Something wicked this way comes this Fall :)

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Greyfox™
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Something wicked this way comes this Fall :)

Postby Greyfox™ » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:13 pm

Rather than say anything about it at the moment, I'll just leave this here :)

Check back for updates real soon :)

Artwork and layout subject to change before release.

Suggestions are most welcome...
↓↓Click Banner to See More↓↓
-== Making Atari great once more ==-

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Something wicked this way comes this Fall :)

Postby dhedberg » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:32 pm

Ah, what a great surprise! I wasn't sure if you would do it or not, but now it looks like it will happen! Wonderful!
Will it be strictly ST only, or will it feature STE/TT/Falcon030 stuff as well?
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

Greyfox™
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Greyfox™ » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:39 pm

I don't know yet as I'm only concepting the idea..I would probably be only focusing on the Atari ST and maybe something on the Atari STe stuff, as it's total games related magazine, plus I'm hoping to acquire some stuff that hasn't been covered on the Atari ST before, but you'll all have to wait and see what happens :)

but it will be 100% Atari ST focused and I'm hoping to have even more pages this time around. :cheers:

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:18 pm

Looking forward to this - consider me a "pre-order". :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:06 pm

Yea, this is an order from me too. Great stuff. Please try to get a proofreader this time to get the spelling and grammar errors knocked out! :contract:

And Please, PLEASE have a 2 page spread on those great software developers Tiertex!

Haha j/k. I know everyone around here hates them :) I kinda enjoyed Strider back in the day though. :angel:

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:16 pm

I'm in the US, but this would be fantastic! I didn't have an Atari 8-bit but, based on the reaction you received to that issue, I'd definitely purchase an ST issue.

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:28 pm

Will it have a cover disk? :wink:

Greyfox™
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Greyfox™ » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:03 pm

darwinmac wrote:I'm in the US, but this would be fantastic! I didn't have an Atari 8-bit but, based on the reaction you received to that issue, I'd definitely purchase an ST issue.

No mate this will be more than lightly a digital download, the cost to get something like this to print would cost an arm and a leg, but if you lost that leg, we'd help you look for it :) , no it will be a digital download.

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Yea, this is an order from me too. Great stuff. Please try to get a proofreader this time to get the spelling and grammar errors knocked out! :contract:

And Please, PLEASE have a 2 page spread on those great software developers Tiertex
Haha j/k. I know everyone around here hates them :) I kinda enjoyed Strider back in the day though. :angel:

:megaphone: Ahh boo hoo to you..just for that I'm going to do that tiertex review so you may have to go into therapy for awhile to think such a thing, the spelling was great last time, the grammar not so much to the way it should of being, but it hopefully will be addressed big time this time around, as this will be the last Atari publication that I will be doing , I have other platforms to cover, so better make this a good one. :cheers:

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:46 pm

Greyfox™ wrote:
TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Yea, this is an order from me too. Great stuff. Please try to get a proofreader this time to get the spelling and grammar errors knocked out! :contract:

And Please, PLEASE have a 2 page spread on those great software developers Tiertex

:megaphone: Ahh boo hoo to you..just for that I'm going to do that tiertex review so you may have to go into therapy for awhile to think such a thing, the spelling was great last time, the grammar not so much to the way it should of being, but it hopefully will be addressed big time this time around, as this will be the last Atari publication that I will be doing , I have other platforms to cover, so better make this a good one. :cheers:

Haha, funny. I don't mean to criticize too much. I really enjoyed the last magazine. I just noticed a lot of textual issues while reading it. The layout and presentation were awesome.

Remember, spelling errors like writing "to" instead of "too" or writing "though" instead of "thought" will not be caught by a spell checker. They are still spelling errors though. :D

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:46 am

Greyfox™ wrote:
darwinmac wrote:I'm in the US, but this would be fantastic! I didn't have an Atari 8-bit but, based on the reaction you received to that issue, I'd definitely purchase an ST issue.

No mate this will be more than lightly a digital download, the cost to get something like this to print would cost an arm and a leg, but if you lost that leg, we'd help you look for it :) , no it will be a digital download.

