Screenblaster Wiring

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., lp, [ProToS], Moderator Team

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Screenblaster Wiring

Postby Atari030 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:21 pm

G'day all. I've reached the point of needing my screenblaster II up and running, unfortunately the 15 pin connector (joystick port) has seen better days and will need to be replaced. Does anyone have a wiring guide for the cable on this old thing?

SoundDoctor
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Screenblaster Wiring

Postby SoundDoctor » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:58 pm

I found this in the DOITF030 archive :

Joypad Anschlußpin ScreenBlaster Signal Falcon Chip
-------------------------------------------------------
Pin 1 Pad A U61 Pin 8 U66 Pin 9 Data
Pin 2 Pad A U61 Pin 6 U66 Pin 6 Data
Pin 3 Pad A U61 Pin 4 U66 Pin 5 Data
Pin 4 Pad A U61 Pin 2 U66 Pin 2 Data
Pin 7 Pad A +5 Vcc
Pin 9 Pad A GND

Pin 1 Pad B U61 Pin 17 U66 Pin 19 Data
Pin 2 Pad B U61 Pin 15 U66 Pin 16 Data
Pin 3 Pad B U61 Pin 13 U66 Pin 15 Data
Pin 4 Pad B U61 Pin 11 U66 Pin 12 Data
Pin 7 Pad B +5 Vcc
Pin 9 Pad B GND

It looks like the SBII uses the Joypad Up0/Down0/Left0/Right0 (Pad A), Up1/Down1/Left1/Right1 (Pad B) data lines.

I'm guessing here as I've never opened up a SB2 but it looks like U61 and U66 would be a chip of some sort (Hex inverter?). I have to say the table above is as clear as mud to me as I've never seen the SB2 internals. Post a pic of the SB2 board, it'll be easier to make sense of the table with a visual reference -and it may be of use to someone else one day.

Now, maybe pin 1 of the DB15 connects to both U61 Pin 8 and U61 Pin 17 - but where do U66 pins 9 and 19 come into the equation - who knows?

Best o luck!
TT030 4mb/16mb/1Gb, Coco. Falcon 030 Stock 14mb (Lynxman), 1Gb CF. Falcon 030 Stock 14mb (Atari) 170mb IDE. Mega 1 (mash up labelled Mega 4) 4mb (Frontier XtraRam w/ SIPPs) ICD ADSpeed ST OverScan. Mega 4 (currently dead), Mega 2, 520 STe (SIPPs), 520 STFM.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:20 pm

fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atari030 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:24 pm

Sweet, thanks guys. I should be able to nut it out from that. I didn't realise doit was online. I might not need to open it up, SD, but if I do I'll post pics.

Many thanks.

Just looking, it looks like I'll have to buzz the two broken pins out. Don't want 5v in the wrong pin.

SoundDoctor
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby SoundDoctor » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:47 am

Atari030 wrote:Sweet, thanks guys. I should be able to nut it out from that. I didn't realise doit was online. I might not need to open it up, SD, but if I do I'll post pics.

Many thanks.

Just looking, it looks like I'll have to buzz the two broken pins out. Don't want 5v in the wrong pin.

I always thought it only pulled the +5v from the Joystick port and the 'clever' bit was in the Videl switching between the internal ad external clocks but it looks like there's some logic going on using the joystick port. TBH the doit info is a wee bit 'foggy' in suggesting there are two DB15 connectors which obviously there aren't.
TT030 4mb/16mb/1Gb, Coco. Falcon 030 Stock 14mb (Lynxman), 1Gb CF. Falcon 030 Stock 14mb (Atari) 170mb IDE. Mega 1 (mash up labelled Mega 4) 4mb (Frontier XtraRam w/ SIPPs) ICD ADSpeed ST OverScan. Mega 4 (currently dead), Mega 2, 520 STe (SIPPs), 520 STFM.

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atari030 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:41 am

I think I get it, those pin outs appear to be for internal wiring. A quick google translate;

Screen Blaster - resolution Expansion

The Screen Blaster there for the Atari Falcon F030 for some time.
There is the device as an external version which is plugged between F030 and a monitor adapter. Similarly, one can get a version for internal installation. The external connector version no soldering incurred during which the internal version, the module should be installed by people with soldering experience.

A table with a part of the achievable video resolutions.

Resolution color Hor.Khz Vert. Khz interlaced

800 * 608 2-4 48 77 no
1280 * 960 2-4 31 64 interlace
1152 * 832 16 38 87 interlace
1024 * 656 16 42 61
720 * 512 256 38 70
800 * 608 256 35 55
800 * 408 256 15 60 interlace
800 * 576 TC 15 50 interlace
480 * 400 TC 30 72
480 * 480 TC 30 58

All settings are made easily with a GEM software in both Screen Blaster models. For this purpose there is a video mode generator in which one should as far as possible precisely to adjust the data to its VGA / SVGA or MultiSync monitor.

But it also runs e.g. Videlity Titan Design LTD problems with this hardware

The Screen Blaster software does not allow for exceeding or falling below the input monitor frequencies under normal circumstances. The SBIII software provides a safeguard here. On the disk are on a variety of monitor types already some presets that can easily be adapted to individual needs.

