Has anyone tried Gotek on the Falcon?

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Has anyone tried Gotek on the Falcon?

Postby mikro » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:45 am

I have and it doesn't work. :-( The same drive, same jumpers (MO, S0), same USB stick and all I get is A: not responding (even though the access LED, on both Gotek and keyboard) goes on and off after a while so something is happening.

BlankVector
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Has anyone tried Gotek on the Falcon?

Postby BlankVector » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:01 am

Gotek drives can have several firmwares. I have a Gotek drive equipped with HxC firmware. I use it on Amiga hardware to read *.adf and *.st files directly from USB sticks, it just works fine (including with EmuTOS for Amiga). However, I never tried it on Atari hardware. It should just work equally well after proper configuration, there are many settings.

If your Gotek is not equipped with HxC firmware, you can buy that firmware for 10 € on the HxC store. Then you can find free updates on the main HxC page (look for "USB Stick STM32 HxC Floppy Emulator").

If you have any question regarding to the HxC firmware, you can ask on the HxC forum.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:42 am

Of course I meant with Atari (HxC) firmware. :-) It works on the ST, that's why I'm asking.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:19 pm

In which mode is it configured to boot? It boots directly an image? Or it boots the HxC menu software? If the latter, I don't know if it's Falcon compatible.

BlankVector
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BlankVector » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:06 pm

There are many options in "SD HxC Floppy Emulator settings". Specially, Drive A mode: Atari ST HD, or even Custom. Might help.

Robson
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Robson » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:01 pm

I have one and using it all the time when a falcon is being installed. Never had such a problem. If no image selected it boots into hxc menu over hdd. If image is selected hdd boots first and floppy is available under os as normal. However mint is fussy about few images. shows no files but tos or magic are ok with same file.
------------------------------------------------
http://www.tercsirobi.byethost14.com

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:10 am

ijor wrote:In which mode is it configured to boot? It boots directly an image? Or it boots the HxC menu software? If the latter, I don't know if it's Falcon compatible.

I tried both (the disk counting mode and the auto manager mode), same result. I guess I'll deep into the settings now + I've posted my question on the HxC forum as well.

Robson: so you just copied the CFG file for the manager to USB stick, didn't change anything, inserted into Gotek, boot and that was it?

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:33 am

mikro wrote:I tried both (the disk counting mode and the auto manager mode), same result.

Long shot, but how are you powering the Gotek? Internally from the Falcon or with an external USB? The floppy interface is extremely sensitive to proper grounding. If you are using external power try using internal.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:39 am

OK, mystery solved. Discussion in the STFM thread (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31262) has brought me to the idea that what if I need to "revert the reverted" cable, since it's a HD floppy? And voila, really:

IMG_20170305_123626.jpg

(please note how "wrong" the connector is -- the plastic "bump" is supposed to be on the bottom side!)

So on the ST/E you must flip the cable while on the Falcon it must stay as is, even though it looks wrong. What a mess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robson
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Robson » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:59 am

Where is this falcon board from? I think this might be a replacement FDD cable installed the wrong way around, on original falcon the red marked ribbon should be on top, matching the markings of pcb. Check the pcb/motherboard at connector. It should read 1-2 on top.
This is probably why it's tricked you.
http://www.tercsirobi.byethost14.com

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:56 am

Robson, I think you're right -- you can see it even on the photo, there are traces of a glue near the connector so yeah, perhaps somebody replaced it in the past. Maybe exactly for this reason, not to twist the cable. Interesting.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:37 am

Also line up the cable red-line with pin 1.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

MacFalcon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MacFalcon » Tue May 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Gotek with Gotek Firmware also runs fine on the Falcon... It's plug and play... but no disk images work afaik.

Best regards,

Chris
Falcon060, 100/25 MHz, 256 MB SD-RAM, PhantomPBS, CTPCI with Radeon, USB and Network Card. atari rulez!

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Tue May 09, 2017 10:12 pm

MacFalcon wrote:Gotek with Gotek Firmware also runs fine on the Falcon... It's plug and play... but no disk images work afaik.

What do you mean? It works perfectly for me (since my discovery about twisted cable). I can use any disk images I like (with stuff which is Falcon compatible, of course).

MacFalcon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MacFalcon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:22 am

I can only access "real Files" e.g. I copied from PC.
Falcon060, 100/25 MHz, 256 MB SD-RAM, PhantomPBS, CTPCI with Radeon, USB and Network Card. atari rulez!

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:33 am

Hmm, I'm trying to decide if I should A) replace my HxC with a Gotek for native .ST files, or B) actually get around to putting my CosmosEx into my Falcon. I even ordered the cable to use the SCSI from the external port, but it looks kind of ugly going from outside in... Good to know the Gotek works though.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:32 pm

IMHO, Gotek+Atari firmware is the way to go for the Falcon. I have a CE in my STE, where it does exactly what it is supposed to do -- making my life easier ;), in the Falcon I could use it, sure, but I have other things which makes it not so necessary (PARCP-USB, hard disk, network card), only disk drive would annoy me.

So for me it's more than enough to have the Gotek in Falcon although I agree some super-special disk images may work better with Gotek than with CE.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:00 am

Hmm, currently in my Falcon I have the CT60e, NetUSBee, HxC Floppy drive and a 120gb IDE SSD drive. I do still have the stock drive in my 1040STe, but then I wouldn't want to carve up the beauty that is the STe case to try to fit in a Gotek, especially as I just put it back together in a working order. Seems lately anytime I take one of my Atari's apart, I end up putting it back together with disconnected wire so I think I just fried something! In the case of the 1040STe, it was one of the wires to the PSU and the sound wasn't working....
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:32 am

leech wrote:I wouldn't want to carve up the beauty that is the STe case to try to fit in a Gotek

I have CE installed with my STE case totally intact.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:46 pm

You have the ACSI interface connected and everything? Since I didn't want to cut mine up, I've got a TOS switch dangling through where the mouse/joystick ports are, I even managed to f it the original metal shell over Chris's PSU replacement. That thing is a big fatty.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:05 am

Yup, the DMA cable is thin enough to close the case (although it obviously doesn't look 100% professional). I also have Chris's PSU and all metal shieldings. :)

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”