I agree 100% to tenox. This has to be fought off! Why? Because this forum is one of our biggest ressources we got, we are several thousands of people here, and if Atari Inc. gets along with such a silly standard letter, they will go on and stoush several smaller websites and projects! As there is no copyright infringement, and especially atari-forum.com has nothing to do with Atari Inc. IP, there is some responsibility towards the community, even if it may become a little bit exhausting.
We have to fight agains this demands.
• As troed pointed out, Alpha Hosting is wrong. They are not allowed to suspend or terminate the service in general, just because a concern is demanding it! They have to fulfill the agreements with ICANN! So the first step should be to make clear to Alpha hosting that we will not accept it and will not "allow the suspension".
• Subsequetly it should be cleared if Steve Shickles from simplehelix.com is the domain owner, or if he just registered as tech contact. How is he connected to Alpha Hosting, and to atari-forum.com? Will he support us, or as Calimero asked, be willing to transfer the domain (if he is the owner) to Brume, Dal or anybody from atari-forum.com? Best case would be to transfere the domain somewhere outside of the USA.
• Than we should restrain Atari Inc. as there is no copyright infringement at all! There have already bee many arguments why. Additionally they have no rights after we used this domain for 12 (!) years!
• I am willing to donate for a good lawyer to fight this off. And I am sure there are houndrets more of us. If we show a little bit solidarity it will not become a huge problem for single people!
• They have to get that their trademark will be harmed if they start a real law suite, and that the Streisand effect is at our side!
In general I have to say, I do not understand where all the fear comes from. A single simple standard-letter (I expect after a 2 minute "check" frome some office worker), and most of you are thinking about new domains, ... ? It is not a "real disaster" at all, its just a letter to the domain hoster right now, not even any contact to the owner. Please do not act like if a company has some almightiness, especially if they are wrong!
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.