- My "New" Atari TT and Upgrades -

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, lp, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: - My "New" Atari TT and Upgrades -

Postby lp » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:36 pm

The last drive in the SCSI chain is always terminated. Its a physical jumper on the drive itself.

Further reading about the TT's SCSI chain. http://gfa.atari-users.net/TT030/htm/hd.htm

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:41 pm

lp wrote:The last drive in the SCSI chain is always terminated. Its a physical jumper on the drive itself.

Further reading about the TT's SCSI chain. http://gfa.atari-users.net/TT030/htm/hd.htm

My board has no terminating resistors on it (Red in your pic?).

But it boots fine with the Seagate mech?
Shane

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Shane

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:57 pm

Different note, Simbo2 wondered about the motherboard revision:

Shane

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:17 pm

warp12 wrote:Today I took delivery of a beautiful Atari TT:

It really is a sight to behold. I recall lusting after one of these when they were new...but certainly could not afford one on my salary at the time. It is a 2/50 spec machine, with the 1.44 floppy. I have an 8mb ST ram board and a 16mb TT ram board to install. I also have a brand new, never opened, TTM195 monitor to try out. I also plan to install a larger HD very soon.

Looks absolutely fantastic! Let me know when you get bored with it and want to get rid of it! :wink:
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo MORE.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:54 pm

warp12 wrote:
lp wrote:The last drive in the SCSI chain is always terminated. Its a physical jumper on the drive itself.

My board has no terminating resistors on it (Red in your pic?).

But it boots fine with the Seagate mech?

Not surprised, my TT was shipped to me the same way with the resistors missing. Had no clue about that for a long time, but it worked. I keep a terminator block or a terminated device plugged in the external SCSI connector these days.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:45 am

The Atari TT has no Termpower for a terminator block plugged in the external SCSI connector ...

The internal HD provides Termpower to the SCSI Bus, so solder a wire from PIN_26 /internal 50pin SCSI Plug to PIN 25 /external SCSI Plug ...

or build this ... Image

Diode is 1N400x and a 1 Ampere SMD Fuse

fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:11 pm

frank.lukas wrote:The Atari TT has no Termpower for a terminator block plugged in the external SCSI connector ...

The internal HD provides Termpower to the SCSI Bus, so solder a wire from PIN_26 /internal 50pin SCSI Plug to PIN 25 /external SCSI Plug ...

or build this ...

Diode is 1N400x and a 1 Ampere SMD Fuse

That's a little more involved than I would like to get. I am checking with the Atari vendor to see if they have the resistors.

In the meantime, I found some online:

"Resistor Pack SIP Termination for SCSI, 221/331 8 pin 6 line, Pin 1 +5 volt and Pin 8 is ground, Pins 2 - 7 are signal in/out"

Are these the proper ones??
Shane

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:02 pm

warp12 wrote:That's a little more involved than I would like to get. I am checking with the Atari vendor to see if they have the resistors.

"Resistor Pack SIP Termination for SCSI, 221/331 8 pin 6 line, Pin 1 +5 volt and Pin 8 is ground, Pins 2 - 7 are signal in/out"

I just popped one out of a spare TT that happens to have the hard drive bay already off. The markings are as follows:
M8-5-221/331G 951

I'm not familiar with the marking on these things, but I suspect these will work.
This video was helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvXR7SWogUc

Not exactly sure if they have direction, although the one end has a bar printed on it. The machine I pulled it from had them inserted randomly, one of them appeared backwards. If unsure, put the bar to the side of the socket that has the white box printed on the PC board. Maybe someone else can clarify the orientation, if it matters.

My other spare TT had 10 pin sips, with 2 pins hanging off the side. Clearly someone has improvised. 8O

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:15 pm

lp wrote:
warp12 wrote:That's a little more involved than I would like to get. I am checking with the Atari vendor to see if they have the resistors.

I just popped one out of a spare TT that happens to have the hard drive bay already off. The markings are as follows:
M8-5-221/331G 951

I'm not familiar with the marking on these things, but I suspect these will work.
This video was helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvXR7SWogUc

Not exactly sure if they have direction, although the one end has a bar printed on it. The machine I pulled it from had them inserted randomly, one of them appeared backwards. If unsure, put the bar to the side of the socket that has the white box printed on the PC board. Maybe someone else can clarify the orientation, if it matters.

