Firing up the TT030 after 15 Years

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Shutterspeed
Atarian
Atarian

Firing up the TT030 after 15 Years

Postby Shutterspeed » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Somethings are hard to part with and this has been sitting around for the past 15 or more years. I used to be a master at all the hardware issues with the ST, MegaST, TT030 and Falcon because I used it professionally in medical implant design SQL databases (RegentBase). I tried to fire up the old TT030 and all I heard were grunts and grinds from the hard drive. I ordered a new hard drive from Best Electronics, and it didn't fire up also. A quick call to Best Electronics and it was quickly diagnosed as a power supply issue so I ordered a new TT power supply.

After installing the power supply the TT purred like a kitten and everything worked, including my old removable SyQuest drive. Best Electronics said I should keep the new Maxtor 340 and copy over original TT hard drive to it as soon as possible because the original drives did not have long lives. I actually have an old ICD hard drive box but there seems to be cut wires and missing items in it. Can I hook up my new Maxtor inside my SyQuest case (disconnect the SyQuest drive) and use that SCSI interface to access the new drives so I can copy all the files and programs from the original drive to the new one? I know I have to move some jumper on the new drive because it is setup to be a boot drive. Does anyone know what I should do?

Thanks'
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bama
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Firing up the TT030 after 15 Years

Postby Bama » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:18 am

Hello Jim,

Welcome back!

Quick answer = yes, probably. Don't forget your SCSI basics, (ID, and termination.)

Quick question before you swap syquest for maxtor: any reason not to back up to the syquest? It may avoid extra work.
:-)
BAMA

Shutterspeed
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Shutterspeed » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:40 am

I didn't even think of that! Then swap out the original for the Maxtor and copy it back!

mikro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mikro » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:24 am

Sure you can exchange the drives. About the jumper settings, usually no jumper means ID0 = good to boot but it may vary. It helps if you have a hard disk driver also on a floppy disk, that will give you much better chances to get everything working on the first or second try. :)

Bama

Postby Bama » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi Jim,

Looking forward to hearing about your progress.
:-)
BAMA

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”