Is there an up to date replacement for SpareMiNT

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., lp, [ProToS], Moderator Team

epoch32
Atariator
Atariator

Is there an up to date replacement for SpareMiNT

Postby epoch32 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:51 pm

As cool as sparemint is with its unix tools and such. I've realized that it has been getting long in the tooth by now. So is there an up to date distro out there? Preferably with a package manager

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Is there an up to date replacement for SpareMiNT

Postby mzry » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:45 pm

The latest version of Sparemint comes with the latest version of the Mint kernel afaik. But I agree it would be absolutely brilliant if we had a modern package manager, like debians apt-get update.

epoch32
Atariator
Atariator

Postby epoch32 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:37 pm

mzry wrote:The latest version of Sparemint comes with the latest version of the Mint kernel afaik. But I agree it would be absolutely brilliant if we had a modern package manager, like debians apt-get update.

I heard that there was a gentoo distro available although for me I want it to be as a drop in replacement as much as possible plus the links for it are dead. (What happened to atariforge?)

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:19 pm

epoch32 wrote:As cool as sparemint is with its unix tools and such. I've realized that it has been getting long in the tooth by now. So is there an up to date distro out there? Preferably with a package manager

Not yet, but Mark Duckworth wanted to work on something like this again. In the meantime, you can find some up-to-date packages at http://www.tho-otto.de/crossmint.php Although primary meant for cross-compilations, the *-bin archives there use a standard directory layout and should be installable on a native filesystem. They are just plain tar archives though, no package management.

mzry wrote:The latest version of Sparemint comes with the latest version of the Mint kernel afaik

The latest version from the time Sparemint was maintained. That was something like version 1.16 IIRC

epoch32
Atariator
Atariator

Postby epoch32 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:33 am

ThorstenOtto wrote:
Not yet, but Mark Duckworth wanted to work on something like this again.

You mean RPMint? There hasn't been any news since the beginning of feb neither from his site atari-source.org nor here.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:43 pm

epoch32 wrote:You mean RPMint? There hasn't been any news since the beginning of feb neither from his site atari-source.org nor here.

Yes, that's what i meant. Maybe he's currently busy, but i guess he doesn't pay for the domain just for fun.

epoch32
Atariator
Atariator

Postby epoch32 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:37 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:
epoch32 wrote:You mean RPMint? There hasn't been any news since the beginning of feb neither from his site atari-source.org nor here.

Yes, that's what i meant. Maybe he's currently busy, but i guess he doesn't pay for the domain just for fun.

Well that sucks :(

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:38 pm

Your best bet for an up to date distro is download the base from https://freemint.github.io/#snapshots and enhance with stuff from Thorsten's and Vincent's archives.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”