A digital download would be perfect! I would definitely be interested in a copy when you finish.

Bob C

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:38 am

Above post was a personal attack and contravenes our simple forum rules.

Personal gripes or questions surrounding the personnel of a given project should be made in a diplomatic way or in private message. Making public assumptions borne from a personal dislike of a particular person on a thread comes across as trolling and will not be tolerated. When those assumptions are completely unfounded, the situation is worse.

Having given this member the opportunity to save face and put it right, I have been left with no choice but to fix this thread myself.

Hopefully GreyFox still wishes to proceed with his product.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Cyrano Jones
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Cyrano Jones » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:35 pm

Completely unfounded?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220209 ... ?p=2896175

Hardly. If you associate with this kind of person, you should expect questions.

Hoever, if the mag is Liar'd free I wish you all the best with it.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:51 pm

OK you want to do this in public?

You don't need to show me threads about the guy you seem to spend too much of your spare time destroying - this is old news.

There are 'journalists' who write crap all over our newspapers, news sites and go on radio/TV etc. I don't waste my energy trolling them or their associates purely because I don't value their opinion or feel they lack credibility. I just don't acknowledge them. They do their thing and I pay no attention to it whatsoever as is my right in a free society.

I thought all this playground crap finished years ago - aren't we all adults yet?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. If you don't like a contributor to a publication then of course you are not obliged to buy it. You could have enquired about contributors in a Private Message to Greyfox or if you insist on doing it publicly, then you could have asked the question without all the spitting daggers ("LIAR'd" this and "credibility" that). To quote your own sig "It's not rocket science".

People here are trying to do small things for a small community. Taking personal swipes at people doesn't make you look good nor does it actually resolve anything.

I have huge respect for your work CJ, however it is not your place to dictate who people should and should not work with. Nor should anyone be made to feel like they should justify their decisions to you.

That's the point.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Greyfox™
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Greyfox™ » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:23 pm

Cyrano Jones wrote:Completely unfounded?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220209 ... ?p=2896175

Hardly. If you associate with this kind of person, you should expect questions.

Hoever, if the mag is Liar'd free I wish you all the best with it.

Okay to clear up some perspective on this, number one. The user "Mclaneinc" of Atari Age made an incorrect assumption on another user he presumed was " The Laird " because he was influnaced by another members suggestion of again of incorrect identity by "Remowilliams" and then turned out again this person was not who they claimed they were which resulted in Mclaneinc been man enough to publically apoloize to The Lost Dragon" for mis-identity and the way he was treated simply because he was trying to help create awareness of a new Atari publication. Again who's at fault here? Lost Dragon? for trying to help promote something of great interest to the Atari 8-bit community. Mclaneinc? who was been remotely controlled in his influences and questioning?. This is why nothing new or illuminating appears from these communities for this type of behaviour and treatment of others and their efforts to make something great and begs the idea why bother? If your work is going to be trolled or be belittled over who been involved?

Number 2. Your suggestions about this person had absolutely nothing to with this Atari ST magazine nor should I have to explain whos involved if the magazine if it has superb content and features not talked about etc..although Kieren's game reviews were present in the Atari 8-bit gamer magazine does not warrant the negative post that was directed at my project using him as the pattsy to get your message across, I get it, you have a problem with this person, but I've done nothing on you or your colleagues for what I felt was unjustified response this project and me, I'm a big fan of all the work you guys have done on the Atari ST now and back then with the compact disks and have allot of admiration for d-bug, automation, Pompey pirates Medway boys etc..but there was no need to mention somebody else to direct or make me choose who I will have do articles for this because this person is disliked for their past or whatever if their information is relivent or interesting it will go in regardless who writes it. If you choose to purchase this magazine when it appears I of course thank you for your interest, but if you don't, that's fair enough but do not expect me to disregard somebody's work or been used in my publication simply because they are disliked :cheers:

Thanks for your time.

I

Cyrano Jones
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Cyrano Jones » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:37 pm

I'm sorry. but as a 'journalist' you should not only expect your work to be questioned, but be able to back it up with proof - something entirely lacking in almost anything ever written by Mr Hawken.

