New book release: Beyond The Borders [The Atari ST and The Creative People vol.2]

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

nada-san
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

New book release: Beyond The Borders [The Atari ST and The Creative People vol.2]

Postby nada-san » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:04 am

Hello everyone,
finally it’s done. I recently released the 2nd volume of the creative Atari ST book series. The sequel to Breakin’ The Borders. This time it’s going from 1991–1993 (ending at the beginning of 1994). It has a deeper focus on the decline of Atari Corp. and the struggle of Thalion Software as well as the rise of Marc Rosocha’s Eclipse. It also concentrates on the development of the French scene and their amazing demos and software products of that time.

Now available at the Microzeit store: https://www.microzeit.com/

If you don’t know the series by now, the new bundles are for you (savings up to 25%).

Have a good read,
Marco Breddin / Microzeit
https://www.microzeit.com/
The Atari ST and the Creative People

prog99
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: New book release: Beyond The Borders [The Atari ST and The Creative People vol.2]

Postby prog99 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:09 am

Any plans for an ebook release? Not got space for more coffee table books.

Cheers, Mike
All my real skills are undervalued

nada-san
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: New book release: Beyond The Borders [The Atari ST and The Creative People vol.2]

Postby nada-san » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:25 am

Hi Mike,
the e-book will be released via Amazon in the next few weeks. I will write a post when ready.

Regards,
Marco

theimann
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby theimann » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi Marco, just received mine. I love both books, great concept, material and art design. Please keep up with this.

I had hoped that the writing was better this time, and I got to say I am a bit disappointed that it didn't improve over the first book. That being said, every Atari (ST) fan should own these books.

nada-san
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby nada-san » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:24 am

theimann wrote:Hi Marco, just received mine. I love both books, great concept, material and art design. Please keep up with this.

I had hoped that the writing was better this time, and I got to say I am a bit disappointed that it didn't improve over the first book. That being said, every Atari (ST) fan should own these books.

Well, this time I had a native English proof-reader for the story. So it can’t be nonsense.

I also asked a native US-English speaker to translate a chapter, and it came out almost the same. Though a professional translator would take a lot of costs, indeed around 6000 Euros for the book. For that I would need a much higher crowdfunding.

Anyways, :cheers:

Regards,
Marco / Microzeit

mzry
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mzry » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:09 am

Looking forward to receiving mine, I really love the beautiful artwork and stories that went in to the first book, I am sure this one will be just as brilliant.
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

EddyDeegan
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby EddyDeegan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:18 am

My copy arrived yesterday, and I absolutely love it. The first was amazing too. Great work, and thank you, it's a wonderful product packed with info, and the liberal use of high quality colour pictures is exceptional.

Although I understand the comment about the writing style, as a native English speaker it doesn't bother me at all (in fact quite the opposite). There's something about it that conveys the sense of wonder so many of us associated with the hardware and that time in history. I'd go so far as to say that using formal, absolutely correct English would detract from the book, though that might just be me. I like it just the way it is.

I agree, every ST fan, past and present, should have these books.

I was also very happy (and had a touch of pride, truth be known) to see my name included in the backers list on pages 416-417 - I'd forgotten I'd done that!!!! ;)

To anyone on the fence about whether to order a physical copy or not, I'd definitely go for the physical copies of both books. They are well made, have a pleasing solidity and there's a real 'pleasure of ownership' feeling associated with both of them.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:27 am

Ordered mine, awaiting (im)patiently. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

theimann
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby theimann » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:58 am

+1 to getting the physical copy.

Yeah maybe my statement on the writing style was a bit too harsh. I agree that the language conveys the sense of wonder quite well. It's just that sometimes I have to re-read the sentences for a few times to grasp the meaning, but whenever I get tired of reading I can just enjoy the pictures or run a demo on my Atari.

krupkaj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby krupkaj » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am

I have got it last week and it is really great, thank you

AtariFan
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariFan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:12 pm

A comment about both volumes by Richard Karsmakers.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:40 pm

Just got mine in today! Looking forward to reading it, once
I get the time.

Hmm...the grass isn't that big...the oil in the car could go a couple
more hundred miles... :)

nada-san
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby nada-san » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:06 am

DarkLord wrote:Just got mine in today! Looking forward to reading it, once
I get the time.

Let the grass grow! Really? You ordered the book and 3 days later you got it? In the US? Usually takes up to 12 days. :shrug:

Regards,
Marco / Microzeit

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:13 am

I love the style. It makes it less of a "boring" style documentary and more of a "guys guys - did you know - this is what happened and then this and oh this as well and it's sooooo cool!".

(please read in Californian voice for extra awesomeness)

nada-san
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby nada-san » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:19 pm

For everyone who wants to smell his e-book reader instead of paper I recently released the Amazon Kindle version. :D

Two languages available: English and German (original). You can read through with Kindle Unlimited. Here you go:
https://www.amazon.de/Marco-A.-Breddin/e/B0772MV6R4/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

This is my authors central at Amazon.de.

Of course, these e-books are not containing any layout, captions, pictures, photos, features or interviews. Moreover they are meant to be a teaser or a mobile extension to the physical book. Also, if you are unsure about the content, you can just read through. For the German speaking people this is the only possibility to get the original language version and also a good companion to the English translation.

So, have a good one! :cheers:

Marco / Microzeit

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:13 pm

nada-san wrote:
DarkLord wrote:Just got mine in today! Looking forward to reading it, once
I get the time.

Let the grass grow! Really? You ordered the book and 3 days later you got it? In the US? Usually takes up to 12 days. :shrug:

Regards,
Marco / Microzeit

I actually got two - I'm thinking one might have been earlier from the kickstarter segment?

nada-san
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby nada-san » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:39 am

DarkLord wrote:I actually got two - I'm thinking one might have been earlier from the kickstarter segment?

No problem, just keep it or resale it. Whatsoever.

:cheers:

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:31 pm

nada-san wrote:
DarkLord wrote:I actually got two - I'm thinking one might have been earlier from the kickstarter segment?

No problem, just keep it or resale it. Whatsoever.

:cheers:

Well, I'm pretty sure I actually paid for both - I just forgot that I had a standing order in place when
I ordered the second one.

Not a problem though - I am giving it away as a monthly prize (this month in fact) at The DarkForce
BBS! :)

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”