Poll to know people's Falcon configuration

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Which is your Falcon hardware configuration?

4 MB ST RAM stock Falcon
10%
14 MB ST RAM stock Falcon
43%
Nemesis/Phantom and similar accelerator mods (68030 boost)+4 MB ST RAM
2%
Nemesis/Phantom and similar accelerator mods (68030 boost)+14 MB ST RAM
7%
Centurbo's accelerators+4MB RAM
No votes
Centurbo's accelerators+14MB RAM
6%
CT60/CT63+4 ST RAM
1%
CT60/CT63+14 ST RAM
8%
CT60/CT63+14 ST RAM+ati or qqsupervidel
24%

Total votes: 122

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Poll to know people's Falcon configuration

Postby qq1975b » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:12 am

Other configurations:

Afterburner+4MB ST RAM+ATI: 2

Hi,

The idea of this poll is to know people's Falcon hardware configuration. In the Nemesis/Phantom line goes all similar mods to boost the Falcon's 68030 mhz and/or bus boost. If you have more than one Falcon...just the powerful one that I suppose it is the one you use more often.

Thanks! :)

Here will be the space for other configurations that aren't on the poll. If they are close to one of the poll, please submit the closest entry. If it is very different, tell me and I will write it down here (68040,...)

I suppose those that have more than the stock 4MB Falcon have a 68882 plugged.
Last edited by qq1975b on Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Trying to learn...

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Poll to know people's Falcon configuration

Postby Dal » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:46 pm

Put the closest to my config. I have phantom and CT63 installed.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:22 pm

:thumbs:

Consider it close to a CT60.
Trying to learn...

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Would be good to extend the poll to find out who has 68882s, 68040s and FastRAM. For the sake of knowing what to support, if nothing else. :)

Would also be interesting to see what bus/cpu clock combinations people have but these polls are probably not ideal for that.

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:13 am

Maybe a poll for hard drives would be a interesting one aswell ?
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:28 am

The problem is that the poll accepts only 10 entries.
The main idea is to know how much ST ram people have and which processor, so if someone wants to program something for the Falcon, he can know the main target Falcon configuration.

But, if people that have other configurations tell me, I will write them on the first post. In that case they don't have to submit any option of the poll.
Trying to learn...

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:20 pm

14MB stock Falcon with FPU here but I'd always try to target a 4MB stock Falcon anyway. There must be a classic memory limit challenge left ;)
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:24 pm

There is no Afterburner in this poll...
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:23 pm

joska wrote:There is no Afterburner in this poll...

Yes, sorry... I can't modify the poll because it will erase all the stored votes.

I will write it down on the first post if you tell me your configuration: Afterburner+14ST RAM?
Trying to learn...

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:57 pm

Afterburner + 4Mb ST-RAM.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:22 pm

Afterburner + 4MB STRam + 16MB fast RAM + Eclipse w/ ATI Rage II + netbusbee + HxC Floppy Emulator + 4GB compact flash + pico psu
Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator
MegaSTE 4MB + CosmosEx / 1040 STF for hardware dev
http://www.rti-zone.org/atari.php

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:32 pm

^
^^

I notice that you both have AfterBurner and 4 MB of ST-Ram. Is it possible to have 14MB of ST-Ram with AB?
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:04 pm

calimero wrote:^
^^

I notice that you both have AfterBurner and 4 MB of ST-Ram. Is it possible to have 14MB of ST-Ram with AB?

Yes. but as the STRam is mostly for video and DMA ... I don't need 14MB
Regards, Rodolphe
Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator
MegaSTE 4MB + CosmosEx / 1040 STF for hardware dev
http://www.rti-zone.org/atari.php

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:50 pm

calimero wrote:I notice that you both have AfterBurner and 4 MB of ST-Ram. Is it possible to have 14MB of ST-Ram with AB?

You can. But I have a graphics card, like Rodolphe and every other AB owner I know. And only the Eclipse can work with 14Mb ST-RAM. Also, why bother when you have 64Mb fast-RAM :) So I think most AB-owners will have "only" 4Mb ST-RAM.
Jo Even

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:54 pm

An ATI too? I will update the first post.
Trying to learn...

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:09 pm

Yes, Eclipse with ATI Rage 2.
Jo Even

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:26 pm

joska wrote:You can. But I have a graphics card, like Rodolphe and every other AB owner I know. And only the Eclipse can work with 14Mb ST-RAM. Also, why bother when you have 64Mb fast-RAM :) So I think most AB-owners will have "only" 4Mb ST-RAM.

I have a 40MHz Afterburner + 14MB but no video card! I borrowed one for a short period to work on projects but had to give it back :) That machine is sleeping just now in storage while I wait endlessly to move house...

