Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Atari TT030 and system V

Postby leech » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:52 am

Nice! Anyone run Debian m68k on a TT?
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby tenox » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:41 am

Nope but I think it's a big omission. I will give it a spin. I think the latest media is here: https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdima ... 8k/iso-cd/

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:16 am

Sweet, let me know how it runs. Seems to me to be the way to keep a system up to date the most.

I think at some point I had thrown around the idea about seeing if people wanted to get some brains together and build out a MiNT/Debian distribution. They already have it so you can swap out the Linux kernel with BSD. :)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby tenox » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:37 am

Actually since Debian/m68k is dead I think the most up to date platform is NetBSD.

Mint/Debian is definitely a cool idea!

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:35 am

tenox wrote:Actually since Debian/m68k is dead I think the most up to date platform is NetBSD.

Debian/m68k is not dead, they're still building packages:

https://buildd.debian.org/stats/graph-p ... ek-big.png

https://buildd.debian.org/stats/graph2-ports-big.png

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Not only packages, but also kernels. Some time ago i tested it using ARAnyM, and it still worked. IIRC, at that time it was a debian wheezy system running kernel 3.16.

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:59 pm

Galvez wrote:
tenox wrote:Actually since Debian/m68k is dead I think the most up to date platform is NetBSD.

Debian/m68k is not dead, they're still building packages:

https://buildd.debian.org/stats/graph-p ... ek-big.png

https://buildd.debian.org/stats/graph2-ports-big.png

Yeah, so from my understanding, m68k Debian is what is considered an 'unmaintained port' which is to say that the build systems are all very much still there, it's just not 100% updated all the time.

There was a time that gcc was completely broken for compiling m68k, but I believe that was fixed a while back. (might have been the kernel that wouldn't compile).

But yeah I think MiNT/Debian would be awesome!

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:08 pm

When I last tried Debian under TT emulation, I noticed that Linux and all the somewhat bloated libs & base system background processes take quite a lot of memory. Just starting the system with Bash shell takes almost all of the 14MB of ST-RAM. So, you're definitely going to need FastRAM to do anything useful with it.

Login will also take ages, unless one switches PAM encryption from SHA to something more reasonable like MD5, which works at OKish speed without HW acceleration (i.e. special encryption instructions available on Intel and other modern processors).

tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby tenox » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:07 am

Eero Tamminen wrote:When I last tried Debian under TT emulation, I noticed that Linux.

Which emulator does TT with MMU?

susher
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby susher » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:57 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:
mfro wrote:I wasn't talking about running Firefox on the TT

That's hardly possible ;) Not only because of the speed, but also because a lot of the required libraries (like gtk) are missing.

Also, the memory usage of Firefox is *MASSIVE*. On a Linux box it uses around a gigabyte of virtual memory after just starting up and not accessing a web page!

Compiling modern GTK libraries on vanilla SVr4 is pretty well impossible too as they've become too Linux-centric. The most recent require systemd compatible sub-systems and dbus. They don't compile on Sun/Oracle Solaris 10, which is a more modern SVr4 derivative.

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:39 pm

susher wrote:
ThorstenOtto wrote:
mfro wrote:I wasn't talking about running Firefox on the TT

That's hardly possible ;) Not only because of the speed, but also because a lot of the required libraries (like gtk) are missing.

Also, the memory usage of Firefox is *MASSIVE*. On a Linux box it uses around a gigabyte of virtual memory after just starting up and not accessing a web page!

Compiling modern GTK libraries on vanilla SVr4 is pretty well impossible too as they've become too Linux-centric. The most recent require systemd compatible sub-systems and dbus. They don't compile on Sun/Oracle Solaris 10, which is a more modern SVr4 derivative.

Really? Are you sure you are not confusing that with the Gnome libraries? You can still compile them on BSD.

Pretty sure Firefox taking a gig of ram is 1) extensions, two mostly shared memory. Memory on a Linux system is weird to say the least.

Anyhow, I recall wh re n I first used Linux it was with a 128MB Pentium 2, and even then it swapped like crazy occasionally. Even MiNT with full unux userland is a much smaller memory footprint. I tend to think some of this is due to massive code bloat that older systems just don't have. There is a reason we don't see Java for m68k.

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:19 am

On Linux, exactly measuring a single process' memory usage is anything but simple. ps ax gives misleading information in that it reports reserved (mapped) pages for a process and not really *used* memory; if a process uses shared libraries and/or multiple threads (both applies to Firefox), shared pages will be reported multiple times.

ps output basically reports reserved pages although they might never be written (remember, Linux is copy-on-write) - output is more like "potential" memory usage or "blocked address space".

There are tools available that report real memory usage more accurate. ps_mem.py (available on github) reports something like 300 MB for a running Firefox with 6 tabs open (which is huge as well, but far from 1GB).

