Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., lp, [ProToS], Moderator Team

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: PH Easy Remote Print - RAW, LPD and now Google Cloud Pri

Postby wongck » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:55 pm

Hope it works well. :-)

I just tried sending RTF from ATARI WORKS to Google Cloud Print.
Unfortunately, the fonts face and graphics did not come out, all text did with the usual underline, bold etc.
I guess it does not understand the Bitstream fonts..... :(
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: PH Easy Remote Print - RAW, LPD and now Google Cloud Pri

Postby joska » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:46 pm

wongck wrote:I just tried sending RTF from ATARI WORKS to Google Cloud Print.
Unfortunately, the fonts face and graphics did not come out, all text did with the usual underline, bold etc.
I guess it does not understand the Bitstream fonts..... :(

IIRC Atari Works embed IMG images in it's RTF files, which is not supported by anything else. Also, font-support is not very good in RTF.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: PH Easy Remote Print - RAW, LPD and now Google Cloud Print

Postby Gamer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:48 am

Hello,

I am using (or trying to use) PHERP on my Firebee and have had some success. I can get it to print using the RAW protocol The LDP protocol, cannot seem to get it to work. What are some sample "Server Names" and "Print Ques"? I could be typing the wrong things. The Google Cloud Print just keeps crashing my Firebee when it tries to authenticate. Everything goes fine until I type in the code and accept. Sometimes I get an authenticate error and then my Firebee crashes, but Goodle Cloud Print always says that Probe House has access to my printers. Just nothing on the Firebee end. I have a HP Officejet Pro 8600 wireless printer connected to a PC. Any ideas on how to get everything working?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:43 am

Hi, Thank you for trying PHERP.

RAW protocol is the most basic protocol so that is why it works. Which is good, means your FB can see the wireless printer.

LPD is slightly difficult to setup. Most of the printer that I can do LPD are the Multi function Printer where i can see those information/settings via a browser. IIRC, HP printers also allows you to see the printer settings via the browser, you just need to enter the IP address of the printer into the address URL field of the browser. So that's also your Server Name (most likely) to be used on PHERP.
As for the queue name, it depends on the printer/make/model. But a quick Google came out this as the 2nd hit (1st hit was from MS so... I skip it)
https://www.brooksnet.com/content/faq-l ... nt-servers
Look for the HP entries. I have no idea if these will work. Best bet may be your HP user manual, if they have it written in there.

The most difficult to configure is Google print but it's great if you can do it because it understands stuff like HTML, GIF, RTF, WORD doc etc and can render it correctly. But it is depending on what Google have not changed. I must say i have not used Google print for sometime now, mostly because I turn off my Internet access most of the time due to hacking. I will test this out on my FB.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:44 pm

I tested Cloud print on my FB.
It was already configured so I deleted the CFG file to restart the authentication.

I was able to get the new code from my FB and entered it from my Windows machine.
On the FB, the code window disappeared several seconds after the code was entered... but with an authentication failed.

I closed and open PHERP again, clicked on authenticate button again and got another code.
Again I entered it from my Windows machine.
On the FB, the code window disappeared several seconds after the code was entered... and the list of shared printer appeared.
So everything went smoothly the 2nd time. and PHERP auto selected the 1st shared printer.
I did the test print and it printed out on my shared printer (shared via Chrome as a classic printer).

it did not crash on my FB, I do not know what happened on your FB.

Have you tried using cloud print from another device... may be you have an android phone to print from, just to test.

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Gamer » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:48 pm

Thanks wongck for the reply. I try out some things and let you know.

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Gamer » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:14 pm

Okay I have been trying to get the LPD to work and still get the error 20. wongck, you said you got it to work with a Win 7 computer. That is what my wife has. How about letting me know (kind of) the settings you used and where these settings are on the computer/print. I am assuming the IP address oi the LPD server is the IP address of the computer. The printer queue is where I think I am having problems. My printer is a MFD, so I assume I could just connect to it. Again, I know the IP address, but I am not sure of the queue or where to look for it. I am thinking I set that up where I installed it.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:50 pm

For your MFD, seems like you need a static ip address and using a blank queue name
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Pri ... 415/page/3
but it will not work as PHERP expects a printer name.

For setting up an LPD server on Win 7, please see lpd service section in PHERP doc.

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Gamer » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:36 pm

Hmm. I used a printer instead of an IP address along with a blank que name and I get an error 30. What does that mean?