It is important that we note that each monitor different horizontal and vertical frequencies required. here are the areas grossly exceeded are not excluded damage to the monitor hardware. The Screen Blaster software therefore provide protections that you also should not be turned off, although this is possible with a mouse click.

The external SB hardware is easily installed by plugging the monitor connector of the Falcons. The DB15 at the end of the ribbon cable comes in one of two Paddleport jacks on the left side of the F030. In which of your choice is left. My SBIII plugged into port "B" since I use Paddleport "A" for a JAGUAR pad and a teletext decoder. The pin assignment of the ribbon cable of the external screen Blaster module is as follows:

Joypad connection pin Screen Blaster Falcon signal chip
-------------------------------------------------- -----
Pin 1 Pad A U61 U66 Pin 8 Pin 9 Data
Pin 2 Pad A U61 U66 pin 6 pin 6 Data
Pin 3 Pad A U61 U66 Pin 4 Pin 5 Data
Pin 4 Pad A U61 U66 Pin 2 Pin 2 Data
Pin 7 Pad A +5 Vcc
Pin 9 GND pad A

Pin 1 Pad B U61 U66 pin 17 pin 19 Data
Pin 2 Pad B U61 U66 pin 15 pin 16 Data
Pin 3 Pad B U61 U66 pin 13 pin 15 Data
Pin 4 Pad B U61 U66 pin 11 pin 12 Data
Pin 7 Pad B +5 Vcc
Pin 9 GND pad B

Figure 1 - Screen Blaster III external module

The internal screen Blaster module can only be fitted with four soldering points in Falcon F030. Unfortunately, this is Unmissable. For this purpose, the computer has to be opened, power supply and floppy drive remain this at your place. The internal IDE hard disk must be unscrewed. Note here please that will not damage the ribbon cable. Some solder joints for the module are located under the mounting bracket of the hard drive. The Getting Screen Blaster is at this section under point 5 that you should remove the cable of IDE disk from the hard disk or the Falco board. The IDE cable was unfortunately soldered in an F030 with the motherboard, I advise only easy to draw! Very quickly the card-edge connector by pulling on the line ruppiges damaged. The IDE disk is not working correctly. You therefore always pull the cord into the hard drive itself from! Mark up before the position of the plug simply use a felt marker!

Read all installation steps in your ScreenBlasterIII Guide to!

There are soldered to the main board of the Falcon for the internal module four lines. Note here the exact designations and the polarity of these components!

Look in any position to clean soldering!
Only then can a safe operation can be ensured.
Take time for installation!

The individual solder points of the internal screen Blasters

Solder wire color signal component Pin

A GND Elko C147 -
B +5 volts Elko C147 +
C Videl SMD IC U34 pin 14
D ACIA IC6850 U52 pin 5

Also note the images in SBIII manual!
The line which the VIDEL pin 14 leads should be kept relatively short to avoid interference. Avoid mechanical train on this line. The solder on VIDEL would tear and thus damage the board. Solder, if possible rather at the protection paint scrape for this purpose only Hair fine on VIDEL chip before the connection pin on the conductor path a little. If the first test successfully fix this solder best with wax or even a drop of hot glue. That's the safest way.

In both installations, internal or external to the computer after turning it on just as usual report with the desktop. If he does not you probably have separated the pin 14 of VIDEL of the interconnect. Only after the software is installed, according to a new boot process, the new, higher screen resolutions are available.

Figure 2 - Screen Blaster III internal module

Should not report the Falcon you turn the power off immediately.
Check all your steps that you should also have read the manual. Align their attention mainly on pin 14 from VIDEL.

The software for both modules is very clear and can be explained almost by itself. Every newfound mode can be tested within the SBIII software without each new boats have to. This is a very convenient way to set up his screen.

SBIII cooperate at all times with the SM124 and compatible devices. Similarly, the SM1224 is supported as an RGB monitor. For many of the usual VGA, SVGA and MultiSync monitors are supplied with the software already some useful Video Settings. TV sets or Genlocks may also be used.
Make it embarrassing that you specify exactly the specifications with SB_MONI.PRG are, see the manual of the corresponding monitor.

False information can here quickly lead to the destruction of the monitor! Modern VGA monitors have usually a protection circuit which should protect them from the dreaded fuming the flyback transformer. It is left to just not be a factor.

Back up all settings as BackUp.

The Screen Blaster is a very useful extension for Falcon F030. Which version whatsoever, easily Installable and Clearly.

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atari030 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:21 am

I had my typical run of good luck, the two broken wires appear to be "up" and "5v" so I have a 50-50 chance without opening it.

There are 5 wires, not 6 as doit suggests. However, ground will be common on the video port and enhanced joystick ports so I guess it is right anyway.

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atari030 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:09 pm

Finally got time to fix it, and the lad got to build his first crystal radio too. Silly thing was I found some diagrams in the manual I'd written down a decade ago on how to rewire it AFTER I fixed it. Doh. All up and running, now I just have remember how to drive the thing. :-) 800x600 looks lovely on the LCD, but I'll have a crack at native LCD resolutions.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”