB backend rather than using the official API.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:41 pm

I recently refreshed my installation on the CPCWiki forum (using SMF). Tapatalk has been giving us problems for ages (some are "amusing", like serving photos that don't belong to our forum*, others less so, like it stopping working for no reason then coming back, or the TT console reporting at one point that my installation is ok and at the other that TT has not been installed, stuff like that).

But, imagine my surprise at finding that Tapatalk currently works for my forum.......

.....without having installed it :D

There's the mobiquo folder left over from the previous forum installation, but no plugin and the forum code is bleached clean. And yet my users are using TT.

Just thought I'd amuse you :D

*the images it served came from a US gun enthusiasts forum. Now imagine if my forum was for gun victims...
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

sandy421
Atarian
Atarian

Postby sandy421 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:24 pm

joska wrote:Accessing the forum via web http://www.comparateur-mutuelle-assurance-sante.com on a phone is pretty much useless compared to Tapatalk. Tapatalk is a very popular app, I'm sure it's possible to find out why it's not behaving correctly with this particular forum.

hello!! i use the lastest lg's smart phone and it works on it and it work well!
thanks!!

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”