Building PeSTs, JeSTs, EPROMs, VGA SCART leads THIS WEEK!!

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Building PeSTs, JeSTs, EPROMs, VGA SCART leads THIS WEEK!!

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Already emailed you but here a summary:

1 ST-SCART -> length of 4 to 6 feets
    1 ST-DB15 Female (for mono pin 4 to GND 13) + 3.5mm st jack -> length 6 inches
    1 JeST controller
    1 DUAL TOS
About dual TOS is there way to adapt to different EPROM? I would like to use STD Atari ROM 1.62 + 2.06 27C1001 EPROM ?
Thanks
Jean

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:37 am

Aly I have sent you an email with more accurate order details.

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:10 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Well, I would like the following please
* ST to SCART quantity = 1
* ST to VGA MALE + 3.5mm STEREO JACK quantity = 1
* PeST CABLE quantity = 1
* JeST CABLE quantity = 1 see note added below at the bottom
* JeST CONTROLLER quantity = 1 see note added below at the bottom
* 6 CHIP TOS - STFM VERSIONS < 1.6 - 28 PIN EPROMS quantity = 1 set

Now I take it that when you say "PeST CABLE" you mean one of your microcontroller's mounted on a PCB complete with a cable?
Same for the JeST CABLE?
And when you say JeST CONTROLLER, I take it you mean the actual hand held game controller?
For the "6 CHIP TOS - STFM VERSIONS < 1.6 - 28 PIN EPROMS" if there is not a preset TOS that you use, please program them with the most stable version that is safe with HDD devices as I wish to use it with one of Jookie & MiKRO's excellent UltraSatan's (it will be replacing a 1.02 TOS).

Thanks for helping us fellow Atarians' :cheers:

Edit:-
NOTE
If the JeST CONTROLLER includes your neat microcontroller circuit then I would not need a JeST CABLE. Or if it is easier for you, supply a JeST CABLE with an unmodified CONTROLLER.

Thanks, Mark :cheers:

Cable Lengths
For the video cables (ST to SCART, ST to VGA MALE + 3.5mm STEREO JACK) lengths of 1M for both please (including the audio section of the ST to VGA MALE + 3.5mm STEREO JACK lead).
For the PeST CABLE and JeST CABLE; cables that are at least 400mm long would be nice (but see note above regarding the JeST CABLE).
Falcon, Atari 520ST, 520STFM, 1040STE, Mega, TT and more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's).
Visit the Atari-Forum Wiki. Lots of technical info at DrCoolZic Atari ST Site :D

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Building PeSTs, JeSTs, EPROMs, VGA SCART leads THIS WEEK

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:45 pm

Anything happening ?

techie_alison
Administrator
Administrator

Postby techie_alison » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:33 pm

Not right now. :( I've moved to London. Looking for a new job. :(

The site going down couldn't have been at a worse time. I was also targetted (and still am) with LOADS of spam. About 1000-messages per day.
If I don't answer or appear to have forgotton then email again, I'm scatty! :)

http://www.logicsays.com/ = Updated Site
http://www.logicsays.com/index1 = Older Site (with more Atari)

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:44 pm

Be careful in London. Be especially wary of scamps who break out into song at the drop of a top hat.

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:45 pm

techie_alison wrote:Not right now. :( I've moved to London. Looking for a new job. :(

Good luck finding a new job.
My bother-in-law is still hunting for a new job (he used to have a contract with a mobile phone company doing IT work) and has not had much success so far.

The site going down couldn't have been at a worse time. I was also targetted (and still am) with LOADS of spam. About 1000-messages per day.

That's a lot of spam.

No panic on my bits. Just keep us updated when you can.
Falcon, Atari 520ST, 520STFM, 1040STE, Mega, TT and more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's).
Visit the Atari-Forum Wiki. Lots of technical info at DrCoolZic Atari ST Site :D

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:23 pm

Yep, no rush here with my order either as I have plenty on my plate to deal with, i.e. getting Cubase Audio working fully on my Falcon 030. Also I am about to convert hundreds, maybe thousands of ZX Spectrum TAP/TZX game tape images to mp3, so I can fast load them on a DVD player into my Speccy+ 128K and Speccy 48K (rubber keys). I'm also hunting around for suitable enclosures for a SCSI hard drive and writer.

Ahhh.....retro work never ends I tell thee! :lol:

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:20 am

Shredder11 wrote:Also I am about to convert hundreds, maybe thousands of ZX Spectrum TAP/TZX game tape images to mp3, so I can fast load them on a DVD player into my Speccy+ 128K and Speccy 48K (rubber keys).

