Can't access certain drives in Mint, but ok in TOS?

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, lp, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Can't access certain drives in Mint, but ok in TOS?

Postby mzry » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:22 am

Hey guys,

I just installed a dual cf card to ide adaptor so that I can have a master/slave in my falcon. It has installed fine, hd driver has set the new card up and partitioned it. I have used a 2GB cf and split it into 2 with tos/windows/byte swap enabled. My main C drive has stayed the same, and is working fine.

When I access the new paritions e/f in TOS, they are fine, no problems. When I try to access them in Mint I get 'Path not found'. I am going into u: and then trying to enter the drives listed inside.

Any ideas? Thx
Falcon ct63e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - SCSI2SD - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Can't access certain drives in Mint, but ok in TOS?

Postby frank.lukas » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:39 am

You need the helmut kernel ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:59 pm

Thanks Frank! That fixed it, I had no idea this branch existed. Works great :)
Falcon ct63e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - SCSI2SD - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:47 pm

frank.lukas wrote:You need the helmut kernel ...

Do you know what the the problem is? What for is the fix in Helmut's kernel?

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:03 am

From what I read it seems that the official branch does not include the tosfs file system, the helmut branch put it back in. Although I don't fully understand as my C drive is basic tosfs and mint could always access that. Maybe someone more knowledge could shed some light on this.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:09 am

The trunk kernel has no proper tosfs support. That is not so good ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:11 am

Why would TOSFS be needed in this case? Looks like something that should be fixed properly in MiNT instead of reverting to a solution that slows down disk access.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:38 am

mzry wrote:From what I read it seems that the official branch does not include the tosfs file system, the helmut branch put it back in. Although I don't fully understand as my C drive is basic tosfs and mint could always access that. Maybe someone more knowledge could shed some light on this.

Have you taken the 68000 or the 68030 kernel from Helmut's branch?

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:01 am

joska wrote:Why would TOSFS be needed in this case? Looks like something that should be fixed properly in MiNT instead of reverting to a solution that slows down disk access.

TOSFS is needed when you use in HDDriver the Partition Type TOS/Windows with Byteswap for example on a CF card (Filetransfer with a Mac or PC) ...

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:47 am

It shouldn't be necessary. Much better to fix this in MiNT instead of using TOSFS which slows down access to all disks/partitions. Not sure why this happens, MiNT has no problems with byteswapped IDE-devices under EmuTOS.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Galvez wrote:
mzry wrote:From what I read it seems that the official branch does not include the tosfs file system, the helmut branch put it back in. Although I don't fully understand as my C drive is basic tosfs and mint could always access that. Maybe someone more knowledge could shed some light on this.

the 060 kernel

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:49 pm

mzry wrote:
Galvez wrote:

the 060 kernel

I was asking because i saw that Helmut's 68000 kernel is compiled to use the ROM functions to handle FAT file systems, but the rest of the kernels in his branch don't. So if you're using a 060 kernel there is something that Helmut fixed or there has been some kind of regression in the main branch. I'll try to investigate this.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”