S-Video on Falcon

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

S-Video on Falcon

Postby mikro » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:08 am

Has anyone ever tried to mod a Falcon in this way? Since the Falcon (rather surprisingly) doesn't have a separate luma/chroma output on its db19 one has to look for STFM/STE solutions.

From what I could find, there is a solution by ppera/AtariZoll: viewtopic.php?t=15728 (implemented by spiny here: viewtopic.php?t=25482; more details here: http://atari.8bitchip.info/stvid.php) and then one by simbo: viewtopic.php?t=17126#p150622 (who claimed the former solution is wrong because it disables TV output; his one is written in the typical simbo style...)

So I'm wondering, has anyone ever attempted do one of those on Falcon?

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Re: S-Video on Falcon

Postby mikro » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:34 pm

I actually like Simbo's method more because it doesn't require desoldering the coil and delay lines:

• lift MC1377's pin 10 (chroma input) and optionally put a jumper/switch between the pin and pin's hole
  • connect Luma wire to R30's end* (former composite video, same as DB19 pin 12) like this: (+) 22uF 16V electrolytic cap (-) -> 75R resistor -> Luma+sync out (R30 should be Falcon's equivalent to R202 in Simbo's STFM if I'm reading the schematics correctly)
  • connect Chroma wire to the pin 10's hole like this: 220pF ceramic capacitor --> 75R resistor -> Chroma out (not sure about the 220pF capacitor - Simbo doesn't have anything like that on his pictures)
* maybe it's actually better to solder it on C24's end (similar position as Simbo's R202) and add yet another resistor (75R) to the wire as R30 is on the back side of the PCB

I'm going to give it a try next week I hope.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Re: S-Video on Falcon

Postby mikro » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:04 pm

mikro wrote:I'm going to give it a try next week I hope.

I'm not sure whether it's good news or bad news but I have realised that I don't need it. :-) For some reason I had believed that the ScreenEye outputs an S-Video signal (which is rather stupid as it's just one RCA cable) and therefore to be able to record stuff from other ST/Falcon I need it to output S-Video as well.

So this is postponed indefinitely but maybe my guide will help someone.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”