[SOLVED] TT030 + NOVA + Mach64 = four bombs

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: TT030 + NOVA + Mach64 = four bombs

Postby frank.lukas » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:23 pm

@mzry ... there are ATI ISA MACH64 cards with little Bt or AT&T RamDACs. Such a card can only works with 2 or 256 colors. 15/16 or 24-bit are not possible at the moment.
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:08 pm

I see I have some serious testing to do on Monday. Thank you guys for confirming your setups.

gazak28
Atari User
Atari User

Postby gazak28 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:50 am

Hi Mikro,
How am I supposed to get my TT up and running with the extra Ram, and ET 4000 graphics card if you are struggling? lol

I will be in the man cave this weekend trying to set up everything.

Good luck hope all goes well

kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby kodak80 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:07 am

gazak28 wrote:Hi Mikro,
How am I supposed to get my TT up and running with the extra Ram, and ET 4000 graphics card if you are struggling? lol

I will be in the man cave this weekend trying to set up everything.

Good luck hope all goes well

Now I know what I will be helping with this weekend :D
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards | MiniCosmosEx
Admin of Atari ST Review Magazine Archive: http://www.ataristreview.com

gazak28
Atari User
Atari User

Postby gazak28 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:28 am

Yes please
You are always welcome Rob.

mzry
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mzry » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:02 am

mikro wrote:I see I have some serious testing to do on Monday. Thank you guys for confirming your setups.

Yeah try hitting the space bar straight after the Atari logo screen, this will take you into the resolution selection screen. Just in-case it's booting in a bad res for your monitor.
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

mzry
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mzry » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:05 am

frank.lukas wrote:I tested with a ATI 2MB Card and the old driver on the Web from Idek. It works fine with the Lightning USB Adapter.

There is a need for the new driver only with a 4MB MACH64 card.

@mikro ... may be your MACH64 card is faulty or your TT has a problem !?! Test it with a PC. Before I ship the Nova Adapter all are tested.

Frank, I am wondering whether Mikro needs the special driver, since his card is an upgradable 2-4mb card. Where as mine is just a 2mb, not-upgradable.
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:49 am

1 or 2MB ATI MACH64 need the normal Nova Driver from Idek

4MB ATI MACH64 need the spezial Nova Driver from Idek when a Lightning USB Interface in also build in

frank.lukas wrote:I tested with a ATI 2MB Card and the old driver on the Web from Idek. It works fine with the Lightning USB Adapter.

fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:48 pm

OK, some success at last.

First I would like to warn everyone new to this - the driver really doesn't make it easy. On the first boot (power up), before the desktop has been reached, the driver does not show anything - it produces a blank screen. As soon as the desktop has been reached (whether that is due to successful boot or just CTRL+ALT+DEL and boot with CONTROL), one can see the switch to mono + message by Idek. Very, very confusing.

Then there is an issue with the new TOS 3.06 (for the Thunder) - CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+DEL doesn't really cold boot the machine, it just jumps into another blank screen. Add this to the previous paragraph and you get a debugging hell.

OK and finally, the Storm plays a role in this mess too - the culprit was ... 256 MB. Yes, I got it working with 128 MB without any trouble. Can't imagine what's happening there but I'm happy to help with testing.

DoG
Atari User
Atari User

Re: [SOLVED] TT030 + NOVA + Mach64 = four bombs

Postby DoG » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Strange. I use Storm, Thunder and Lightning. I use 256 Mb EDO memory and the modified TOS 3.06 they provided. Works fine for me. By the way, does different version/revision of TT have anything to do with it?

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:37 pm

DoG wrote:Strange. I use Storm, Thunder and Lightning. I use 256 Mb EDO memory and the modified TOS 3.06 they provided. Works fine for me. By the way, does different version/revision of TT have anything to do with it?

Fascinating. Can you observe the boot behaviour described above? (white screen after emulator.prg on native video out when the TT is powered up)

I'll try to run YAART on the SIMMs, I use EDO modules as well (but tried to configure them as FPM before, too).

mzry
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mzry » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:05 am

With mine I am using 64mb memory. On the native TT output after the driver is loaded it displays the driver information plus a coloured background. The ATI output shows either TOS or Mint loading scrolling command text etc.

mzry
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mzry » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:08 am

frank.lukas wrote:1 or 2MB ATI MACH64 need the normal Nova Driver from Idek

4MB ATI MACH64 need the spezial Nova Driver from Idek when a Lightning USB Interface in also build in

You misunderstand me Frank, what I'm trying to say is that there are two types of 2mb ATI cards. You have a 2mb card that is 3rd party which cannot be upgraded to 4mb (like what I have) And then you have Mikros model which is upgradable. My concern is that the special driver might fix issues with the ram dac or something else on the upgradable card, not necessarily *just* due to the 4mb. I hope that makes sense.

Idek Tramielski
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Idek Tramielski » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:17 am

mikro wrote:OK, some success at last.

First I would like to warn everyone new to this - the driver really doesn't make it easy. On the first boot (power up), before the desktop has been reached, the driver does not show anything - it produces a blank screen. As soon as the desktop has been reached (whether that is due to successful boot or just CTRL+ALT+DEL and boot with CONTROL), one can see the switch to mono + message by Idek. Very, very confusing.

I don't quite understand what you are saying here. The standard output is not supposed to get into the desktop. EMULATOR redirects the output to the NOVA output where you should get the desktop (or the output of MENU, if used). Could you provide provide pictures?

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:12 am

Idek Tramielski wrote:
mikro wrote:OK, some success at last.

I don't quite understand what you are saying here. The standard output is not supposed to get into the desktop. EMULATOR redirects the output to the NOVA output where you should get the desktop (or the output of MENU, if used). Could you provide provide pictures?

Correct. What I mean is that in the beginning you see the Atari logo, right. And then EMULATOR.PRG loads. And the behaviour what happens on the Atari output after that depends whether the desktop has been reached or not.

For instance: I power up the TT, press CONTROL to avoid loading EMULATOR.PRG, get to the desktop. CTRL+ALT+DEL (soft reset), EMULATOR.PRG kicks in, I see the "Mach64 by Idek" message (like in my first post) and then of course the output is redirected to Mach64.

If I avoid pressing CONTROL & CTRL+ALT+DEL during the power up, I get blank screen on Atari output and then the output is again redirected to Mach64.

In the end it doesn't matter whether Atari output shows blank screen or "Mach64 by Idek" screen, it's just super confusing.

What worries me more is that fact others can get it working on 256 MB of TT RAM. This is not related to the Lightning (I have it removed for easier debugging) so it remains a mystery for now. Using your "L" driver doesn't help here either.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:34 pm

Heureka! Found the real problem. It was indeed one of the SIMMs. YAART shines at its best -- Atari's TT RAM test passed, desktop and everything all fine but this little tool has uncovered the sad truth. After putting another 128 MB (I'm glad I had this testing frenzy with CT2 when I was buying a lot of 64/128 MB SIMMs ;)) I'm a happy user of 256 MB + Mach64.

Thank you all guys for your input, it really helps to know what is supposed to work.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”