Atari Themed Clock face - chimes, alarms and mouse fix

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

AtFaCT
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: Atari Themed Clock face - chimes, alarms and mouse fix

Postby AtFaCT » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:39 pm

wongck wrote:It's difficult when 2 audio player is using the audio system. There is no default mixer, one have to make a mixer by themselves. Such system related section should be a bigger part of the OS audio system. Not specifically done by a player. What if another player comes along, then it is different way of implementing sound again. I try to hijack the audio system and give back to Paula or what ever audio software is using it. Sometime it works but not always, as it is more or less in the middle of playing a sample.

Thank you for the explanation. Didn´t know that it´s that complex. Nonetheless, a huge thank you for this fix.

wongck wrote:PH Player v3 code is inside PH Clock.
That's why it is so easy for me to make sample player for PH Clock.
Midi capability is in v4.
Unfortunately, the source code for v4 is lost when both my Falcon hd crashed (due to MagiC) and my SCSI hd (IBM hd) backup failed to work.

That´s a pity :( Version 4 is a cool proggy that would have required just some brushing up.

Best regards,
AtFaCT

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:24 pm

I always wondered why there is no generic MIDI software-only player for the Atari.
One must have some additional hardware to listen to MIDI.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

AtFaCT
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AtFaCT » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:48 am

Hi WongCK,

I´m creating a Clockface Extension Pack for PH Clock :D It´s almost finished. Yesterday, I tried to make special 256-colour versions of the clockfaces for users with such a resolution (one of the most used res I think). They look much better than true-colour pictures that have to be converted by the LDG system. There´s a problem due to the PNG format and/or the LDG system, though; in PH Clock, they doesn´t look as intended (still some colours are dithered altough I tried to avoid that). A solution to this problem could be the native colour-indexed format GEM IMG. I was wondering if you could use that format if it´s available in PH Clock´s clockface directory. What do you think?

wongck wrote:It's difficult when 2 audio player is using the audio system. There is no default mixer, one have to make a mixer by themselves. Such system related section should be a bigger part of the OS audio system. Not specifically done by a player. What if another player comes along, then it is different way of implementing sound again. I try to hijack the audio system and give back to Paula or what ever audio software is using it. Sometime it works but not always, as it is more or less in the middle of playing a sample.

I have an idea. A simple one :D Could you turn off sample replay for PH Clock if DMA audio is being used by another program? If you don´t like the idea, you could make it at least available as an option is the configuration dialogue, couldn´t you?

Best regards,
AtFaCT

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:31 pm

AtFaCT wrote:I´m creating a Clockface Extension Pack for PH Clock :D It´s almost finished. Yesterday, I tried to make special 256-colour versions of the clockfaces for users with such a resolution (one of the most used res I think). They look much better than true-colour pictures that have to be converted by the LDG system. There´s a problem due to the PNG format and/or the LDG system, though; in PH Clock, they doesn´t look as intended (still some colours are dithered altough I tried to avoid that). A solution to this problem could be the native colour-indexed format GEM IMG. I was wondering if you could use that format if it´s available in PH Clock´s clockface directory. What do you think?

That's great thanks.
As for the difference in 256 version, I used PNG because it is suppose to be lossless and so reproduction of graphics should be good.
I am not sure what LDG does, as I just use it as it is. I have no experience in making graphics on the ST.
I can also make use of the other codecs in the zCodecs. I am not sure if GEM IMG is one of them. I will have to check.

AtFaCT wrote:I have an idea. A simple one :D Could you turn off sample replay for PH Clock if DMA audio is being used by another program? If you don´t like the idea, you could make it at least available as an option is the configuration dialogue, couldn´t you?

I guess that would be like turning off both Chine and Alarm on the config window, no?
May be not auto :P
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

AtFaCT
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AtFaCT » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:44 pm

wongck wrote:As for the difference in 256 version, I used PNG because it is suppose to be lossless and so reproduction of graphics should be good.
I am not sure what LDG does, as I just use it as it is. I have no experience in making graphics on the ST.
I can also make use of the other codecs in the zCodecs. I am not sure if GEM IMG is one of them. I will have to check.

Yes, there´s a GEM IMG codec. Please send me the new version via PM. Thank you.

wongck wrote:
AtFaCT wrote:I have an idea. A simple one :D Could you turn off sample replay for PH Clock if DMA audio is being used by another program? If you don´t like the idea, you could make it at least available as an option is the configuration dialogue, couldn´t you?

