Atari-TT ECL to VGA Adapter

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, lp, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Atari-TT ECL to VGA Adapter

Postby edingacic » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:24 pm

I know about TenoxVGA adapter and CodeKiller ECL-VGA adapters but I never heard of this one by Inventronik. Are they legit? Here is the link?

Anyone know how they differ from the above two adapters?

https://shop.inventronik.de/index.php?i ... &id_lang=2

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Atari-TT ECL to VGA Adapter

Postby edingacic » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:48 pm

I went and ordered it as I got a response from Dipl.-Ing. Wolfgang Foerster will report how it works on my TT030 and Eizo panel.

ccarl84
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ccarl84 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:31 am

Hello,

It's interesting.

Keep me informed, I'm thinking of ordering one.

Ccarl84

tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby tenox » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:42 am

Interesting. I'll order one. if it works fine I'll stop making mine.

ccarl84
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ccarl84 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:51 am

tenox wrote:Interesting. I'll order one. if it works fine I'll stop making mine.

Hello,

Access which VGA screen? A standard?

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:56 pm

I just got the adapter and it comes with a plastic connector and 3 wire clippers for what I think is a power source of 5v. I think I need to make this wire and take it I guess form the floppy drive? I already have a CosmosEX connected instead of a floppy disk can I power this adapter with the same wires by y splitting them?

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:23 pm

I found a phone charger 5v and made a cable to power the adapter - works fine :)
Here are the pictures from full HD monitor not ideal monitor because it can't map 1:1 pixels but it works fine for now. :)

I will try now 30 inch Apple Cinema Display

https://prnt.sc/k80yv9
http://prntscr.com/k80zi4
http://prntscr.com/k80znf

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:48 pm

tenox wrote:Interesting. I'll order one. if it works fine I'll stop making mine.

Your ECL/VGA Adapter has no moire.
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Text is really sharp but the gradients you can't see because its not 1:1 mapping its phasing so I need a better monitor that can do closer to native resolution.

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:06 pm

here is EIZO monitor looks amazing but I can't push the picture anymore to the left i had to use clock of 1792 to get it looking this perfect but I can't move the picture anymore to the left ... too bad :( I have to look for another LCD that can give me better control.

https://imgur.com/a/raMQA7n

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Here is one nice find... looks like ...MultiSync LCD2190UXp is a 21 inch version of NEC MultiSync LCD1990SXi mentioned by Tenox as a perfect display. I compared both manuals and yes both have expansion scaling off - and both support 1280x960 at 60Hz by interpolation. Manuals covers look also identical for this LCD series. I have also looked at other NEC displays in wide aspect ratio like NEC MultiSync EA221WM (22-inch) and that one also supports 1280x960 at 60 and 75 hz but it does not list expansion scaling off so I don't know if that one would work.

Anyone know if they had larger displays from that LCD series maybe 24 inch ... that would be really cool

I found MultiSync LCD2190UXp locally and will be getting in tomorrow and will report here :)

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:11 pm

I found another looks like perfect monitor for TT
NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi - It supports 1280x960 interpolated - 60 up to 85hz and also has the Expansion scaling off and a Custom settings even deeper then the other NEC ... it is widescreen and supports 1080P also... also supports scaling any resolution to full HD. I think this one might be the best one :) Will hunt it down ... oh and its 24 inch :)

and MultiSync LCD2690WUXi - 26 inch version :)

and MultiSync NEC LCD3090WQXi - 30 inch :) :)

https://www.extremetech.com/electronics ... xi/2?print

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:26 pm

Today I try 4 monitors and all have the same horizontal shift to the right problem that can't be compensated. I try different ratio and sizes of monitors to regular to wide. One in particular that I was sure it was going to work because it has expansion/scaling off and custom was NEC LCD-2190 UXP - 21" monitor, in the manual it supports even the 1280x960 interpolated and has all the features for scaling. Unfortunatley I was not able to compensate the horizontal shift, the picture looked really good just like on my EIZO 17" monitor but the horizontal shift was there.

http://tenoxvga.tenox.net - Tenox even refer to NEC monitor with same features as the one above but his is 19" so that might be it? He refers to NEC 1990 SXi. and I compared the manuals for both NEC and they are identical in features the only difference this one is 21" and his is 19" and his supports also 1280x960. 19" original native rez is 1280x1020 and the one I try was 1600x1200.

So I am wondering if this horizontal shift is due to the adapter itself since I saw this on all monitors I try. Now the only way its working is on my wide screen Samsun BX2235 i was able to shift the picture so I can see everything but the quality of the background is phasing so its not really usable outside of cubase for me.

Hope someone knows more details here about the horizontal shift. Maybe I have to use 19 inch NEC ? Just to note I did try one 19 inch Benq monitor but that one did not have scaling off feature and horizontal shift to the right could not be compansated as the Horizontal setting was set all the way to left but still I was missing part of the desktop to the right :(

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Today I tried a CRT 17" Vision Master - works really good without issues. Horizontal shift was easy to correct unlike those other LCD screens I have tried. So my conclusion is that maybe getting a 22 inch CRT would be a better choice. You could get clean and sharp picture and have a larger display without issues and without being restricted to 19 inch LCD.

Here is a pic
http://prntscr.com/k8wrc0

Fletch
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Fletch » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:48 pm

I ordered one of these a couple of weeks ago as well. I'll let you know how it works out when it arrives.

-Pete

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:31 pm

I have concluded that this adapter suffers from this H-shift to the right that Code Killer has implemented in his. Good news we now have two batches of each maker for us to choose from. One is cheaper and more suited for CRT screens I guess and Code Killers has implemented Horizontal shift so it is easy to compensate this on TFTs , a nice case, a switch for VGA and a convenient USB power. I will get one of his also :)

Fletch
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Fletch » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 pm

IMG_5600.jpg

It seems to work well for me, but I am using it on a wide screen LG monitor. None of my 1280x1024 LCD monitors seem to be able to sync at 71hz. There is a faint colored vertical line towards the right hand of the display, but it is really not noticeable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”