For testing projects I always use a stock F030 with 14MB or 4MB if necessary (by swapping cards).

toryu
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby toryu » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:46 am

simonsunnyboy wrote:14MB stock Falcon with FPU here but I'd always try to target a 4MB stock Falcon anyway. There must be a classic memory limit challenge left ;)

this! except this 14mb limit :D
16 colors are enough for this ****** up world

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:45 am

Dal wrote:Put the closest to my config. I have phantom and CT63 installed.

Hi Dal,

Just to know (and maybe other users with Phantom/Nemesis can answer too). Is this configuration Phantom+CT63 working rock stable when Phantom is activated?
Trying to learn...

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:31 pm

I can't speak for Nemesis as it's a slightly different beast, but the Phantom works very well with the CT and I have it on pretty much all the time.

As with all these bus accelerators, stability is more down to the quality of the installation than anything else. Simbo put together a thread somewhere where he talks about using shielded cables and ensuring they are as short as possible so as to limit the amount of RF interference.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:30 pm

I had a nemesis for a while, but took it out soon after as "back in the day" I was getting reports of it killing Falcons. I never found out exactly what blew, but I took mine out to be on the safe side. I never got it to run stable at 24mhz, though it seemed ok at 20mhz. Even so, I brought my falcon brand new at the time and didn't want to risk killing it.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:31 am

exxos wrote:I had a nemesis for a while, but took it out soon after as "back in the day" I was getting reports of it killing Falcons. I never found out exactly what blew, but I took mine out to be on the safe side. I never got it to run stable at 24mhz, though it seemed ok at 20mhz. Even so, I brought my falcon brand new at the time and didn't want to risk killing it.

There was definitely a risk while installing the board - lots of wires to solder, and definite cases of accidentally shorting points on the board while powered up - mainly on the first power-up after fitting. Some requiring critical ICs to be replaced. The fact that there were separate clock feeds to Videl, DMA, FPU and other places just increased the risk of an accident.

I'm not aware of it destroying machines *after* it was installed and working, but I suppose it is possible. I'm just not aware of that.

I had 2 machines with Nemesis fitted - one removed and replaced a few times with different configurations / clocks, and improved wiring. The machines still work fine today.

OTOH I don't want to discount any bad experiences people really had in this respect! But it would be a pity if some remain knocking around and unused for fear of destruction, if the problems were actually at installation-time.

(...and no, I didn't get involved in the design or building of the thing! That was done by Peter Green. I really stuck to software stuff ;) )

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:42 am

I think Nemesis got installed on a lot of machines, no doubt there are still ones running today. Though I never found out why the boards stopped working. Even when put back to a stock machine they refused to work. Problems always seemed to be after it has been installed for a few months of otherwise working fine. I have a feeling there was some regulators on the falcon which would blow when stressed for a while, though never had a duff falcon to diagnose the problem. It could be some variations of the falcon which do not work well with Nemesis. It could be anything really.

I liked being able to run in 20mhz, though on the games I used to play, the video was always messed up, so I had to run in stock 16mhz anyway. For me overall, it was a bit pointless having a faster speed. I have a CT60 now anyway ;)

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:35 pm

exxos wrote:I think Nemesis got installed on a lot of machines, no doubt there are still ones running today. Though I never found out why the boards stopped working. Even when put back to a stock machine they refused to work. Problems always seemed to be after it has been installed for a few months of otherwise working fine. I have a feeling there was some regulators on the falcon which would blow when stressed for a while, though never had a duff falcon to diagnose the problem. It could be some variations of the falcon which do not work well with Nemesis. It could be anything really.

I had a board which I think had been a 'Nemesis patient' - and I had trouble diagnosing it (black screen). Some work had to be done to reverse a buffer modification, restore cut tracks etc. and VIDEL was replaced as the high-risk candidate when installing Nemesis. The last thing I did was remove the GALs and re-seat them as a last resort (again - having done it near the beginning), and it began to work. A frustrating exercise overall but it seems to indicate the GAL sockets are a potential hazard and can get overlooked.

exxos wrote:I liked being able to run in 20mhz, though on the games I used to play, the video was always messed up, so I had to run in stock 16mhz anyway. For me overall, it was a bit pointless having a faster speed. I have a CT60 now anyway ;)

I mainly used it to get higher resolution 16bit colour on VGA. It was used at 20MHz with my Afterburner (CPU @ 40MHz)

I also followed Simbo's example using RF micro coax and got 27.5MHz bus to work, but only on a stock machine with 60ns ram. And after some time dots would start to appear on the display, which would only go away if the memory board was pressed slightly. Fun and games :)

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Just as a reminder
Trying to learn...

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”