Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

MiNT 1.17 works with problems

Postby Paolo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi all.
I finally decided to post my problems in running 1.17.

Preface: I am a happy 1.16 user, I have an Eiffel board, an EtherNat board and a CT60 fully working.
My MiNT install works perfectly, loading extensions, setting up the network, sync'ing to a time server, mounting a windows and a mac share (after MINT.CNF, by executing init), and lauching naaes with Jinnee.

I made the 'quick switch' to 1.17, and after a little triggering everything seemed to work nicely. BUT!

1. wrong time sync. I get 1 hour offset, no matter what.
2. no more res-change
3. I can't understand what some of the new modules do
4. why is the new ethernat module so tiny?
5. may I load an Italian keyboard layout instead of using the italian keyboard layout loaded in Eiffel?

Maybe these seem pretty lame excuses to stay on 1.16, but since it is so well-tuned to me, I am not staying in 1.17 until the wrinkles are ironed out.
Hence, I need your help, folks!

pleeeease?!

m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: MiNT 1.17 works with problems

Postby m0n0 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:40 pm

1. wrong time sync. I get 1 hour offset, no matter what.

You could also turn off the time sync, it should be saved somewhere, anyway, or is that wrong? You could also try to use my tool timeC: http://freeshell.de/~monokrom/monochrom ... mec1_3.zip (the magicNet version should works with mintnet, too)

There you can configure an offset within the config file ( which is very statically defined ;) )

...also try different server, if the default is not working well for you:
like these:
ntp1.fau.de
ntp2.fau.de
ntp3.fau.de

2. no more res-change

Oh, I haven't noticed that until now... but you can adjust you xaaes config, I guess you know that? Maybe should ask about that on the freemint list? I don't know why this feature is removed...

3. I can't understand what some of the new modules do

Which ones? Probably You don't need modules that you didn't need with 1.16.3...

5. may I load an Italian keyboard layout instead of using the italian keyboard layout loaded in Eiffel?

Why not ;) ?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:27 am

It's not really Mint working with problems but rather you have problems working with it :wink:
No really, it's your customization that needs to be tweaked.
Expectation that an minor upgrade will not give much usage problems is true.
(Nothing like the huge headache when changing from WXP to W7)

Stay with it, and you will get them fixed !!
Sounds like your setup is great... auto sync time, auto mounting network drive... WOW !!
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:52 am

Wow! You flooded me with.comments. Thanks.

Let's see:

Time issue: I noticed your app, but I didn't try it yet. My time setup comes from a bad experience after installing mint the first time, when it seemed that every application took the time from different places (led panel, aclock. Ztask...)
I finally managed to set the time settings in mint.cnf to fix this, so I set the timezone (cet/cest) and the clock mode in utc. Then I added a line in one of the rc. Files (can't check now, it seems local or net) to sync with a time server, and I never changed that. But 1.17 adds this weird offset.

Wong: come on! You know it's never the user's fault! :lol:

Keyboard: how do I load a table?

Resolution change: I currently use the higher res I can, and it is in 256 col, but sometimes I do need tc and I have to switch; so until I get supervidel, I can't stay on a single res previously set in the config file.

I am not close to my falcon now, so I plan to add more details later. Thank you!
Last edited by Paolo on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:21 pm

Paolo wrote:Time issue: I noticed your app, but I didn't try it yet. My time setup comes from a bad experience after installing mint the first time, when it seemed that every application took the time from different places (led panel, aclock. Ztask...)
I finally managed to set the time settings in mint.cnf to fix this, so I set the timezone (cet/cest) and the clock mode in utc. Then I added a line in one of the rc. Files (can't check now, it seems local or net) to sync with a time server, and I never changed that. But 1.17 adds this weird offset.

did you exec tzinit -l command?
This sets your time as local time for the timezone, otherwise it thinks it is UTC time but your time zone is CET.

Paolo wrote:Wong: come on! You know it's never the user's fault! :lol:

:mrgreen:

Paolo wrote:Keyboard: how do I load a table?

