zDesk

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, lp, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

Zorro
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:55 pm

Re: zDesk

Postby Zorro » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Thank you for all your comments !

calimero wrote:...zorro, if isn't secret, what you do professionaly in life?


My work is mainly in real estate, so nothing to do with the computers :wink:

User avatar
paul92706
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1401
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:28 am
Location: Orange, CA

Re: zDesk

Postby paul92706 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:41 am

wongck wrote:
nativ wrote:I'd feel happier if I could run an Atari AES environment on the PC or the MAC ;)

looks great! 8)


You can on an emulator called Aranym.

Hi wongck, where can this be downloaded? thanks kindly
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

User avatar
paul92706
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1401
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:28 am
Location: Orange, CA

Re: zDesk

Postby paul92706 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:43 am

Great job Zorro! :)
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

INSPECTOR77
Atari User
Atari User
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:28 pm

Re: zDesk

Postby INSPECTOR77 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:04 am

amazing!!!!
-2 Atari STE 4 ram
-Atari Stfm 1 ram

User avatar
nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 4089
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:26 am
Location: South West, UK

Re: zDesk

Postby nativ » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:10 am

You can on an emulator called Aranym.[/quote]
Hi wongck, where can this be downloaded? thanks kindly[/quote]


http://aranym.org/
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records

User avatar
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2207
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:01 am
Location: STara Pazova, Serbia
Contact:

Re: zDesk

Postby calimero » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:35 pm

Hi,
Just to check if you made any progress since last time
And can we expect some "beta" or similar for testing? :)
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

User avatar
AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: zDesk

Postby AtariSociety » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:20 am

Any closer to a beta of zDesk.

zDesk is one thing that would get me re-interested in Atari again on a more professional daily use basis.

Been considering buying a Firebee but would love for the desktop to be as slick as zDesk appears to be.

TJ

User avatar
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: Liège, Belgium
Contact:

Re: zDesk

Postby jfl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:51 am

macsociety wrote:zDesk is one thing that would get me re-interested in Atari again on a more professional daily use basis.

Been considering buying a Firebee but would love for the desktop to be as slick as zDesk appears to be.

Out of curiosity, what would you do with your Firebee when you would have the desktop running? It's just a desktop, finally. It lets you launch applications and manage files. I fail to see how a new desktop would allow a more professional use of an Atari.

Bear in mind that I do have a FireBee and would gladly use zDesk myself.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

User avatar
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 12420
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: Far East
Contact:

Re: zDesk

Postby wongck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:30 pm

jfl wrote: It's just a desktop, finally. It lets you launch applications and manage files. I fail to see how a new desktop would allow a more professional use of an Atari.


:lol: :lol:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: zDesk

Postby Mathias » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:54 pm

I´d say someone can of course stay alive by putting some astronaut food out of tubes inside ones stomach. But enjoying meals day after day consists of colours, good smells, diversity on the plate, different textures of different parts, the warm heat of the candle and the nice people at the table.

So if zDesk is ready, people might like to work more often with Ataris again, as I belive. ;)
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

User avatar
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 12420
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: Far East
Contact:

Re: zDesk

Postby wongck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:22 pm

Mathias wrote:I´d say someone can of course stay alive by putting some astronaut food out of tubes inside ones stomach.

[smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_19.gif]

Mathias wrote:But enjoying meals day after day consists of colours, good smells, diversity on the plate, different textures of different parts, the warm heat of the candle and the nice people at the table.

[smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_12.gif]
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

User avatar
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: Liège, Belgium
Contact:

Re: zDesk

Postby jfl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:16 pm

Mathias wrote:So if zDesk is ready, people might like to work more often with Ataris again, as I belive. ;)

That would be ideal. And I really do hope it happens. That's why I'm really intrigued but macsociety's comment. If by "professional use" he means "developing new applications", please go right ahead, buy a FireBee! :D
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

User avatar
AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: zDesk

Postby AtariSociety » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:19 pm

jfl, nope not a programmer, just a user. Been on the fence buying a Firebee. I just don't think the older desktops look up-to-date like the zDesk does. I like some of the ideas so far shown in zDesk and they sure make the desktop look much more robust.

By professional use I mean here at my home office, to have a purpose, whether it be basic web browsing with Netsurf or emails to clients, etc... Will just be for basic every day computing is all, but in a home office environment.