I guess that would be like turning off both Chine and Alarm on the config window, no?
May be not auto :P

I don´t know if I understand you. Of course, I can turn off chime and alarm samples, but it´s annoying to do that each time if it can be handled automatically via software: DMA sound active -> no sound by PH Clock, and just as an option in the configuration dialogue ("No sound if DMA audio is being used"). Sometimes I hear several MOD files, sometimes I play only one or no one at all, can´t say that before. This way, everyone should be satisfied :D

Best regards,
AtFaCT

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:57 am

Sent me a IMG so that I can get something to work/test on.

AtFaCT
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AtFaCT » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:26 am

Hi WongCK,

I tried IMG codec in PH Clock, but, as supposed, the images look identically to the ones converted by the PNG codec. Hence I modified the clockfaces manually. As it seems that the new version needs much more RAM, I'd suggest to remove the IMG codec stuff. PH Clock needs two or three times more memory than the previous versions (even if I I don't use GEM IMG pictures).

Do you know why the latest version of PH Clock doesn´t display the clockfaces in the order of the numbers of the pictures?

And another issue: There's still a problem with the redraw. When I disable the second hand, the clock window isn´t always updated under MagiC (and maybe also under MiNT/XaAES). Here's an example: Clock window is covered partly by a text edit window of qed. When I click on the visible part of clock window in order to top it, the non-visible part is not drawn. Oddly, this doesn't apply to qed's non-modal dialogues or jinnee's windows.

By the way, the Clockface Extension Pack is ready. I've been waiting for permission to release some clockfaces, though, since I'd like to use some very nice pictures from a clock manufacturer. Keep your finger's crossed for me.

Last but not least: Thank you for the Smart Audio option. You rock! :cheers:

Best regards,
AtFaCT

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:34 pm

AtFaCT wrote:I tried IMG codec in PH Clock, but, as supposed, the images look identically to the ones converted by the PNG codec. Hence I modified the clockfaces manually. As it seems that the new version needs much more RAM, I'd suggest to remove the IMG codec stuff. PH Clock needs two or three times more memory than the previous versions (even if I I don't use GEM IMG pictures).

Sure because it is getting ready to load other formats of images, not just IMG.
So you can make it in JPG, GIF, BMP, GOD and whatever zCodec supports.
This does not severely limit it to PNG.
Not a good idea because of memory ? But we all have so much memory in our CT6x and FireBee.... no ?

AtFaCT wrote:Do you know why the latest version of PH Clock doesn´t display the clockfaces in the order of the numbers of the pictures?

Yes, it loads the images as it finds the files. Because now the amount of permutations of file extension just went up by 11 times, it takes too much for me to come up with a proper way. If we revert back to PNG only, then I will put back the old method.

AtFaCT wrote:And another issue: There's still a problem with the redraw. When I disable the second hand, the clock window isn´t always updated under MagiC (and maybe also under MiNT/XaAES). Here's an example: Clock window is covered partly by a text edit window of qed. When I click on the visible part of clock window in order to top it, the non-visible part is not drawn. Oddly, this doesn't apply to qed's non-modal dialogues or jinnee's windows.

I will check again, not sure why. It is using the non-blocking windows updates.

AtFaCT wrote:By the way, the Clockface Extension Pack is ready. I've been waiting for permission to release some clockfaces, though, since I'd like to use some very nice pictures from a clock manufacturer. Keep your finger's crossed for me.

Last but not least: Thank you for the Smart Audio option. You rock! :cheers:

Excellent... thanks.
Looking forward to the new faces.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:36 pm

AtFaCT wrote:And another issue: There's still a problem with the redraw. When I disable the second hand, the clock window isn´t always updated under MagiC (and maybe also under MiNT/XaAES). Here's an example: Clock window is covered partly by a text edit window of qed. When I click on the visible part of clock window in order to top it, the non-visible part is not drawn. Oddly, this doesn't apply to qed's non-modal dialogues or jinnee's windows.

I disable second hand. I had QED edit window partially cover ph clock. Waited for 2 mins. Then click on ph clock to top it, the entire clock is redrawn.
can you let me know the specific way to make this happen?

Note that redraw does not happen when ph clock cannot get hold of the screen, or another application does not release screen control.

BTW, I am using that red & black clock face, very nice. :cheers:

AtFaCT
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AtFaCT » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:20 pm

wongck wrote:Sure because it is getting ready to load other formats of images, not just IMG.
So you can make it in JPG, GIF, BMP, GOD and whatever zCodec supports.
This does not severely limit it to PNG.
Not a good idea because of memory ? But we all have so much memory in our CT6x and FireBee.... no ?

AtFaCT wrote:Do you know why the latest version of PH Clock doesn´t display the clockfaces in the order of the numbers of the pictures?

Yes, it loads the images as it finds the files. Because now the amount of permutations of file extension just went up by 11 times, it takes too much for me to come up with a proper way. If we revert back to PNG only, then I will put back the old method.