Copy from the c:/mint/1-17-0/Keyboard/italian.tbl to c:/mint/1-17-0/ and rename it to keyboard.tbl.
Mint will load the Italian keyboard tables.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:09 pm

wongck, I try to be a respectful MiNT user, so my clock ticks in UTC (remember an old flamewar on mintlist), but my setup works. If I run tzinit, i get "timezone CET, clock in UTC" and all my timestamps are good, an all my clocks work great.
Mind you, I even run zic (once, when I setup the whole thing). Nothing indicates that 1.17 needs to show that offset.
Ah, also, don't forget that I sync the clock at boottime (and I can read usually a very little adjustment made to the clock, some +/-0.1seconds)

I don't really understand...

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:04 pm

HA!
Almost sorted the time thing!!!

I blame it on ntpdate version 4.0.2 + MiNT1.17

explanation:
i use the ntpdate program on startup during the init, and it always set the time right. I also notice a couple of timeouts and then the sync in the 'scrolling log'
When using 1.17, the timeouts aren't there and I get a 3600 sec shift.
At first this made me think about the very different implementation of the net section, and this sensation is confirmed by the very different speed of NetSurf.

So I just thought of "slowing things down a bit" by keeping ntpdate busy, so I used:
ntpdate $timeserver -> always 3600 sec offset
ntpdate -B $timeserver ->time gets fixed once if the difference is high (like 10-20 minutes) otherwise it breaks things
ntpdate -b $timeserver ->time never gets fixed
ntpdate -B -d -> always OK unless big time difference

It seems to me that somehow this program can't talk with the new MiNT 1.17 and reads a strange value of time somewhere.

I'd like to know if there is a newer ntpdate for mint (I have the one Standa Ophical compiled long ago) that could fix this.

In the meanwhile I think I can live with this little hack on 1.17: in rc.local I first do a ntpdate (that in 1.17 breaks the time) and then a ntpdate -B (that fix it)
So, almost resolved :-)

About m0n0 program, I don't think I can run it from init, but it works great!

m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby m0n0 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:37 pm

About m0n0 program, I don't think I can run it from init, but it works great!

You can do that, but you have to set the messages config entry to 0... That's how I have done it with my falcon when the battery was empty.

Heres an new version oft ntp:
http://www.radix.net/~atari/mint/ntp-4. ... nt.tar.bz2

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:41 pm

I too experience a 1 hour delay in my clock, whatever fiddlings I do to the time settings. This is with the ntpdate version m0n0 just provided a link to. I'll try your "little hack".
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:13 am

after a few hours, I can confirm you that my hack works: by launching first ntpdate and then ntpdate -B I can read a 0.1sec offset first (but that sets a wrong time) and then a 3600sec offset (that corrects the first wrong timeset).

The only problem happens if there is a timeout during this double ntpdate (of course), and it happened only once today in my >20 reboots, due to a LAN slowdown

of course, this is a temporary hack, and I plan to check the usefulness of the program m0n0 wrote (timec)

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:16 am

In the meanwhile (and this explains all those reboots I wrote about) I managed to have a pretty 1.17 working setup. But now it's very late (01:15 CET, hehe) and it's bedtime :-) more details tomorrow

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:20 am

So the ntp time setting program was the culprit?

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:19 pm

more or less ;-)

I still don't like the fact I cant change res, so I decided to stay on truecolour at a lower resolution, but I miss the nearly 900x700...

helmut
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby helmut » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Paolo wrote:more or less ;-)

I still don't like the fact I cant change res, so I decided to stay on truecolour at a lower resolution, but I miss the nearly 900x700...

Would it work to just run XaAES again with another video= in xaaes.cnf to get the desired resolution?

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:10 pm

Hmmm... I didn't try it. I only tried to change the resolution in the .cnf and then "quit xaaes", that reboots xaaes with the new resolution. I didn't try to relaunch while xaaes was still on.

However, what bugs me is just that the resolution changer vanished. Who knows if there were problems with that.