Believe me I have enough Macs and Amiga systems along with many other older platforms at hand but since I was raised on Atari, buying my 1st Atari 800 in 1980 with my own paper route money, and staying firm with Atari up to 1994 or so when the poo hit the fan, I am just trying to find a use and want to buy another Atari this late in the game. The Firebee may be the opportunity to do that but I need to qualify what I will use it for before I spend lots $.

I left Atari in mid 90s and went Mac. Still use Mac professionally. Found Amiga in 2010 and owner of the current top of the line AmigaOne X1000, and so wish I could find a use for an Atari too. I think the Firebee will be fun but being out of Atari so long, timid that I have forgotten way to much to make it useful again.

But something about zDesk really caught my eye and I am hoping it sees the light of day soon. This way maybe I can get it and a Firebee.

TJ

User avatar
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2207
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:01 am
Location: STara Pazova, Serbia
Contact:

Re: zDesk

Postby calimero » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:37 pm

macsociety wrote:I left Atari in mid 90s and went Mac. Still use Mac professionally. Found Amiga in 2010 and owner of the current top of the line AmigaOne X1000, and so wish I could find a use for an Atari too. I think the Firebee will be fun but being out of Atari so long, timid that I have forgotten way to much to make it useful again.

offtopic: can you open new topic and wrote few words what is possible to do with AmigeOne today as everyday office or home computer job?
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

User avatar
AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: zDesk

Postby AtariSociety » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Calimero, this is an Atari site so no need for that. Plenty of Amiga sites one can visit to see what they can do.

I use my Amigaone X1000 for every day computing. Whether it be accessing secure websites for work, emailing clients, playing music, IRC with other Amiga users, watching videos, etc.... It is fairly robust and gets me about 80% where I need to be.

My Macs do the same but take me 100% where I need to be with easy creation of video content for YouTube, music organizing with iTunes, etc...

Amiga is mostly hobby for me as i was not raised Amiga and actually prefer Atari, but at least with Amiga there is much more modern systems like the AmigaOne available where the Atari does not have the same power.

But I still dream of my Atari past and want to support Atari again so therefore a Firebee might be in my office one day.

TJ

User avatar
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2207
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:01 am
Location: STara Pazova, Serbia
Contact:

Re: zDesk

Postby calimero » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:18 pm

macsociety wrote:Calimero, this is an Atari site so no need for that. Plenty of Amiga sites one can visit to see what they can do.

yes. if I go to Amiga site and ask that simple question it will turn to flame war. believe me.
it is outstanding how people are still sensitive, emotional or whatever to Atari vs Amiga topic.
I see "Atari vs Amiga" topic as good source of new ideas and inspiration!

so please if some of moderators can remove this few post to new topic if macsociety agree :) ...I have few questions.
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

User avatar
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: Liège, Belgium
Contact:

Re: zDesk

Postby jfl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:21 pm

macsociety wrote:Found Amiga in 2010 and owner of the current top of the line AmigaOne X1000, and so wish I could find a use for an Atari too. I think the Firebee will be fun but being out of Atari so long, timid that I have forgotten way to much to make it useful again.

It's hard to answer this. I guess it depends on what your needs are. For example, I still much prefer Papyrus over any other word processor I used on other systems (and it's much faster too). For a personal use, no problem, I can use it as much a I want. But what if I need to share documents? That's where the problems begin. In my professional environment Papyrus is quite simply impossible.

The other aspect is that the FireBee is still beta hardware; some things aren't yet optimized or even implemented.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

User avatar
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2207
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:01 am
Location: STara Pazova, Serbia
Contact:

Re: zDesk

Postby calimero » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:30 pm

jfl wrote:
macsociety wrote:It's hard to answer this. I guess it depends on what your needs are. For example, I still much prefer Papyrus over any other word processor I used on other systems (and it's much faster too). For a personal use, no problem, I can use it as much a I want. But what if I need to share documents? That's where the problems begin. In my professional environment Papyrus is quite simply impossible.

