Mouse buttons come and go

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Mouse buttons come and go

Postby troed » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:24 pm

My Falcon is having a difficult relationship with its mouse buttons. This happens in both stock 030 mode and accelerated CT60e, and it happens both with a PeST connected PS/2 optical mouse as well as with a Smallymouse2 connected USB one.

All of a sudden, mouse button presses stop registering. It then stays that way for a long while, and then comes back. Power cycling works. Mouse pointer movement is not affected at all, and using the keyboard to simulate mouse input works fine throughout.

Any ideas? I'm somewhat lost over the issue atm.

edit: Stock TOS as well as with NVDI.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Mouse buttons come and go

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:31 pm

At some point mouse buttons wear out. Maybe that's the issue?

(That can cause weird issues, e.g. mouse buttons being pressed down too long, or generating extra clicks.)

fidzen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fidzen » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:07 pm

troed wrote:My Falcon is having a difficult relationship with its mouse buttons. This happens in both stock 030 mode and accelerated CT60e, and it happens both with a PeST connected PS/2 optical mouse as well as with a Smallymouse2 connected USB one.

All of a sudden, mouse button presses stop registering. It then stays that way for a long while, and then comes back. Power cycling works. Mouse pointer movement is not affected at all, and using the keyboard to simulate mouse input works fine throughout.

Any ideas? I'm somewhat lost over the issue atm.

edit: Stock TOS as well as with NVDI.

Is it working with original mouse?
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT60e, Supervidel, Svetlana, 512Mb RAM, 8Gb CF.
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT63, 256Mb RAM,4Gb CF.
Firebee Series 2, 16Gb CF, 2Gb SD, MEGA ST Keyboard and Atari Mice.
Atari Stacy 2 with 4Mb RAM and 20Mb HD.
Atari Lynx II with new LCD and VGA output.
Atari 2600 4-switch Woody

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Maybe a faulty keyboard?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:18 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:At some point mouse buttons wear out. Maybe that's the issue?

(That can cause weird issues, e.g. mouse buttons being pressed down too long, or generating extra clicks.)

The two different mice of course work fine on all my other Ataris .. :) I could've mentioned that of course.

fidzen wrote:Is it working with original mouse?

See above. I haven't tried an original mouse but I know of no difference between Falcon and other Ataris (520STM, 1040STFM, 1040STE, Mega ST and Mega STE) that would result in such an issue.

joska wrote:Maybe a faulty keyboard?

Yeah, but ... in what way? I don't even know where to start looking for the issue. I haven't reflown the actual connector - it didn't seem like a typical bad connection but I guess I could start there. The pins for the buttons are after all different from movement ...

fidzen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fidzen » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:04 pm

troed wrote:
Eero Tamminen wrote:At some point mouse buttons wear out. Maybe that's the issue?

The two different mice of course work fine on all my other Ataris .. :) I could've mentioned that of course.

fidzen wrote:Is it working with original mouse?

See above. I haven't tried an original mouse but I know of no difference between Falcon and other Ataris (520STM, 1040STFM, 1040STE, Mega ST and Mega STE) that would result in such an issue.

joska wrote:Maybe a faulty keyboard?

Yeah, but ... in what way? I don't even know where to start looking for the issue. I haven't reflown the actual connector - it didn't seem like a typical bad connection but I guess I could start there. The pins for the buttons are after all different from movement ...

Okay, I'm just asking because this Falcon worked fine with original Atari mouse once upon a time. :-)
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT60e, Supervidel, Svetlana, 512Mb RAM, 8Gb CF.
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT63, 256Mb RAM,4Gb CF.
Firebee Series 2, 16Gb CF, 2Gb SD, MEGA ST Keyboard and Atari Mice.
Atari Stacy 2 with 4Mb RAM and 20Mb HD.
Atari Lynx II with new LCD and VGA output.
Atari 2600 4-switch Woody

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:08 pm

Maybe I should have mentioned that so far the mouse buttons wearing out has been in issue only with cheap (wired) USB mouses, my expensive wireless USB ergo mouse is still fine. For latter, the battery running out has caused weird issues. :-)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:13 pm

Maybe a problem with the keyboard controller since a warm reboot fixes the problem. Try reproducing the problem with another keyboard.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:20 pm

troed wrote:Yeah, but ... in what way? I don't even know where to start looking for the issue. I haven't reflown the actual connector - it didn't seem like a typical bad connection but I guess I could start there. The pins for the buttons are after all different from movement ...

The solder joints for the mouse/joystick ports on Ataris are absolutely notorious. I've still got a pair of those short mouse/joystick extension cables which were always recommended back in the day - to protect the delicate ports.

I'd probably start by reflowing all those joints, and carefully inspecting to see if any PCB damage has occurred. It might even be a faulty connector itself.

If that doesn't help, it's possible the PS/2/USB mouse adapters have a marginal design. For example, they might not deliver a low enough logic low level. The exact logic threshold will vary from one Atari to another, so the same adapter could well work on another machine.

Other things to check - is the power supply in the Falcon delivering clean power? You could also try swapping the keyboard with another ST keyboard. It would isolate the problem to the keyboard processor / assembly.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:38 pm

yeah I've had an ST keyboard connected for a few hours now. It's difficult to know when the problem "should've" appeared but it does seem as if it's at least somewhere with the actual Falcon keyboard. So, tomorrow I'll reflow the soldering and check for cracks (as far as possible .. ). Next after that is hooking up the LA I guess.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”