New program: "Serial Disk"

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

z80andrew
Atarian
Atarian

Re: New program: "Serial Disk"

Postby z80andrew » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:28 am

joska wrote:Good luck in porting .net applications to anything but the major, current operating systems. C on the other hand can be ported to virtually anything. What if I want to run the SerialDisk server on my Falcon to share files with my ST's with no ethernet hardware?

What's done is done. There's no point arguing my choice of programming platform at this point. If you want it to run on your Falcon (or indeed anything else), look at the serial data that SerialDisk sends (the source code is freely available) and replicate that in your programming language of choice.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:48 am

Of course, the choice of programming language is entirely up to the developer. I just did not agree that C#/.net is *more* portable than plain C.
Last edited by joska on Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

z80andrew
Atarian
Atarian

Postby z80andrew » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:53 pm

For those interested, SerialDisk now supports the following operating systems:

- Windows x64 (Tested on Windows 10)
- Linux x64 (Tested on Ubuntu 19.04)
- Linux ARM32 (Tested on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ with Ubuntu Server 18.04.02 LTS ARMHF)
- Linux ARM64 (Tested on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ with Ubuntu Server 18.04.02 LTS ARM64)

both with and without the .NET Core runtime installed. I'm not planning to release a Windows x86 version any time soon, but I can if there's any demand for it.

Grab it from the SerialDisk site - https://github.com/z80andrew/SerialDisk

arf wrote:Cool stuff! You got the first “star” from me :-)

Thanks! :cheers:

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”