Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Gaiyan
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

NetUSBee troubles

Postby Gaiyan » Tue May 09, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi,

I'm supposed to be an expert in this field but I can't get this bloody thing to work at all. I just got my NetUSBee today from Lotharek. I've tried Sting, MagicNet and MiNTNet. I'd rather use MiNTNet.

Anyway, here's my setup so far.

TT030
Fresh VanillaMint
ENEC3.XIF in C:\MINT\1-19-CUR\ it shows up at boot as en0 and get's a MAC address
ifconfig shows that en0 is up "inet 192.168.1.30 net mask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255" just like it's supposed to
route is good: default 192.168.1.1 en0

Link is up on the device and switch

Nothing works though! I can't ping or anything. Sting didn't work either. I'm beginning to think that this is cactus. HELP!

Gaiyan
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: NetUSBee troubles

Postby Gaiyan » Tue May 09, 2017 1:13 pm

I've tried a different cable, bypassed the switch directly to router nothing.

I tried Sting again. Nothing. I can ping myself but not outside. My IP is set right. My route.tab is:

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 EtherNet 192.168.1.1

It's cactus.

Gaiyan
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gaiyan » Tue May 09, 2017 1:34 pm

uIP tool doesn’t work it says:

uIP tool, version 43
RTL8019 init .. MAC: 0:0:0:0:0:0
DHCP: (just blinks)

When I press a button, it disappears.

Gaiyan
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gaiyan » Tue May 09, 2017 1:38 pm

I've emailed Lotharek and he's been in contact. If any of you have ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Meanwhile I'll be installing Thunder + Storm :D

I'll take a look at the cartridge port and fuse at the same time.

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Tue May 09, 2017 1:43 pm

With Sting you have to be very careful editing route.tab - whitespace matters, eol matters.
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

Gaiyan
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gaiyan » Tue May 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Yeah, no problems there.

I'll try my MSTE when I'm done installing Thunder + Storm

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Tue May 09, 2017 2:41 pm

IT seems that the MAC address is not set on the chip. The NetUSBee when it comes from Lotharek is supposed to already have a MAC set.
If your MAC is not set the switch/router will not know to which MAC to send packets and that's probably why it doesn't work even though everything is up.
In MiNT, if you do a ifconfig en0, what MAC do you see, If it's all 00:00:00:00:00:00 that would confirm that this is indeed the issue.
The NetUSBee should have an eeprom on it that contains the MAC and I believe there is a tool to set it of it's not set : http://lotharek.pl/zasoby/produkty/73/pliki/setmac.prg

Try that and that might fix the issue
Rodolphe
Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator
MegaSTE 4MB + CosmosEx / 1040 STF for hardware dev
http://www.rti-zone.org/atari.php

Gaiyan
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gaiyan » Tue May 09, 2017 2:55 pm

rpineau wrote:IT seems that the MAC address is not set on the chip. The NetUSBee when it comes from Lotharek is supposed to already have a MAC set.
If your MAC is not set the switch/router will not know to which MAC to send packets and that's probably why it doesn't work even though everything is up.
In MiNT, if you do a ifconfig en0, what MAC do you see, If it's all 00:00:00:00:00:00 that would confirm that this is indeed the issue.
The NetUSBee should have an eeprom on it that contains the MAC and I believe there is a tool to set it of it's not set : http://lotharek.pl/zasoby/produkty/73/pliki/setmac.prg

Try that and that might fix the issue
Rodolphe

Thanks. No, the MAC is fine. It shows up on boot and also in ifconfig.

Thunder + Storm installed. NICE! I don't have an IDE device yet :( But the RAM is nice and fast.

Anyway I checked the rom port fuse and it was fine. I'll have to try the MSTE.

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Tue May 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Ok.
Next thing would be , if you have a managed switch (I use Cisco and Arista switches), to check if the port goes in errdisable on the switch and if it does what is the reason for this.
At this point as it fails with multiple TCP/IP stack and other tools it's most probably a hardware issue like a bad chip, bad RJ45 plug or bad MAC even if present, also .. I assume you checked the cable :) .
Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator
MegaSTE 4MB + CosmosEx / 1040 STF for hardware dev
http://www.rti-zone.org/atari.php

Gaiyan
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gaiyan » Tue May 09, 2017 3:41 pm

rpineau wrote:Ok.
Next thing would be , if you have a managed switch (I use Cisco and Arista switches), to check if the port goes in errdisable on the switch and if it does what is the reason for this.
At this point as it fails with multiple TCP/IP stack and other tools it's most probably a hardware issue like a bad chip, bad RJ45 plug or bad MAC even if present, also .. I assume you checked the cable :) .

Unfortunately no managed switches here. I've tried different cables and network devices

Weirdness continues. I tried my MSTE.

uIP tool works. It assigns a MAC: 00:0a:77:e4:a0:9e and browser window thingy works fine.
Sting STILL doesn't work but gets a MAC: f4:04:02:31:2e:31
SetMAC.prg assigns a MAC: 00:de:be:7d:af:f4

I'm going crazy.

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Tue May 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Okay try:
1. Make sure you have the correct ENEC3.XIF, the Assamsoft driver seems to be the very best. If you use Assamsoft your port will be ne0 not en0. (http://assemsoft.atari.org/ne2k/index.html)
2. Use the Vanillamint network setup utility only, don't mess with mac address stuff.
3. profit

Also note uiptool does not work inside mint, only TOS.

Gaiyan
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gaiyan » Tue May 09, 2017 4:00 pm

mzry wrote:Okay try:
1. Make sure you have the correct ENEC3.XIF, the Assamsoft driver seems to be the very best. If you use Assamsoft your port will be ne0 not en0. (http://assemsoft.atari.org/ne2k/index.html)
2. Use the Vanillamint network setup utility only, don't mess with mac address stuff.
3. profit

Also note uiptool does not work inside mint, only TOS.

Oh, come here and I'll give you a big hug! That was it! ENEC3.XIF didn't work at all. NE2KENEC.XIF and ne0 did the trick. Thanks!

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Tue May 09, 2017 4:04 pm

:) Thanks for the hug, lol

Gaiyan
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gaiyan » Tue May 09, 2017 4:51 pm

Still, even though it works, it doesn't explain why uIP tool won't work on the TT in TOS. Or why Sting won't work with ENEC3.STX on either machine. Hmm. But Litchi works, transfer files, resolves domain names. I'm happy. Although no idea why my own FTP won't list files from my Synology NAS. Works from any other device including Aranym.

trecool
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby trecool » Thu May 11, 2017 6:57 pm

For running uIP tool, make sure you are not loading any tcp/ip stack.
Just boot on plain TOS.

susher
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby susher » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:39 pm

I've a Netusbee Lite which works on ST(e)s but not on my TT, giving the same issues with UIP.

HT2ENEC.TOS is returning the correct MAC address though.

susher
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby susher » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Having done more cleaning of the cartridge port netus.tos now passes the diagnostics.

However UIPtool doesn't work and I think that I've found out why, having looked at the source code. It's using hard-coded timing loops!

On a MegaSTE this probably doesn't matter too much as it'll only halve the time that the loops take but on the TT the 68030 will run through these increadibly quickly as not only will they fit in the cache but will be pipelined. No-wonder it doesn't work!

Now, to see if I can get STing to work... Not managed it so far this afternoon.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”