Wouldn't you be better off getting a DivIDE and dumping that lot onto a single SD/Compact Flash card?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:21 am

Good luck Alison. Finding a job has obviously priority over what we are doing here :wink:

I managed to get a mono and a SCART cable and therefore no hurry for me. As Shredder said plenty of other things to do ....

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:54 pm

Shredder11 wrote: Also I am about to convert hundreds, maybe thousands of ZX Spectrum TAP/TZX game tape images to mp3, so I can fast load them on a DVD player into my Speccy+ 128K and Speccy 48K (rubber keys). I'm also hunting around for suitable enclosures for a SCSI hard drive and writer.

So it works then using MP3 for Spectrum files? I had thought of using Audacity. But your post suggests that the thingy-me-jig inside the Spectrum that reads the tones is constrained by cassette tape mechanicals and can could cope with faster speeds.

All I need to now is knock up some code to decipher the tones for the PC..........

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:38 pm

Mug UK wrote:
Shredder11 wrote:Also I am about to convert hundreds, maybe thousands of ZX Spectrum TAP/TZX game tape images to mp3, so I can fast load them on a DVD player into my Speccy+ 128K and Speccy 48K (rubber keys).

Wouldn't you be better off getting a DivIDE and dumping that lot onto a single SD/Compact Flash card?

I have considered it yes but the price is steep and it does far more than I need. I only want to load games and that can be done via the method I mentioned. Anyway....woe is me right now...........I have just received a nice new regulated 5A PSU with adjustable voltages and polarity from Ebay. The bad news is that I forgot about the polarity of Spectrums being minus and not the usual plus that nearly everything has these days. The even worse news is that it was my nice new, long wanted Spectrum+ 128K heatsink model that I have just killed stone dead. If it had been my easily replaceable 48K rubber model I could have taken that, but....I have only had my 128K model a few weeks and now it is dead :cry:

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:07 pm

No big rush but just out of curiosity, are the dual TOS EPROMs with switch ready yet? I sent my complete order via email back in February. 8)

Mega4PAK
Atari nerd
Atari nerd
Location: On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere

Postby Mega4PAK » Sun May 02, 2010 8:01 am

Hopefully the job hunt has been successful...

I would be interested in a few items too, would really like to get my STs hooked up in a KVM style setup and have a spare Belkin one sat it a corner gathering dust. If you are still game for making some VGA cables and a PeST/JeST then I would be very interested! :D

:cheers:
Mad about Atari, Palm/Clie, PCs | Atari Mega ST4 | PAK68/3 with FRAK 4/16MB

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun May 02, 2010 11:06 am

Mega4PAK wrote:Hopefully the job hunt has been successful...

Over here in the far east, the need for IT people just when mushroomed.
Hope it's the same over in UK, and this means high salaries & wages. :mrgreen: :thumbs:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun May 02, 2010 11:09 am

Mega4PAK wrote:I would be interested in a few items too, would really like to get my STs hooked up in a KVM style setup and have a spare Belkin one sat it a corner gathering dust. If you are still game for making some VGA cables and a PeST/JeST then I would be very interested! :D

I havea KVM for my single monitor sharing between the PC and the Atari. Best with my TT, as it has a video card so that takes up 2 of 4 ports.
When my CTPCI/radeon setup kicks in, there just not enough ports left. :(
The keyboard is not shared, as I do not use an Eiffel but the original Atari keyboard :angel:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

Mega4PAK
Atari nerd
Atari nerd
Location: On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere

Postby Mega4PAK » Sun May 02, 2010 1:02 pm

wongck wrote:I havea KVM for my single monitor sharing between the PC and the Atari. Best with my TT, as it has a video card so that takes up 2 of 4 ports. When my CTPCI/radeon setup kicks in, there just not enough ports left. :(

It sounds like an 8-port would be your next purchase! I got an 8-port for my PC stuff, works great now I junked the dodgy SoHo one that flatly refused to accept a firmware update. :(

Guess the greedy TT needs one for startup until display drivers get loaded for whatever fancy card you have!

wongck wrote:The keyboard is not shared, as I do not use an Eiffel but the original Atari keyboard :angel:

I did wonder after posting whether a video switch would be more sensible and just plug in a keyboard to the system to use. Would be good to get them hooked up together but will need some more investigations I reckon :?

:cheers:
Mad about Atari, Palm/Clie, PCs | Atari Mega ST4 | PAK68/3 with FRAK 4/16MB

AtariMega125
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby AtariMega125 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:15 pm

wongck wrote:
I havea KVM for my single monitor sharing between the PC and the Atari. Best with my TT, as it has a video card so that takes up 2 of 4 ports.
When my CTPCI/radeon setup kicks in, there just not enough ports left. :(
The keyboard is not shared, as I do not use an Eiffel but the original Atari keyboard :angel:

I just finished setting up a primitive KVM setup for my Mega 4 and Mega STE. 1 15pin vga switchbox for the monitor connected to 2 homemade Atari Mono to VGA adapters and 1 RJ11 switchbox for the keyboard. Saves me a lot of space in my music studio which is really small and filled with gear. And ST mono is really great on a modern LCD monitor.

