Falcon gives no display

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., lp, [ProToS], Moderator Team

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Falcon gives no display

Postby jury » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:04 am

Yesterday when I powered off my Falcon and switching it on again it didnt display anything on monitor, even thou the fan on CT63 starts spinning and goes like during the normal work.
So I started to try to diagnose what component could be faulty. First all the additional ( unnecessary ) hardware was plugged off ( NetUSBee, Eiffel ... ) but still no display.
As its equipped with CT63 + SV, I set the jumper to 030 mode and connected monitor to standard Falcon monitor connector but no change.
Unfortunately I do not have the original Falcon PSU in working condition, so I was unable to unplug CT63 to see how it behaves.
Also changed memory stick to a different one in CT63, changed CT63 to a different unit ( without SV ) and done quite many other little things but absolute no change in behaviur :(
Falcon monitor of course connected to my so called main PC and it seems to display the vision fine ( Linux desktop in 1024x768 on 15 inch CRT looks pretty nice, so I played a little before disconnecting it :) )
I could be a little depressed because of this, so I could be missing something obvious so any clues are welcome :)
Oh, and I have a multimeter if anyone has an idea what and where to check. I never used one in my life yet, but I guess that its no rocket science :)

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Falcon gives no display

Postby mikro » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:09 am

Well, the first obvious thing is to try it on RGB/tv.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:32 am

Good point, thanks.
I do not have any RGB monitor so I will try to find a way to connect it to a TV.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:05 pm

Oh man that's sucks.
Have you also checked the original Falcon memory?
The CT63 fan should take power directly so it does not mean anything.
Is your HDD light coming on?
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:55 pm

wongck wrote:Have you also checked the original Falcon memory?

No, did not checked, but you are right, this should be also verified, especially that I should have 2 sticks ( somewhere :) )

wongck wrote:The CT63 fan should take power directly so it does not mean anything.

Didn't know that, but when I put NetUSBee and Eiffel back in, their lights are on, so it seems that the board gets at least some power.

wongck wrote:Is your HDD light coming on?

I do not have any light for HDD, but it also for sure gets some power, because when I take it in my hand and switch the power on, I can easy feel how it plates start spinning.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:11 pm

On my Falcon, when the HDD is accessed, the floppy LED flashes.
I also have the HDD access LED from the CT63 pinput (some where near the programming pins).

It could be that your NVram settings are off, and bring it to a funny screen mode.
I cannot remember which are the keys to press on reboot to clear the nvram.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:40 pm

NVRAM is a suspect for sure. Have you replaced your NVRAM?
- If no, the battery is likely dead unless somebody before you replaced it. Corrupt settings can lead to display problems.
- If yes, check/reflow the solder joints, bad contact can lead to no display.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Yes, I replaced the NVRAM 6 to 8 years ago. If it was quite 'fresh' at the time I bought it it should be still fine, so will check the solder joints.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:11 am

More news. I changed falcon memory stick to a different one - no change, then changed to another one and falcon ( being switched to 060 mode ) started to display output. It showed that color CT60 splash screen and after that resets shows the splash and resets shows the splash ...
So switched to 030 mode and it booted into TOS fine. So I changed CT63 to another one and this time it did not show any display in 060 and 030 mode.
I replaced NVRAM also, but it made no change.

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:59 am

Something silly,
But after you removed the CT63 board, did you replaced the jumper on the expansion connectors ?
(See screenshots of Falcon MB)

At the other hand, I got also a problem that a Falcon didn't give a screen in VGA mode.
After some investigation, I got a screen on a the B/W monitor, so the problem could be tracked down.
It's more than 10 years ago, so I don't know all the details anymore how we repaired it.

However, I found the solution in the Falcon technical manuals from Atari.
Its a good idea to read those books. There is a website where you can download them.

Good luck,

Mark

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:25 am

Did you also *reset* the nvram to have some feasible values?

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:21 pm

I used RESETNVR.PRG from this site:
http://atarimusic.exxoshost.co.uk/index ... Itemid=342
After this, the date did not change, but the language of TOS switched to German, so I guess this application did 'something' with the NVRAM.

Mark_G wrote:Something silly,
But after you removed the CT63 board, did you replaced the jumper on the expansion connectors ?
(See screenshots of Falcon MB)

Wow, I totally forgot about existance of this jumper. I put the CT63 into my falcon so many years ago, that it just drifted away from my memory, but as you suggested to see screenshots of Falcon MB it reminded me that yes, there was something like that :)
But I did not have to put it back as I did not disconnect CT63 as I can not. I do not have a working original Falcon PSU so even if I want to switch to 030 mode, the CT63 has to be connected as Falcon is powered up from ATX PSU through the CT.

Mark_G wrote:Something silly,
However, I found the solution in the Falcon technical manuals from Atari.
Its a good idea to read those books. There is a website where you can download them.

Good luck,

Thanks, will try to search those, but rather for curiosity as I doubt I will understand much of it ;)

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:30 pm

jury wrote:More news. I changed falcon memory stick to a different one - no change, then changed to another one and falcon ( being switched to 060 mode ) started to display output. It showed that color CT60 splash screen and after that resets shows the splash and resets shows the splash ...
So switched to 030 mode and it booted into TOS fine. So I changed CT63 to another one and this time it did not show any display in 060 and 030 mode.
I replaced NVRAM also, but it made no change.

Is the PSU OK? Any sign of the floppy drive being accessed while booting?
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:57 pm

I assume its OK, in 030 mode floppy reads/writes fine. In 060 mode cant see if its being accessed while booting as it stopped to even go in that reset loop after splash logo :(

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:16 am

Great !1 you got 030 mode.
In a rush so did not read everything above, did you try to reset the speed of the CT63 in 030 mode?

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:05 am

No, didn't. Will try to reset it.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:40 am

When trying to save new clock value in 030 mode I get "For program the clock generator without the CT60, you must connect the module on MODEM2"
Geeez, I think there is something fried ...

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:12 pm

Well, should not say that.
My guess is that the speed is running in an insane speed and crashes the 060 almost immediately when it boot up & load the speed readings.
You need to some how lower it.
Only way I know is via the CT60 CPX.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”