Kyeboard problem in MiNT

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Kyeboard problem in MiNT

Postby jury » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:55 pm

My Easymint installation ( quite new, I had it only few months and not done in it almost anything yet ) probobly got seroiusly broken and its going down even more.
First Xaaes stopped starting:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31084
And since yesterday I have a strange keybord issue, when I start TOS all is fine, keybord works OK, but if I start MiNT ( GEM=ROM or GEM=path_to_xaaes/xaloader.prg ) its like pressing space key forever. I tried 2 different eiffels and 2 different PS/2 keyboards and its the same, so I guess no hardware issue with eiffel or keyboard.
When I set "Init step by step" during MiNT loading to maybe see some strange error message I noticed that after first 3 "Hit a key to continue" its stops asking this anymore and loads the rest in a normal ( not step by step ) mode. So it looks like after this 3 step something happens which starts pressing space key.
So the 3rd step says:

"Resident TOS Version 4.04 ( FalconTOS )
Kbshft 0x00001887
Bios bconmap() present"

And after this step, when the normal loading starts, there is:

"Initializing system components:
Core ( 14MB ) lost ( 13KB )
Alt 256MB
realloc_region: reg=0, newsize -somebunchofnumbers
realloc_region: reg is null
This system features XHDI level 1.30 ( kerinfo rejected )
*****WARNING******
This software contains strong cryptography"

and so on untill desktop loads. But is unusable because of those endless space keypressings.

Now, when I turn the Memory Protection, all the Step by Step loading goes as it should. That means that it doesnt start normal loading after 3rd step and I have to do a keypress after each step until the last one and the space key doesnt go crazy and the keyboard seems to work fine.
So it looks like someting in 4th step of MiNT loading goes mad if memory protection is off.
Any ideas?

A movie with this 'step by step' MiNT loading phase:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yzy8UHbWxg

helmut
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Kyeboard problem in MiNT

Postby helmut » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:45 pm

Did you update your kernel to the latest version?

I experienced this key-repeat on my TT also, related to NVDI/memory-protection, whatever.

You can edit mint.ini manually, and avoid touching the keyboard during boot.
With the current build you can log the boot-process into a file, maybe easier to inspect.

This key-repeat-thing has to be fixed though (if it still happens). Will look tonight.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:16 pm

No, I haven't updated the kernel. Its the one thats in Easymint 1.9
uname -a says:
FreeMiNT easymint 1.19a 4.4

Typed "atari freemint kernel download" in google, but all that it pointed me was to sparemint website where 1.17.0 resides to download. So could you please supply a link where I could download the latest version? Unless I have to compile one myself, then I would need some instructions on how to do it on Linux box :)

Edit:
But the strange is, that the keyboard worked fine for last couple of months since I installed Easymint 1.9

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:24 pm

... look at -> freemint.org
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

helmut
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby helmut » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:27 pm

http://www.freemint.org/builds/freemint
ON linux you should be able to extract these.
Maybe the easymint-kernel has the boot-log-feature already, don't know. Should be the last entry in mint.ini.

BlankVector
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BlankVector » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:48 pm

jury wrote:And since yesterday I have a strange keybord issue, when I start TOS all is fine, keybord works OK, but if I start MiNT ( GEM=ROM or GEM=path_to_xaaes/xaloader.prg ) its like pressing space key forever.

Which hardware?

This bug can happen if a key was in pressed state at the time that FreeMiNT starts. Typically, on cold boot, you pressed Space to bypass the TOS memory test. Then that Space key keeps stuck, repeating forever.

The solution is to tap a key quickly to bypass the memory test, so it is released before FreeMiNT starts.

IIRC, this problem has been fixed long ago in EmuTOS.

helmut
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby helmut » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:11 pm

I just rebooted my TT with and without memory-protection in step-by-step-mode, and could not observe any key-repeat-issue. So I can't do anything. Please try the latest kernel (trunk and mine), and report back.

helmut
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby helmut » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:12 pm

I just rebooted my TT with and without memory-protection in step-by-step-mode, and could not observe any key-repeat-issue. So I can't do anything. Please try the latest kernel (trunk and mine), and report back.

Sorry for the dupe - the forum fooled me.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:37 pm

jury wrote:...but if I start MiNT ( GEM=ROM or GEM=path_to_xaaes/xaloader.prg ) its like pressing space key forever.

This is on a CT60, right? So you're using FireTOS. I have the exact same problem as you describe with FireTOS on my FireBee. The "solution" is to have a speaker connected so I can hear the keyclicks. If the keyboard gets stuck during boot I quickly tap a key (usually SPACE) to cancel the "stuck" key. This "fixes" the problem.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:53 am

Sorry for late reply but I was not at my falcon lately.
Nope, I'm not using FireTOS, its standard TOS which came from Atari manufacture ( 4.04 ) + patches from CT6x TOS 1.03c

helmut wrote:I just rebooted my TT with and without memory-protection in step-by-step-mode, and could not observe any key-repeat-issue. So I can't do anything. Please try the latest kernel (trunk and mine), and report back.

Yesterday I tried the latest kernel and yeap, its working fine in case of space key - no more space key repeats going forever.
But now I get "Bus error"s quite regularly. When I will have more time I will restore the kernel from backup to know if Bus errors are still occurring.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”