If I wanted to share the monitor with a PC and use a something like a Belkin KVM, the keyboard would be problematic. The switchboxes are passive and don't care whats connected to them but the newer KVM units aren't passive and expect certain types of signals. I tried a Belkin KVM box with a 2 Amiga setup and the keyboard would't work. It expected a PC keyboard and wouldn't work with anything else. Since the Atari sts use a non standard keyboard as well, a passive switchbox would probably be a good bet. That's what I ended up using with the Amigas: A passive vga/keyboard/mouse switchbox with 9 pin db connectors for the mouse--this switchbox is a relic from the days when PCs used serial mice--and a 5 pin Din connector for the keyboard and a standard 15 pin connector for the monitor.
A Mega 4 and a Mega 4 STE. Used primarily to run Clab Notator and a few other MIDI utilities.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun May 02, 2010 3:54 pm

Mega4PAK wrote:
wongck wrote:I havea KVM for my single monitor sharing between the PC and the Atari. Best with my TT, as it has a video card so that takes up 2 of 4 ports. When my CTPCI/radeon setup kicks in, there just not enough ports left. :(

It sounds like an 8-port would be your next purchase! I got an 8-port for my PC stuff, works great now I junked the dodgy SoHo one that flatly refused to accept a firmware update. :(

I got mine for free. My company server control room had a upgrade and they junked around 8 of these. I took one. :angel:
I found out later that i could daisy chain them. Should have taken 2 or 3 :lol:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun May 02, 2010 3:58 pm

AtariMega125 wrote:If I wanted to share the monitor with a PC and use a something like a Belkin KVM, the keyboard would be problematic. The switchboxes are passive and don't care whats connected to them but the newer KVM units aren't passive and expect certain types of signals.

The new ones are USB.
The one I have must be 10 years old by now. It still uses the PS/2 type socket. I guess it may be passive because of the age.
Actually I connected the keyboard to it as I wanted to do keyboard shortcut to change the input.
Needless to say that it did not work, may be it's because there is only 1 keyboard output connected.
So I use the button at the front panel to change the monitor input.

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Sun May 02, 2010 4:56 pm

I have a PS/2 type but my friend has a USB type and says it causes him a few problems.

AtariMega125
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby AtariMega125 » Sun May 02, 2010 7:19 pm

The switchboxes I'm using are truly passive: No active electronics, just different connectors attached to a big rotary switch on the inside. The KVM module that I refered to was a Belkin model that was surplus from a server setup with connections for up to 4 computers. It had both 5 pin and PS/2 connectors for the keyboard and both 9pin serial mouse connectors and PS/2 mouse connectors. It ran off a 9 volt power supply. I ended up giving it away. The only desktop computers I use with detachable keyboards and mice are my Atari Megas and Amigas and it wasn't compatible with either. In the world of modern computing, I only use laptops. :) :)
A Mega 4 and a Mega 4 STE. Used primarily to run Clab Notator and a few other MIDI utilities.

techie_alison
Administrator
Administrator

Postby techie_alison » Mon May 03, 2010 8:21 am

Four switchable ROM sets just made. :-)

PM me for payment and address etc. etc.

These are UK 1.62 / 2.06.

Any US buyers, I have a few more chips left to do some US sets. :)

Everything else I'll get round to in the coming weeks. It's just been one mad rush as all of my kit is packed away and back home.

(need to fund a new motorbike for London).
If I don't answer or appear to have forgotton then email again, I'm scatty! :)

http://www.logicsays.com/ = Updated Site
http://www.logicsays.com/index1 = Older Site (with more Atari)

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Mon May 03, 2010 2:40 pm

Not sure that this is the right thread for switch box discussions.
Anyway, I use a passive one which uses a rotary switch. It has 15 pin VGA D type connectors, 9 pin D connectors and 5 pin DIN connectors.
I selected this one because at the time I wanted to route video signals via both the 15 pin VGA type connectors and the 9 pin D connectors (having some video leads that had the 9 pin connector).
It works fine, the only problem being that some modern PC video cards need to "sense" a display when the computer is started up, so I have to remember to switch back to the PC before booting it or it does not generate a display. This can be a right pain at times! :roll:

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:09 pm

Hey what motorbike are you hoping to get Aly?

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”