Using the newspapers example, are you saying we should never question anything printed in the News of the World or The Sun because, well, it MUST be true? Sorry, I cannot accept that analogy.

And yes, this became personal when you deleted my post.

All Fox had to say was 'There is no Kieren content in this magazine' - Hell, I even said I'd buy a copy if that was the case.

There was no personal attack on Grayfox, anywhere, in my post.

sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sh3-rg » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:12 pm

Dal wrote:Above post was a personal attack and contravenes our simple forum rules.

Dal, why are you bending over backwards for someone crying "personal attack! personal attack!" when that member themselves is not afraid to throw around petty, puerile and unchecked insults on this very board? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23047&p=206295#p206295 .

Yeah, that link was his personal attack aimed squarely at myself in defense of his beloved Kieren, but I didn't feel the need to run and tell tales to the moderators, I just shrugged it off and hoped for his sake that he never has the (dis?)pleasure of meeting me in person and therefore sees first hand how I might respond when jumping down from those lofty heights of a 4-tier nuptial ceremony megalith.

The "attack" by CJ wasn't even directed to the user who made the complaint and it's even a stretch to cal it an attack, it was more a request for clarity given his previous allegiances and bedfellows, coupled with, what appeared to me, to be a healthy dose of scepticism and reservation.

Dal wrote:Hopefully GreyFox still wishes to proceed with his product.

Oh, snap... so he threatened to pull the plug because someone on the Internets said something he didn't like and his good buddy wound him right up for a dose of retaliation? That's straight out of the Dummies Guide To Flame War Strategy; 101-tier tactics.

Maybe CJ shouldn't have made the comment in quite the way he did (I'm not going to judge him or his words, that's up to you guys and maybe only google cache knows or cares anymore), but if Kieren is balls-deep in this production, you're damn right people will want to know about that. There's more than just a half dozen or so guys been subject to this specimen's own particular brand of outright idiocy and mischief.

Then again, given GeryFox's apparent talent and flair for the use of the English language (not a flame or personal attack, but a personal and, I feel, accurate assessment of the work of someone who publishes his words), then it's probably best all 'round if he were to resort to simply building a website of his pretty pictures and over-saturated colour-shock logos, then people can simply click away rather than throw their hard-earned cash at something that reads painfully all too similar to a junior school class project... I'm not saying everyone who puts their words into print should be right up there, regarded as one of our time's great literary wordsmiths, but a simple spell check or arming oneself with a secondary school level equivalency certificate might go a long way to preventing the squirms and related face-aches of readers.

As for the series of events posted just now by mr Fox... yeah, straight out of The Big Book Of Crap That Really Happened Honest or How I Won The Internets With Pure Logic And Facts (c) Laird Software 2010. Just because you say something, it doesn't magically make it true. Nobody cares about your convoluted and fabricated filling in of the blanks... it just seeks to obfusticate for obvious reasons.

tl;dr: pander to these kids and reap what you sow... the growing list of those who got bit on the bum or worse is testament to how well that works out.
Last edited by sh3-rg on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:13 pm

Some points have been missed here.

Cyrano Jones wrote:I'm sorry. but as a 'journalist' you should not only expect your work to be questioned, but be able to back it up with proof - something entirely lacking in almost anything ever written by Mr Hawken.

I have not said I disagree with you views on this guy. For the sake of being impartial, I should say that I'm not confirming that I agree with them either ;). But this is not about that at all. The complaint against your post was purely because of your attitude and the way you expressed the point as if to suggest GreyFox was at liberty to justify to you who he decides to work with. If you had just asked him direct via PM or without the derogatory comments, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Cyrano Jones wrote:Using the newspapers example, are you saying we should never question anything printed in the News of the World or The Sun because, well, it MUST be true? Sorry, I cannot accept that analogy.

Er no - re-read my post verbatim rather than what you 'think' you like to read from it. My analogy is more along the lines of: there are crap journalists as well as good ones. Put your money in the ones whose views you respect and not in the others. That's not to say you can't pick up some discarded copy of the Sun and have a good chuckle at narrow viewed columns now and again of course.