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Gamer » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:04 pm

Well called HP support and no help there. Tried every combo of entries and nothing. I get either the error 20 or error 30. What were your entries that worked with your win 7 machine?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:56 pm

double post
Last edited by wongck on Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:06 pm

Hi Edward,
Error 20 means it canot connect to the lpd service - meaning no answer when PHERP ask for OK to spool file. Normally means nothing is replying to port 515.
Error 30 means server or printer not defined. This means you have either a blank for server name or printer queue. Like I mentioned in previous post, putting blank in printer queue will not work for PHERP as it expecting a queue name.
Can you try to trick it by putting in a space ?
I cannot try this as I do not know how to share out a printer with no name on my Windows PC.

Here's what i did on my Windows for sharing a named printer:
I had turn on lpd service as per the https://danielgibbs.co.uk/tag/lpd/.
The part where it says share a printer, I shared out my USB HP printer using name "hp".
- goto Devices & printer
- right click "printer properties" on the printer to be shared out
- tick "share this printer" and under share name I used a short name "hp".

Then on PHERP I just used my computer hostname as the server name and the queue name as 'hp".

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:21 am

For most LPR printers, the queue name can be anything - I tend to use 'print'.

Most production printers and linux / windows / mac servers running LPD will require the correct queue name.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Gamer » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:48 pm

Sorry it took me so long to answer. Been busy at the hospital where I work and my Falcon took a dive when I was using your old program Phem. I belive the IDE cable was bad or else the drive , so I am getting a CF option from Best Electronics. Luckily I had Phem on my SCSI Jaz drive along with my data file. Now I am booting from a floppy and PHem is working great again.

Now to my LDP problem. I will take your suggestions and see what happens, but I am wondering. Do I have to install the LDP service on the PC? All I have done is just activate it. I download a file that installs the service and now I am in the process of setting it up and installing it. I will let you know just what happens.

The google print option is still crashing the Firebee or really just locking it up after I click on the PC to send the ok to the FB. I am doing this using a wireless device by Netgear on the FB. Should I try a direct hookup? I am thinking that would be better

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:07 pm

Thanks for using and writing about PHEM.

On the LPD, Yes, when you enable or turn on it on the feature on your PC, it will run as a service.
I don't think you specifically have to to it manually, as by enabling it, windows will auto do it for you.
I did not have to dl any files, as it was part of windows.
Capture.JPG

This is how it is enabled on my windows 10 now.

As for Google print, unfortunately I do not have a network attached printer, so I cannot test how it behave using a network attached printer. I only tested on a printer shared via Chrome on my Win10.

Good luck, may the force be with you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Gamer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:34 pm

OK I see. I already enabled the LDP service in Windows 7. I do have a question. When you enter in the settings in PH EP in the LDP section, are you basically using settings that belong to the printer you are trying to print to or the computer connected to the printer.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:53 pm

The settings of the computer.
The host name is the name of the computer where the printer is connected to.
The print queue name is the name of the queue that is shared from the computer.

note that the host name must be resolvable by your network DNS, else you use the ip address of the host name.

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Gamer » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:16 pm

Well I have and tried on the LDP and still nothing. I have typed in the server name or IP address of the server along with the name of the printer share name. I am wondering if it is my router. Kind of funny since the Raw functions works fine (except I cannot print in color). On a good note the Google Print worked for a little while. I received my list of the printers, which was great. I could not do a test print though. However, I quit the program and came back to it later and noticed that my printer list was gone and I was being asked to authenticate again. Now when I tried to do that, the Firebee did not crash, but the program did. I had to reload it in and was told the authentication process not not done. I will let it go and try again later. PHERP is suppose to save those Google Print settings upon quiting , correct?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:06 am

Raw print is working by directly printing to the printer = atari -> printer.
LPD is printing via the LPD server = atari -> lpd server (the computer) and then the lpd server -> printer.
Google print via Google server = Atari -> Google server then Google server -> Google chrome and then Google Chrome -> printer.

Google print will saves any successful authentication and reuse it. Mine been connecting for years and it is still connecting.
All saves are done on exiting.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:40 am

You need to test the lpd server from another device.
  1. On your computer where the lpd server resides, look into the what's printing on the printer.
  2. Then pause that printer. (On windows, that would be Printer>Pause Printing )
  3. Then print from your other computer using LPR.
  4. If you see jobs coming in there, then it is working. Unpause to get it printed.
You can also test Google cloud print via an Android phone by installing cloud print on it. That how I toyed with cloud print first.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: PH Easy Remote Print - RAW, LPD, Google Cloud Print & parallel port redirector

Postby wongck » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:33 pm

PHERP v3.0 now comes with parallel port redirector.

Redirect your parallel port output directly to your network printer.
The redirector lpherp.xdd will notify PHERP when a print job is ready for sending to the network printer.
No need to continuously monitor a folder for files, releasing precious CPU time for your other applications.

Get it from my webpages.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”