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Paolo wrote:However, what bugs me is just that the resolution changer vanished. Who knows if there were problems with that.

You should join the MiNT mailing list and ask about it. There may have been a good reason for removing this option. The menu item is still present, only greyed out.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:23 pm

I noticed it.
I am actually on the mailing list, but I should check my registration, since I don't receive mails anymore...

helmut
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby helmut » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Paolo wrote:Hmmm... I didn't try it. I only tried to change the resolution in the .cnf and then "quit xaaes", that reboots xaaes with the new resolution. I didn't try to relaunch while xaaes was still on.

I meant that. So you only need to change the video-Parameter and restart XaAES. If you run it from a shell, it should be easy, you could also use the include-feature for that. Latest version has a shortcut to restart in any situation (Ctrl-Alt-J).

However, what bugs me is just that the resolution changer vanished. Who knows if there were problems with that.

Don't know, but it only makes sense on some platforms anyway. I guess there is a res-change-dialog in teradesk?

I think the res-change-stuff should go away completely from XaAES!

Better discuss that on mintlist.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:49 am

Paolo wrote:I noticed it.
I am actually on the mailing list, but I should check my registration, since I don't receive mails anymore...

May be your ISP/email prg is thinking it as junk mail. :wink:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:53 am

helmut wrote:I meant that. So you only need to change the video-Parameter and restart XaAES. If you run it from a shell, it should be easy, you could also use the include-feature for that. Latest version has a shortcut to restart in any situation (Ctrl-Alt-J).

Thanks Helmut.
A restart would be the way to change rez.
Didn't know CTRL_ALT-J will do a restart, .... I know I ought to read those text in the ABOUT dialog :lol:

helmut
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby helmut » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:16 am

wongck wrote:
helmut wrote:I meant that. So you only need to change the video-Parameter and restart XaAES. If you run it from a shell, it should be easy, you could also use the include-feature for that. Latest version has a shortcut to restart in any situation (Ctrl-Alt-J).

Thanks Helmut.
A restart would be the way to change rez.
Didn't know CTRL_ALT-J will do a restart, .... I know I ought to read those text in the ABOUT dialog :lol:

It's brandnew, not in the 0.999-XaAES from the 1.17-release. Latest builds are available here:

http://www.freemint.org/builds

I'd like to know if there is anything that has to be done by XaAES for res-change, except a restart with the new video-parameter.

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Hey! I got the 02032011 snapshot, and I can't CTRL-J :-(

Did it last just a couple of days in the snap?

helmut
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby helmut » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:13 pm

Paolo wrote:Hey! I got the 02032011 snapshot, and I can't CTRL-J :-(

Did it last just a couple of days in the snap?

Just checked the 01-03-version, and it works. BTW: It's Ctrl-Alt-J.

For the res-change it is planned to use an external app (to be written) that writes something into video.cnf to be included in xaaes.cnf.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:26 pm

helmut wrote:For the res-change it is planned to use an external app (to be written) that writes something into video.cnf to be included in xaaes.cnf.

Yeah cool. :cheers:
One of the reasons I asked for the xaaes.cnf include function was to include the video= settings.
With me, I pick the desired resolution when the Atari boots up.

Writing a app to do that would be great, may be just ask Didier if his CPX can do that.
I think he is writing already into the newdesk.inf & magic config file.

Latz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Latz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi,
Didier is informed about the new include option in xaaes.cnf.
BTW., VIDEOCNF.CPX writes to newdesk.inf, magx.inf, fvdi.sys and/or
myaes.cnf (depending on which files are used and present).

Latz
Falcon/CT60 90MHz, 14+128 MB RAM, CTPCI/Radeon 9250/RTL8139, Carte Eiffel+LCD, 80GB IDE HD, DVD-RW.
Falcon/CT63 95 MHz, 4+128 MB RAM, CTPCI/Radeon 9250/RTL8139, Carte Eiffel+LCD, 80GB IDE HD, CD-RW.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”