Cyrano Jones wrote:And yes, this became personal when you deleted my post.

If your post wasn't derogatory it wouldn't have been deleted. Calling people liars (whoever they are), is personal. The rules are simple, Personal attacks are not tolerated on AF.
The deletion of your post is entirely justifiable.

Cyrano Jones wrote:All Fox had to say was 'There is no Kieren content in this magazine' - Hell, I even said I'd buy a copy if that was the case.

Greyfox is not obliged to answer to you or anyone else for that matter. Rather than ask the question directly or without prejudice, you essentially wrote that the credibility of his project relied on a particular answer.

Cyrano Jones wrote:There was no personal attack on Grayfox, anywhere, in my post.

Having read all the above, if you still can't see what's wrong with this statement then there is no helping you.

This has nothing to do with your opinion on KH, it is how you conducted yourself with a fellow member of the forum who has done no direct harm to you.

Facts are:
1. You said something which caused offence to an innocent member trying to do something for the community.
2. He rightly complained
3. I made you aware of his complaint and offered you an opportunity to put things right with him
4. You waived your right to do this.
5. I was reluctantly forced to take action.

It is no more complicated than that. It's not so much WHAT you did, it was HOW you went about it and then when faced with the facts you were entirely wrong, still refusing to put things right.

If GreyFox decides not to produce a magazine for the ST range, then the community will draw their own conclusions about who is to blame.

sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sh3-rg » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:29 pm

Dal wrote:Greyfox is not obliged to answer to you or anyone else for that matter. Rather than ask the question directly or without prejudice, you essentially wrote that the credibility of his project relied on a particular answer.

lol, if you begin moderating to this extent you're not just creating a rod for your own back, you're fashioning an 18" un-lubed nobblemaster 4000, pulling your trousers down, bending over and painting the words "stick it to me, big boy" on your back. Good luck with that, you might want to invest in one of these: http://www.salveo.co.uk/putnams-ring-cu ... wgodxgUA_g

OK, that was overly facetious, but you get my point (if not the nobblemaster's :P )

EDIT: Oh, I see you're at it already before the paint is even dry... so be it, you just armed the kids with all the flamer fuel they need. 1UP.

Dal wrote:If GreyFox decides not to produce a magazine for the ST range, then the community will draw their own conclusions about who is to blame.
Last edited by sh3-rg on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:37 pm

Yeah I hear you sh3-rg. Surely you can appreciate how this has blown up into something it didn't need to. There was ample opportunity to rectify this in a more reasonable way - taking it public was not my decision or preferred choice.

sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sh3-rg » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Dal wrote:Yeah I hear you sh3-rg. Surely you can appreciate how this has blown up into something it didn't need to. There was ample opportunity to rectify this in a more reasonable way - taking it public was not my decision or preferred choice.

Can't disagree but also can't help but suspect those kids are partying like it's 1999 in their little cut-and-paste-retro-gaming-news forum's darker reaches.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:53 pm

A forum which I neither frequent nor care about.

I see both sides of the story here - I understand where CJ's views come from and why Greyfox took exception to the way those views were expressed. It really is no more complicated than two guys having a virtual shake of the hand, clearing the air and making things cool again. My Sunday afternoons are better spent with my family (especially when I have to work away from home again for another week).

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:49 pm

When Thorn, SSB and I started low res, we tried our best to do research, to back everything we said with facts and to separate opinion from reporting. When we wrote our opinion, we explained why we felt the way we did. When CiH and Felice joined the team they followed the same pattern and so did all guest authors. And yet we never defined ourselves as journalists, just as some people having fun sharing their passion with others.
I think CJ's question is more than legit. When I see people reviewing games based on their youtube videos (games for a machine they don't own and that at the time of review these games wouldn't even run on an emulator), I have to ask the question. And let's not forget people are spending money on this publication. Shouldn't they know who's writing and if so what to expect?
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Yes. I have said this more than once.

The question is not the problem - I understand CJ's position here.
The way it was asked was the issue - I understand GreyFox's view in this respect.

Please review the entire thread. I think I should lock this now.

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”