Falcon drive "B"

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Falcon drive "B"

Postby Rustynutt » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:35 pm

Is there a way to "trick" TOS 4.04 to look at what HD Driver has assigned as a drive B to a connected device on the IDE or SCSI bus?

At first I thought it was working, then came into a lot of hardware freezes. I can read and write between drive "B" and "C", but writing from "A" to "B" generally causes an error, or freezes the device mid stream.
Thought Kobold used it's own routines to copy between an "A" floppy and "B" floppy, but seems it only buffers the data, and uses TOS routines to do the actual read and write.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Falcon drive "B"

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Not sure what you really want. Just copy from floppy A to floppy B ? But then, what HDdriver has with it ?
Hard disk drivers don't assign some IDE or SCSI device to logical drive B. With reason. That will work not good, for sure.
It may be that your power supply is weak now, and 2 floppy drives working at once just overload it. Otherwise TOS can do copy from A to B or versus without problems.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Rustynutt » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:22 pm

:) I have a SCSI floppy drive connected to the SCSI bus.
HD Driver can assign it as drive "B". The system basically recognizes that, but as I said, seems TOS doesn't like it much...

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:48 pm

Yep. I think that you just should use RAMdisk for copy between 2 floppies (with only 1 drive, of course). Or even better, use hard disk as buffer :D
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Rustynutt » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:58 pm

A RAM disk may very well get around the corruption and freeze issues.
Ideally, using the drop down to format a floppy, select B, then format, want TOS to look at what HD Driver has setup as drive B, then HD Driver takes over to format the SCSI floppy super drive using TOS routines (aka Kobold).
HD Driver can format the floppy, but somewhere in translation, it becomes unreadable afterwards.
The SCSI floppy has no issues reading an Atari or PC format floppy, the problem is TOS does not recognize it as a real floppy, only another device on the SCSI chain.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”