Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Pls help make my desktop look good

Postby mzry » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:20 am

Hi guys,

My Falcons desktop looks like vomit and I was hoping someone can help.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6vqg ... 1ctMUthUFk

I have it at 800x600 256 colours, running Myaes and Teradesk. The desktop background looks beautiful in 256 colours on my PC but looks trash on the Falcon. Even Zorros dark windframe looks horrid. I know it is only 256 colours but surely it should look better than this?

Using rezmode 3 and vsetmode 27 in the myaes config.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Pls help make my desktop look good

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:05 am

Wow ! There is something wrong with palettes, I'm sure. Color for background is probably mixed up.
Can you post here image(s) for that background - in all formats you used - so on PC, on Falcon ?
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:24 am

desk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:29 am

mzry wrote:Hi guys,

My Falcons desktop looks like vomit and I was hoping someone can help.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6vqg ... 1ctMUthUFk

I have it at 800x600 256 colours, running Myaes and Teradesk. The desktop background looks beautiful in 256 colours on my PC but looks trash on the Falcon. Even Zorros dark windframe looks horrid. I know it is only 256 colours but surely it should look better than this?

Using rezmode 3 and vsetmode 27 in the myaes config.

Please provide jpeg file of your desktop, I not see anything wrong like this, perhaps not nice but depend of the original picture, all looks dark in your photo so very low number of color is used to display it so I'm not surprised it not display nicely, change photo or work in 16 bit depth color, this is faster and more nice.
OL

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:38 am

mzry wrote:desk.jpg

You put the file I was writing my message.

I confirm what I have previoulsy write, it is impossible to display correctly this photo because of too low near color to display it in your palette, in fact MyAES do a very nice job, solution :

change myaes.pal (it is just binary file of 24bits RGB of each color) to have full gray palette (except 16 first color should not change) to display nicely this photo but in this case when a software will change the palette you will have psychadelic background! Generaly NVDI palette is use by most application.

Most simple use another photo with more colors! Or not use any photo at all
OL

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:57 am

Ok thx. I don't know how to make a pal file even though you make it sound easy, so I will experiment with different backgrounds. Still, the windframes look like arse. I just don't understand why the Falcon can't display all 256 colours? Why is there a need for palettes.

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:18 am

mzry wrote:Ok thx. I don't know how to make a pal file even though you make it sound easy, so I will experiment with different backgrounds. Still, the windframes look like arse. I just don't understand why the Falcon can't display all 256 colours? Why is there a need for palettes.

It is very simple, the memory map is on 8 bits so you can have choice of 256 different colors, but this value are arbitrary, your video card need transform this value in RGB color, so for this the video need translation between value and RGB this is the palette, and the palette is applyed to all the screen, if Photoshop translate your photo in 256 colors it is really easy for him, this software optimize the palette for the photo, so it can really use 256 colors to display color, and if Photoshop translate an other photo it will be use an other palette but the screen can use only one palette for all photos nothing can optimized so there is very low number of color to display your photo not 256 colors!, some Atari software optimize highly palette to display one photo but outside of the photo all will be badly display.
OL

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:31 am

The white dots are probably due to the dithering effect.
May be a one-to-one colour replacement from RGB to 256 colours may be better.

But in general, there is too few colours to make a proper gradient effect. you will definitely see colour contours.
( unless you use a grey-scale palette)
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:03 am

I also have a TT machine, with a VME et4000 graphics card. It runs in 256 colours too but looks shockingly better.

This is Xaaes/Thing, applied with Zview: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6vqg ... TZnT1lXUGc

How can this be explained? Both are 256 colours.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:31 am

Your src. jpg image is just too bad for this purpose. It is too dark, noisy, low contrast. And all you need is 2 color pic.
AtariLogo2col.jpg

Same, in bmp format:
AtariLogo2col.zip

If you don't like background color, you can edit it in some paint program.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:12 pm

mzry wrote:I also have a TT machine, with a VME et4000 graphics card. It runs in 256 colours too but looks shockingly better.

This is Xaaes/Thing, applied with Zview: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6vqg ... TZnT1lXUGc

How can this be explained? Both are 256 colours.

How can you explain, in your original photo, on bottom it more dark than on top and in this screenshot it is invert?

The ET4000 run in 256 colors or in TC?

Please open in your configuration an other true color photo (with a lot of color please) in zview to see desktop and photo in same time.
OL

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:29 am

On the ET4000 photo, you can make out the copyright mark. You cannot on the Falcon. It is being "dither" away.
My guess is, the 256 colour on the ET4000 , are matched better than what was done on the Falcon and it does not need to dither.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”