I´m using "just" 64 MB. And I think normal Falcon users should also be able to enjoy your clock :) So, yes, please support only PNG. Additionally, we´ll get rid of this order issue :mrgreen:

wongck wrote:I disable second hand. I had QED edit window partially cover ph clock. Waited for 2 mins. Then click on ph clock to top it, the entire clock is redrawn.
can you let me know the specific way to make this happen?

Now I know why: The last version you sent me has redraw problems, but not the previous one from 13th November.

wongck wrote:Excellent... thanks.
Looking forward to the new faces.

Check your mailbox :D

Best regards,
AtFaCT

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:29 pm

Ok will revert back. I think PNG is good enough. :mrgreen:

Playmobil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Playmobil » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:51 pm

1st @wongck, sorry for my english :

I have tried PHCLOCK (yes we are in 2017 ! :mrgreen: ), and I've seen that the transparency of the PNG isn't possible...

It'is possible nowaday to make that possible ? And possible to remove the white border at the outside ?

Thanks in advance.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:38 pm

unfortunately, not.
AFAIK, The VDI raster function that comes in the ROM does not do that.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:26 am

wongck wrote:unfortunately, not.
AFAIK, The VDI raster function that comes in the ROM does not do that.

Yes and no. It requires much more work. It takes 2 blits to achieve the transparent effect. vrt_cpyfm() and vro_cpyfm() are used. I did it in my Boing demo.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:23 am

Wow. that can be done ?
How ?
I only used vro_cpyfm().
Really I am horrible at graphics, that's why I use zView libraries.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:31 am

Using zView libraries is smart, no need to reinvent loading routines. You can see results here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGmxM1JjE1w
The first blit is vrt_cpyfm() with a 1-plane mask followed by a second blit with vro_cpyfm(). My Boing demo is also using off screen bitmaps, but I could of done this in my own buffer. NVDI just made it a little easier, handles the ram allocation for me, etc. The off screen bitmap is used to hide the construction of the frames.

I don't know that I can explain it sufficiently, but there are open projects using this method, some urls:
http://ptonthat.fr/files/temp/ (X2 project) "GFA"
https://ptonthat.fr/teenage-queen-reloaded/ "GFA"
http://atari.daroou.fr/ "C"

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Ha ha... yeah smart indeed.
I can't even wrap my head reducing a 24-bit RGB to a 3-bit planar graphics.

Thanks for explaining... will try it and see if it works for me.

I think the nvdi new raster function will be able to do it as well, as it is more powerful than the ROM version.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Playmobil wrote:It'is possible nowaday to make that possible ? And possible to remove the white border at the outside ?

The white border may be due to the window, i am not sure.
the PNG is drawn on top of a window.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:29 pm

wongck wrote:Ha ha... yeah smart indeed.
I can't even wrap my head reducing a 24-bit RGB to a 3-bit planar graphics.

Thanks for explaining... will try it and see if it works for me.

I think the nvdi new raster function will be able to do it as well, as it is more powerful than the ROM version.

I don't think I explained it well at all. ;) There's no reducing per say, the ball in the video is a 16 plane blit, granted it's not a particularly colorful animation. It appears to have about 5 or so colors, but that's not the case. You take the image you want to blit, and generate a special 1-plane mask for it. So if I run this demo in 24-bit, its blitting a 1-plane mask and a 24-bit ball. NVDI doesn't really provide any extra blit calls to ease this procedure other than the off screen bitmaps. The mask is the key, it determines which color will be considered transparent when the 2 blits occur.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:44 pm

i will need to look at the code to see it.

i also quickly looked up nvdi 5 vr_transfer_bits() call. it has a transparent mode which it explain as if ( src != bg_col ) dst = src;
but doing this will tie down the program to nvdi 5 only.
And as I found... nvdi 5 breaks some stuff... well mostly printing i guess. which not a lot ppl cares about anyway.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:32 pm

I've seen those extra calls now that you mention it, but all I have is german nvdi 5 docs and no example code. I just wrote them off as not usable. Would be nice if NVDI could do that in one call. I forgot to look at toshyp. :lol: Maybe I try some tests sometime with that vdi call.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:43 pm

That is one nice nvdi 5 api.... just about the only thing i like about it.
it does automatic colour depth conversion as well but then I do not like being tied down by it.

Playmobil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Playmobil » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks LP ! Maybe wongck can make a PHCLOCKV2.0 now, ! :D

Hazzardus
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hazzardus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:30 pm

Just an idea I had for a clockface... Feel free to do what you want with it.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:19 am

Hazzardus wrote:Just an idea I had for a clockface... Feel free to do what you want with it.

That's nice. Thanks.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”