R-Type Deluxe Beta Released!

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: R-Type Deluxe Beta Released!

Postby dma » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:53 am

After checking music from the various R-Type games (original and ports), i will handle the music rework as arrangement/remixes based on the original arcade music.
Mainly because this original arcade music don't feature any drumbeat, and i want to add some.
Also many existing ports remixed the original music, each in their own way.

nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby nativ » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:30 am

I would probs grab the Amiga Mod and see if there's any useable samples in that? Unless you can grab the samples direct from the Arcade? If there is a set of those available :D
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:09 am

nativ wrote:I would probs grab the Amiga Mod and see if there's any useable samples in that? Unless you can grab the samples direct from the Arcade? If there is a set of those available :D

The tunes will be plain YM so that the STe DMA can still be used for the sound-effects.

Also arcade music is full synth, no samples.
Same for Amiga, in-game music is soft-synth based (very close to original arcade music, no drumbeat as well).

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:26 am

By the way Bod, i saw the various bosses in the game got different mechanics and sprites/scenery sizes/movements, no problem with that?
For example there's one where the ship moves around a large battleship (but surely this can be handled by STe hardware scroll).

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bod/STAX » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:36 pm

After checking music from the various R-Type games (original and ports), i will handle the music rework as arrangement/remixes based on the original arcade music.
Mainly because this original arcade music don't feature any drumbeat, and i want to add some.
Also many existing ports remixed the original music, each in their own way.

Digi-drums perhaps?

Can't wait to hear the final results. Please remember I need to use timer b though.

By the way Bod, i saw the various bosses in the game got different mechanics and sprites/scenery sizes/movements, no problem with that?
For example there's one where the ship moves around a large battleship (but surely this can be handled by STe hardware scroll).

Scenery sizes are no problem infact if you look at the level in the beta most tiles are on a width of 64 pixels but some are not and everything still works fine (the bit where scenery starts to appear above you). The scenery tiles used are redraw versions of the ones from the original ST conversion. Sprite sizes for the bosses are no problem the main parts of the boss are made of level tiles I just have to include a pixel detect collision routine for that and the weak point is just treated as an enemy wave with 1 sprite and a flag to check that that is the sprite to destroy to complete the level. The tale of the first boss is will be treated as another enemy wave that is just indestructible. Movements are basically different sin-curves with some 'intelligent' sprite code for the sprites that react to your position or those walking type baddies. Different size sprites - no problem at all, that code is already included.

The big ship was the first boss I really thought about before starting this project. Basically the movement of the ship will be a big table that is read in using the hardware scrolling. All the bits that explode and fall off the ship will be handled by blitter/software sprites. I haven't written this code yet as I haven't got to that part of the game but I can't forsee a problem.

Infact the bit of code that is kinda bugging me is the rebound laser for the players ship. The drawing isn't a problem it's just trying to come up with a fast collision detection routine for it.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Bod.
So let it be written, So let it be done. I'm sent here by the chosen one.

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Indeed i see you thought about everything, great.

bod/STAX wrote:Digi-drums perhaps?

I plan no use of digi-stuff.
CPU should be used sparely with all the screen action, shouldn't it?

sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sh3-rg » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:06 pm

I remember myself and cj talking to you about this back when you used to visit our irc channel and planned to join reboot :D Not had a chance to check it out yet but good to see this preview released.

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bod/STAX » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:05 pm

I plan no use of digi-stuff.
CPU should be used sparely with all the screen action, shouldn't it?

Well, yes really.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:58 pm

bod/STAX wrote:Infact the bit of code that is kinda bugging me is the rebound laser for the players ship. The drawing isn't a problem it's just trying to come up with a fast collision detection routine for it.

IIRC most of that stuff on the arcade versions of RType were based on 8x8 tilemaps - including the bouncy lasers, because the HW could only draw tiles, or objects made from tiles (the lasers worked by removing an 8x8 tile from one end and adding one at the other end, until it contacted a 'solid' map tile index). So the collision doesn't need to be better than 8x8 tilemap resolution as that's as accurate as the bouncy lasers could be... the maps were probably made to take this into account too.

I'm pretty sure RT II worked this way when I looked at the display stuff - I'm assuming the original did the same but you should probably check it before committing to a method.

Great progress with the beta release - it plays well!

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bod/STAX » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:34 pm

IIRC most of that stuff on the arcade versions of RType were based on 8x8 tilemaps - including the bouncy lasers, because the HW could only draw tiles, or objects made from tiles (the lasers worked by removing an 8x8 tile from one end and adding one at the other end, until it contacted a 'solid' map tile index). So the collision doesn't need to be better than 8x8 tilemap resolution as that's as accurate as the bouncy lasers could be... the maps were probably made to take this into account too.