Papyrus :D I have different example:

In past 9 years I worked at three companies: in every company I use Papyrus for office work but I built databases for companies need and when other employes find them useful they also start to use Papyrus at daily basis! And they preferred Papyrus simplicity and ability over Word or LibreOffice.

so, I can say that around 20 people use Papyrus at office at three different companies at daily basis - and they can not think about work without Papyrus (I am not exaggerate this - as much as they gave resistant to Papyrus at beginning, as much they love it now)!
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

User avatar
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: Liège, Belgium
Contact:

Re: zDesk

Postby jfl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:35 pm

calimero wrote:
jfl wrote:
macsociety wrote:It's hard to answer this. I guess it depends on what your needs are. For example, I still much prefer Papyrus over any other word processor I used on other systems (and it's much faster too). For a personal use, no problem, I can use it as much a I want. But what if I need to share documents? That's where the problems begin. In my professional environment Papyrus is quite simply impossible.

Papyrus :D I have different example:

In past 9 years I worked at three companies: in every company I use Papyrus for office work but I built databases for companies need and when other employes find them useful they also start to use Papyrus at daily basis! And they preferred Papyrus simplicity and ability over Word or LibreOffice.

so, I can say that around 20 people use Papyrus at office at three different companies at daily basis - and they can not think about work without Papyrus (I am not exaggerate this - as much as they gave resistant to Papyrus at beginning, as much they love it now)!

Sure, but I suspect you're talking about the Windows or Mac versions of Papyrus. I'm talking about the Atari one, which is much older and unsupported.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

User avatar
calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2207
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:01 am
Location: STara Pazova, Serbia
Contact:

Re: zDesk

Postby calimero » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:41 pm

^
yes, PC version... 11.xx & 12.xx (last english versions) from ~2007.

but they are not much different than Papyrus 10, last Atari version!

I even try to use databases that I built for companies on ~100MHz Atari and they work surpassingly well! :)

---

last XX post should be transferred to new topic: "usability of old computers" :) or similar...
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

User avatar
Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 875
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:08 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: zDesk

Postby Zogging Hell » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:45 pm

Atari Papyrus X can output in Word format (well 97 - 2000 version doc file anyway), which means most stuff can be open on other computers unless you use Atari specific stuff or try and get to clever with layout. I'm toying with the idea of using it to write the bulk of my PhD on the Firebee, it's the printing that is more of an issue at the moment and even that is surmountable.
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

User avatar
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: Liège, Belgium
Contact:

Re: zDesk

Postby jfl » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:46 am

Zogging Hell wrote:Atari Papyrus X can output in Word format (well 97 - 2000 version doc file anyway), which means most stuff can be open on other computers unless you use Atari specific stuff or try and get to clever with layout.

That's the theory. In reality, the so-called Word format is an older version of RTF (there are zero differences between a file saved as Word or RTF from Papyrus) which is badly supported by current word processors.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 596
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:39 pm

Re: zDesk

Postby vido » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:20 am

Zogging Hell wrote:I'm toying with the idea of using it to write the bulk of my PhD on the Firebee, it's the printing that is more of an issue at the moment and even that is surmountable.

Just install papyrus view under windows and print your papyrus documents written on atari. I do that and it works great.

User avatar
Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 875
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:08 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: zDesk

Postby Zogging Hell » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:05 pm

jfl wrote:
Zogging Hell wrote:Atari Papyrus X can output in Word format (well 97 - 2000 version doc file anyway), which means most stuff can be open on other computers unless you use Atari specific stuff or try and get to clever with layout.

That's the theory. In reality, the so-called Word format is an older version of RTF (there are zero differences between a file saved as Word or RTF from Papyrus) which is badly supported by current word processors.


Hhhmm not so good, I must admit I'd only tried text only documents with it and not pictures or anything too clever. Will have to try that. However from my perspective that isn't an issue, I have PCs and Macs with versions of Word running from a 486 with Word 97 to Word 2003 so it should only take a couple of conversions (and numerous different PCs... ah hold on... :roll: )
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

User avatar
Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 875
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:08 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: zDesk

Postby Zogging Hell » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:07 pm

vido wrote:
Zogging Hell wrote:I'm toying with the idea of using it to write the bulk of my PhD on the Firebee, it's the printing that is more of an issue at the moment and even that is surmountable.

Just install papyrus view under windows and print your papyrus documents written on atari. I do that and it works great.


Yeah I thought that was a possibility or use Wongs net print program I guess; anyway this has drifted off topic, apologies..
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours


Social Media

     

Return to “Professionals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mzry and 2 guests