My other spare TT had 10 pin sips, with 2 pins hanging off the side. Clearly someone has improvised. 8O

I am waiting for the vendor to reply, but planning to order some of the resistors. I don't think this will be my last/only TT. :wink:
Shane

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:30 pm

warp12 wrote:I am waiting for the vendor to reply, but planning to order some of the resistors. I don't think this will be my last/only TT. :wink:

Who is this Atari vendor that you bought the TT from?
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo MORE.

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:34 pm

dhedberg wrote:
warp12 wrote:I am waiting for the vendor to reply, but planning to order some of the resistors. I don't think this will be my last/only TT. :wink:

Who is this Atari vendor that you bought the TT from?

I bought the TT from B&C. Took 2+ months for delivery, after payment, due to vendor issues, but worth the wait. The vendor has told me that he cannot supply another TT at this time, even with 3 months of lead time.

The Hard Disks were purchased from Best Electronics.
Shane

scarrabri
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby scarrabri » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:05 pm

Wow that is stunning ,it looks like new ,you are very lucky my friend and you could be in for a sleepless night lol best wishes Brian. :) :) :) :) :) :)
Atari STE
Atari ST
Typhoon cordless mouse
Ultrasatan 8 gb st card

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:16 pm

helmut wrote:
warp12 wrote:Another question...what are the best mouse options for a TT?

In one TT I use a serial mouse which needs a special driver:

http://storage.atari-source.org/atari/m ... 26beta.lzh

Works very well depending on the actual mouse you got.

-Helmut

I recall the serial mice. But It would be awesome if a true USB driver were developed. Can the TT provide the proper signals for USB? I think so...based on thread responses. How complicated is it to make drivers, if so? For kb and mouse, I am referring....
Shane

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:17 pm

scarrabri wrote:Wow that is stunning ,it looks like new ,you are very lucky my friend and you could be in for a sleepless night lol best wishes Brian. :) :) :) :) :) :)

Thanks, Brian! It is a great machine!
Shane

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:50 pm

I just bought the lot of resistors. If they are the right ones, as suspected, I will have extras. :)
Shane

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:09 pm

warp12 wrote:I bought the TT from B&C. Took 2+ months for delivery, after payment, due to vendor issues, but worth the wait. The vendor has told me that he cannot supply another TT at this time, even with 3 months of lead time.

The Hard Disks were purchased from Best Electronics.

I sincerely hope that Bruce can get his issues resolved. I went through the same thing with an order
for 2 replacement LCD's for my Atari STacy. After waiting *over* 1 calender year, I cancelled the order
and he returned my money. All that time, he was apparently so busy that he couldn't find the time to
test the panels. He said he didn't want to ship them until he checked to make sure they were working.

I know he went through a divorce, and his (now) ex-wife helped a lot with his business and her leaving
has hurt.

Bruce is good people - I'm sure he'll work it all out eventually.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:46 pm

DarkLord wrote:
Bruce is good people - I'm sure he'll work it all out eventually.

I am sure. I can't complain about the beautiful machine he prepared for me! :)

I am confident I will straighten the HD issue out. In the meantime, I have also ordered one of these:

I am going order up a USB floppy for the PC, and a supply of 1.44 disks, as well. :thumbs:
Shane

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:51 pm

The resistors arrived today, and I promptly installed them:

And, great news, the drive booted right up!

The only thing left for me to do is connect the HD LED, which I assume is a 5v connection? The HD has 2-pin 5v and 12v.

Once that is done, and I securely everything nicely, I will close it up for now. These are all of the immediate internal upgrades that I had in mind. I am excited, having went from a 2mb ST/50mb HD machine to a 10mb ST, 16mb TT, 340mb HD setup! In terms of speed and storage, this is probably the strongest Atari I have had yet. Soon I will be setting up a workstation and hopefully start actually using the machine. I also need to test my trusty old Viewsonic 22" CRT. Haven't used that puppy in a long while! :thumbs:

I'd like to thank everyone for their help thus far!!
Shane

tzok
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tzok » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:35 pm

The terminating resistors are a standard SIP resistor packs type 4308R-104-221/331 (BOURNS).

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”