Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

bear
Atari freak
Atari freak

Apex Media

Postby bear » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Hi!

I won the Apex Media package on Ebay and managed to install the program, despite the odd process to do this. Anyway, I have a annoying trouble, and that is the program doesn't change to RGB when I have such a monitor connected! It seems to be locked to VGA...? I can't find anything about this in the manual, so please help!

earx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby earx » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:26 am

you can perhaps try to rename the config file? i had the same problem some time ago.

bear
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby bear » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:16 pm

Thank you so much for answering! :) I looked through all folders in Apex and couldn't find any config file. What should it be called?

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:06 pm

APEX.CFG on the APEXSYS folder
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

bear
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby bear » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:00 pm

[ProToS] wrote:APEX.CFG on the APEXSYS folder

I can not find it there. How is it created? By the way I don't understand how it's possible Apex doesn't recognize VGA or RGB by itself. The graphics settings available doesn't mention anything about that, just resolutions, color depth and PAL/NTSC.

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:41 pm

put this one on the APEXSYS folder, perhaps it resolve your problem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

bear
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby bear » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:03 pm

[ProToS] wrote:put this one on the APEXSYS folder, perhaps it resolve your problem

Thank you for uploading the cfg, I tested it, but my monitor still goes berzerk! ...Wonder what's left to try?

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Apex Media

Postby dml » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:08 am

This is an old thread, but the problem was recently brought to my attention and I have started looking into it.

Apex should detect the monitor type on RGB, and had been tested for this at the time - but there may be another factor involved. e.g. TOS-specific or NVRam related. A screenshot from an affected machine suggests that overscan is somehow involved as the video linewidth was wrong and it looked like data is visible in the borders. It's also notable that the XBios overscan flag is RGB-only.

In any case it's clearly a video configuration bug in Apex so I'll try to find & deal with it. If anyone has run into this and has a workaround however I'll be glad to know more as it could save some time.

Omikronman
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Omikronman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:38 pm

I had also the original Apex Media package and never had any issues with RGB or VGA using. I suggest you to avoid booting third party OS extensions before starting Apex Media.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:26 pm

Omikronman wrote:I suggest you to avoid booting...

:)
actually DML is the Author of Apex
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:22 pm

:)

..and that is basically the same advice I gave when I first heard about the problem - but I've been able to reproduce it now and its turning out to be pretty strange. One of those bugs that takes a decade or so to happen :)

I think it could be related to failing NVRam batteries, and basing video register choices on the system video fields. Or perhaps certain monitors getting annoyed with the video profiles baked into Apex.

In any case I didn't see this happen back in the '90s but now it seems common, and happens on a cheap LCD TV tested here. I notice that sometimes it can happen a second or so after the video mode is set, which suggests the signal is slightly out of limits. I've seen it happen in both 50 and 60hz modes, but most often happens when flipping between them.

I snapped some new video profiles using ScreensPain and replaced the ones in Apex with those, and avoided the resync step which was needed when applying the old profiles (probably because of the order the regs were being set originally) - and it seems to work now on my TV.

It would take me a bit more digging to find out exactly which bit was going wrong (the profiles themselves or register loading & related inputs) but since it works now I'll probably just go with that, once I've had some positive testing feedback.

Scarlettkitten
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Scarlettkitten » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:22 pm

Thanks so much for looking into this Doug, I've sent you a pm or 2 :) The last prg file you sent me looks to be working fine :D

Thanks and more thanks.

Soph
Music gear
Falcon 030 14MB, Cubase Audio, Soundpool FA8,FDI, MAudio 88 keystation, Roland S750, Yamaha A5000, Roland JV1080, Yamaha MG10, 1040STE, ZX Spectrum 128k.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:03 pm

For anyone who had problems with display losing sync (i.e. black screen) on starting Apex, or when changing resolution, a hotfix is now available from my site:

http://www.leonik.net/dml/sec_apex.py

Thx to Soph for helping with the debugging part.

Omikronman
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Omikronman » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:51 pm

Ah, Apex Media. I bought it years ago for my Falcon. I really loved it. Yellow_Colorz_PDT_15

Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Postby Marcer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:45 pm

Witch version of apex is it.? if it's a common version I hope you bought it for the manual sake.
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Atari Legend (Games all-a-round)
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:18 pm

I've never been able to find a digital copy of the manual - I don't think I ever had it*. Titan probably had the only copy of the file since the program shipped with a printed manual only.

I do have a print copy stuffed away somewhere but not within easy reach. I will scan it if and when it does surface.

* this is still a puzzle though, because I did write a good deal of the manual!

LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby LaurentS » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:33 pm

Hi all,

I've got a full boxed apex media (registered n° 3781) with the book manual (248 pages) + the supplement to manual (8 pages) + 2 black floppy disks (very nice look with the black scorpion picture on them) + a registration card (should I send it to Apex address ? ;) + a little line of sticker paper with the following words :

Draw | line | curve | polygon | Circle | Box | Fill | Airbrush | Grid | Ex color

+ another line of sticker paper with the following words :

1/ Standard drawing 2/ Cell manipulation 3/ Color workstation 4/ Digitising interface 5/ Nonlinear Drawing 6/ Film & image filters 7/ Morphing & distortion 8/ Text interface

If someone need info from the manual, I can help (but I won't scan all the pages, it's a too huge work ;)
And my manual book looks as if it was new (never used), so I would not like to kill it.

Regards

Laurent

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:38 pm

heh heh. I'll know who to ask then when I get stuck :)

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:24 am

someone selling original Apex with manual here: http://www.retroclasificados.com/se-ven ... iscos-2421
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby viking272 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:18 pm

I've emailed the guy but the advert date suggests 2013? Also I don't speak/write Spanish but we'll see.
Happy to buy and put together the digital manual.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”