That's about the best way I could come up with to be honest. :)

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:32 am

By the way, concerning the use of the real Amiga TFMX tune discussed on the DHS board, couldn't the replay posted in this other post here be used for that?
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=9621&start=50#p222353

Spectone
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Spectone » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:51 am

When I tried this demo in Hatari (STE, TOS 1.06) and the memory was set to 2MB then it would bring up the requirements text and would not load any further however if the memory was set to 1MB or 4MB then it would load properly. And if the memory is set to 1MB you get a graphics glitch I assume similar to the one you get in Steem.

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bod/STAX » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:57 pm

I kno about these problems.

I only code on real hardware so can't test different machines/TOS and it's a real pain to alter a piece of code and then transfer it to PC to test and find out it still doesn't work.

The only emulator I use for STE is steem. So if things don't work properly in Hatari or Saint I really can't help ATM.

The next release will have these problems fixed (I hope)

Spectone
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Spectone » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:50 am

I don't really think the 2MB bug is a problem in Hatari as you can easily change the memory size in the emulator. I would be worried if it did that on a real machine with 2MB. I only have a 1MB ST so I can't test it.

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bod/STAX » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:23 pm

All I can say to people running this on emulators is to use steem with the recommended tos and memory config. or use real correct hardware.

If this is sounding a big harsh then I'm sorry but ATM I need to spend time on the internal game stuff rather than trying to tell you how to make it run on a specific emulator.

OTOH if someone can upload a quick video to youtube then be my guest. Saint won't run the beta properly and I dont have the various software bits 'n' pieces to do a video-grab from steem

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby EvilFranky » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:55 pm

Ran fine for me in Hatari 1.6.2.

STE
TOS 1.62 UK
4MB RAM

It would not work with only 1MB for some reason.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 pm

After being predisposed for a large chunk of 2012 I was positively thrilled to see the preview of R-Type DX posted in the boards of DHS. It was a great way to start the new year.

I'm glad to report that I did not find any additional bugs when running it on my machine (MSTE).

As always, keep up the great work bod!
Member of the Atari Legend team

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:53 pm

I just try it on falcon:

on stock falcon it wont run ("r-type deluxe requires an 8mhz ste with 1mb+ ram and color monitor...." message)

with Backwards v.3 will show screen "BOOTING THE SYSTEM" and will reading from disk, but after few seconds, just black screen.
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06 am

I'm really impressed with the amount of work and quality put on this game. It's going to even more awesome when it's finished. Many thanks for the hard work :cheers:
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:27 pm

bod/STAX wrote:All I can say to people running this on emulators is to use steem with the recommended tos and memory config. or use real correct hardware.

If this is sounding a big harsh then I'm sorry but ATM I need to spend time on the internal game stuff rather than trying to tell you how to make it run on a specific emulator.

Hatari's HW emulation should nowadays be more accurate than STeem's, even for STE emulation (not just ST, TT & Falcon). If your program has a problem with latest Hatari release, it's very likely to to have the same problem also on real HW with the same configuration.

In an emulator it's much easier to test whether game works with PAL, NTSC, different TOS versions, different amounts of memory etc.

One should bear in mind that Hatari defaults to emulating ST, while STeem emulates STE. One needs to ask Hatari to emulate STE, to make them comparable.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:32 am

Nothing is better for testings than Steem Debugger. Fact that no special ST mode in Steem is not big problem. And you can go on Steven Seagal build if want Debugger with ST mode.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bod/STAX » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:04 pm

I've finally got it working in steem debugger today however I can't get the game to crash.

Believe me there's nobody more than me that wants to fix this bug. What I do know from when I kept getting a crash on my ST was it's something to do either with the fire button routine, or something to do with bullet/laser generating code.

BTW The aliens and explosions in that beta release were actually from the original R-Type as I hadn't got the Unseen Menace one's converted to my ST. Today I put in the proper one's done by Unseen Menace and it certainly improves things visually.

Askja
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Askja » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:59 am

Hi!

I wanted to see that but when I started my ST with the disk inside, only red screen and nothing else happened :?
520STE (with 4mo RAM)
Greg. aka Pandafox from HMD aka Imperator from The Megabusters aka Askja from Toons :cheers:
Now https://www.behance.net/ufactory :twisted:

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:47 pm

I got a red screen the first time I launched the game (520 STE 2MB or 1MB?), just after having taken control of the ship and fired my first shot.
Reset, second test, I waited before to shoot (5 or 10 seconds) and after that, no problem, I finished the preview :)
I don't know if it was luck or not, if there was a link.

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”