SCSI2SD

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

firyembers
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

SCSI2SD

Postby firyembers » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:11 am

I know it's not a particular new subject this has been mentioned on here in 2 main posts here,search scsi2sd but i do think after many many hours i have spent looking for.
This is an affordable modification to at last get a reliable working sd card to negate the hard drive or scsi floppy drive

And granted there have been many successful projects to attain that goal.

I just happen to like this one the best the project is open firmware,all the files are available and the guy Micheal replies to all queries in a timely manner,to the degree i bought 10 pcb's and a complete one to upgrade my music gear and the TT030's and Falcons,Mega STE,and various stfm's ste's

He has just also just brought out a new revision v4.2 with holes to suit the 3.5 to 2.5 trays that are cheap enough on eBay.

This in a 3.5 slot is for the music gear i have that have scsi floppy drives

Make a front panel from some 25x25mm plastic or ally angle with a slot for the sd card.

Anyways a link or two

http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index. ... le=SCSI2SD

There is a link to buy at his (about 1/2 way down)online shop

eBay tray

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371041992521? ... 1423.l2649

Amazon surprisingly has it same price

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009 ... J16O67XA5A

Anyways choose as you like,there are so many and it's refreshing to see another open source well thought out project that is practical that does not cost an arm and a leg to realise.

tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: SCSI2SD

Postby tenox » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:34 pm

FYI Atari System V Unix boots from these. I'm very very happy.

The only issue is use of a micro-SD card instead of full size SD.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:03 am

I don't much care for micro-SD myself. My TT030 has this installed. Google translate helps. ;)
http://www.artmix.com/CF_AztecMonster.html

tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby tenox » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:00 am

I used to have AztecMonster but Apple A/UX and Atari ASV refuses to work with it. TOS is fine.

Micro-SD requires tweezers to operate and thickness of TT case is larger than the length of Micro-SD card sticking out of SCSI2SD. But then again you probably are not supposed to remove it too easily.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:39 pm

Ordered one for my CT60.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby tenox » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:51 am

Beware of this...

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:45 am

Beware of what?
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:55 am

i guess beware of mounting holes,
I see that they have different position that harddisk
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:35 pm

tenox wrote:I used to have AztecMonster but Apple A/UX and Atari ASV refuses to work with it. TOS is fine.

Did you figure out why or is it one of those unsolved mysteries? I have a web page about the AztecMonster and the TT030 and would like to add the info.

tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby tenox » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:32 pm

lp wrote:
tenox wrote:I used to have AztecMonster but Apple A/UX and Atari ASV refuses to work with it. TOS is fine.

Did you figure out why or is it one of those unsolved mysteries? I have a web page about the AztecMonster and the TT030 and would like to add the info.

It's an unsolved mystery. Would probably require protocol analyzer to figure out. Most likely some obscure SCSI command is not supported or results in something unexpected.

See this: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9629&start=100#p241358

I get the same error on I-O Data, Yamaha, Acard and Artmix. Unable to get capacity. SPC is a SCSI primary command set. Probably one of the commands is unsupported.

Stefanken
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Stefanken » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi,
I just received a scsi2sd board from Michael and I just tried to use it on my Mega STE as internal HD.
My setup is:

scsi2sd-config --no-parity --blocks=2048000

with the original firmware the card is actually recognized by HDDRIVER, but the Mega hangs soon after reporting the HD identification.
So I tried to update the firmware to 3.6-RC1 but the card is not recognized anymore...
I tried to revert to the original firmware but I wasn't able to find the 3.5 cyacd file on the internet...
Did anybody here succeeded in using this lovely piece of hardware with a Mega STE?

Cheers

Stefanken
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Stefanken » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:35 pm

Huge success here with scsi2sd in my mega ste!!
using --no-parity and --blocks=2048000 options and using a jumper on terminator power the device is recognized by the system and perfectly partitioned by HDDRIVER. The only problem (at the moment) is that I'm not able to make it work with an external ultrasatan connected to the acsi port (SCSI IDs are different, off course, I had to set US to 1 and 2 before to use it with my real physical internal SCSI HD).
The microSD, after partitioning, can be used on a PC to transfer file (if you use TOS/WINDOWS mode in partitioning with HDDRIVER) and this is cool!
The coolest thing is that my internal HD is not going to die every 6 months like before!
I'm going to perform some performance test, I'll let you know
Cheers
Stef

tuf
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tuf » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:53 am

Hi Stef, resurrecting an old thread!

I'm trying to do the exact same thing in my MegaSTE and have tried your suggestions. Can you comment perhaps on the type of SD card you have? I've tried Sandisk 8gb card (the smallest I can find) and am not having any luck.

The Mega sees the SCSI2SD fine but when I try to format with either ICD or HDDRIVER I get errors with them not being able to calculate size or read from drive c: etc.

Thx!

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”