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:08 am

Debian on TT would be very cool. More useful than a historical version of Unix (although still cool)
Falcon ct63e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:44 pm

mzry wrote:Debian on TT would be very cool. More useful than a historical version of Unix (although still cool)

Way too slow. It's even slow on Aranym which is magnitudes faster than a TT.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:31 pm

mfro wrote:It's even slow on Aranym which is magnitudes faster than a TT.

I'm not sure whether Aranym is really magnitudes faster in this case. Remember that, unlike eg. qemu, Aranym also emulates the MMU, and all kernel code. MMU emulation slows down Aranym quite a lot, and JIT can't be used with MMU either.

My first experiences with linux was actually on a TT. Well, quite old version, something like 1.2 or so, and at that time 16 MB were more than enough.

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:41 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:My first experiences with linux was actually on a TT. Well, quite old version, something like 1.2 or so, and at that time 16 MB were more than enough.

I had Debian 2.0 (1995, 2.0.34 kernel) running on my TT when they were still supporting m68k officially (actually, 2.0/hamm was the first version that had official support for Atari TT and Falcon) and that already felt (somewhat) slower than ASV. It had ET4000 support, however (which was nice) but crashed pretty regularly.

Compared to today's distributions, it was just tiny. Forget about running more current (4.x) kernels.

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:31 pm

I played with Debian in my CT60 Falcon 5 years ago. I installed Debian 7 (Wheezy) sid. The kernel version was 3.7. At 66 Mhz it took around 5 minutes to get to the login screen, installing packages was also quite slow. I think to remember that one of the problems was that the kernel should be loaded in ST-RAM to work.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:38 pm

Galvez wrote: I think to remember that one of the problems was that the kernel should be loaded in ST-RAM to work.

I don't know how large a m68k kernel would be, but on a pc the bz2 compressed kernel is ~8MB. It would be impossible to load&decompress it in ST-RAM.

Edit: found some 4.0.0 kernel, which is ~1.7MB. That would fit, but you also have to load the initrd.

The problem here is that up-to-date packages often require an up-to-date glibc, and that will usually only run on an up-to-date kernel, since it does not always has fallbacks for non-existing system calls.

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:30 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:
Galvez wrote: I think to remember that one of the problems was that the kernel should be loaded in ST-RAM to work.

I don't know how large a m68k kernel would be, but on a pc the bz2 compressed kernel is ~8MB. It would be impossible to load&decompress it in ST-RAM.

Edit: found some 4.0.0 kernel, which is ~1.7MB. That would fit, but you also have to load the initrd.

The kernel was smaller than 4 MB. I searched in the emails from that time and I found this:
Note that the Debian kernel does not use initrd to boot (to the
finally installed system), especially as those tools are built
with klibc, which is currently still broken on m68k, and thus
contains everything needed to get into an ext3fs / from disc

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:33 pm

Actually I have seen a fairly recent Debian incl. X.org and XFCE running on an Atari Falcon 060 + SuperVidel quite recently. It wasn't *super slow*, just slow.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:32 pm

Galvez wrote:Note that the Debian kernel does not use initrd to boot (to the
finally installed system)

The one that i used (3.16), *uses* initrd. Its about 4.5MB. But it only boots into console mode.

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:45 pm

I suggest to make a new tread our split this tread.
One thread for 'Atari TT030 and Linux/Debian, etc ...' and an other or this one for 'system V'.

alexb
Atari User
Atari User

Postby alexb » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:49 pm

mfro wrote:
leech wrote:... The sad thing is that Firefox itself is a little heavy, but just browsing simple pages isn't too bad, it's the ones that are heavily written in java script and flash that just make everything chug...

I wasn't talking about running Firefox on the TT, but redirect its display to it using the X-Windows protocol. That's rather slow already...

Even if you would be able to build a recent-ish version of X11 for ASV, you wouldn't be able to use it for a Firefox session: FF doesn't run on monochrome displays, doesn't matter if they're remote or not. In fact, a lot of "modern" X11 software has a really bad time dealing with monochrome displays.

Possibly something like VNC might work, if you manage to build a VNC client for ASV :wink: (the client will try it's best at mapping to the client colour space when the Xvnc server runs at a different depth)

alexb
Atari User
Atari User

Postby alexb » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:19 pm

tenox wrote:Another unsolved mystery so far is relinking the kernel. I was not able to do it to date.

My notes mention to "touch /stand/system to rebuild unix on the next reboot", but I don't remember if that worked on both images or not.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:38 pm

Regarding MMU support in emulators...

Aranym emulates 040 and its (simpler) MMU.

While latest Hatari can emulate those, it can emulate also 030, its MMU and instruction & data cache.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”